Skip to content
Search AI Powered

Latest Stories

The Rock Promises To 'Do Better' After Backlash To Maui Wildfire Fund Announcement

Dwayne The Rock Johnson
Scott Taetsch/Getty Images

The actor took to Instagram to admit he 'could have been better' with how he and Oprah announced their People's Fund of Maui by asking people for money following the devastating wildfires.

Make us preferred on Google

Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson has taken to Instagram to address the backlash to his fundraising initiative in the wake of the devastating wildfires in Maui.

Johnson teamed up with Oprah Winfrey in August to launch the People's Fund for Maui, a charity fund he and Winfrey started with $10 million seed money as a place for people to donate money to relief efforts following the fires.


But given that Johnson is said to be worth around $270 million and Winfrey is a multi-billionaire, them asking regular rank-and-file Americans to donate money didn't sit well with... well, nearly anyone.

Over the weekend, Johnson addressed the backlash with a video posted to Instagram.


Johnson told his fans and followers the launch "could have been better," and went on to say:

"I get it. I know what it’s like. I’ve lived paycheck to paycheck."
"When you are living paycheck to paycheck, the last thing you want to hear is someone asking you for money, especially when the person asking you for money already has a lot of money.”

Yep, that's pretty much exactly it. And it's a far cry better than the response from Winfrey, who seemed to take the backlash very personally, saying during an interview on CBS Mornings that she felt "terrorized" by the criticism she received, and implying that people should be grateful for her $10 million donation.

On social media, many applauded Johnson's thoughtful response to the uproar.



The Rock even took time to thank people for the backlash, saying that he learned a valuable lesson about how—or maybe how not—to launch a fundraiser, and telling his fans and critics, "I appreciate you."

More from Entertainment/celebrities

Dylan Gadeke; Christina Toni Kulusich and Disney performer
@dylangadeke/TikTok; @babytoni99/TikTok

Former Disneyland Peter Pan Defends Viral 'Peter Pan Girl' After She's Hit With Backlash For 'Stalking' Performers

So-called Disney Adults are a breed apart, for sure. But they also get more flak online than probably any other subculture out there.

And at the moment, nobody is bearing the brunt of that more than Christina Toni Kulusich, a Disney superfan and TikToker, who's become online-famous for her downright obsession with Peter Pan.

Keep Reading Show less
screenshot from "Jesse Watters Primetime"
Fox News

Jesse Watters Dragged After Sounding The Alarm Over Video Of Mamdani Speaking Mandarin

New York City Democratic Socialist Mayor Zohran Mamdani shared a message in English, Mandarin (Chinese), Spanish, and Bengali (Bangla) about his plan—in partnership with the nonprofit Theatre Development Fund—to give away over 2,000 free Broadway tickets to one of seven participating shows.

Open to high school students in his city, sign-up began on August 13 for the lottery that will give kids an opportunity to experience the arts. The entry period ended on August 17 and winners will be chosen on September 1.

Keep Reading Show less
Nancy Mace
Heather Diehl/Getty Images

Nancy Mace Called Out For Her Blatant Hypocrisy After Claiming Critics Of Her Tattoos Are 'Out Of Control'

South Carolina Republican Representative Nancy Mace was called out for her own hypocrisy after she complained that conservative critics of her tattoos are "out of control."

Mace recently showed off her heavily tattooed arms for the first time in a series of new videos. She revealed in a February interview with Politico that she had gotten nine tattoos, but had previously kept them hidden, typically wearing long sleeves whenever she appeared in photographs.

Keep Reading Show less
Alyson Stoner (left) tearfully remembers their late Kingdom Hearts co-star Hayden Panettiere (right).
@alysonstoner/Instagram; Jamie McCarthy/WireImage

'Kingdom Hearts' Star Breaks Down In Tears Over Co-Star Hayden Panettiere's Death In Heart-Wrenching Video

Hayden Panettiere’s death is weighing heavily on Alyson Stoner, who tearfully remembered the actor.

Panettiere died at age 36 after being found unresponsive on August 16 in Greenville, South Carolina. Authorities responded to a 911 call involving an apparent “overdose” and “cardiac arrest,” though police found no signs of foul play. Her death remains under investigation.

Keep Reading Show less
Deena Centofanti; Ryan Ermanni
Fox 2 News

Local Fox News Anchor Hilariously Struggles To Recover After Co-Host's Quip About 'Eating Beaver' Sends Him Into Hysterics

When we go to work, we're expected to be professional, but life happens, and sometimes all we can do is laugh.

On Fox 2 News' Good Day Detroit, Ryan Ermanni was speaking to his co-host Deena Centofanti and meteorologist Derek Kevra.

Keep Reading Show less