Skip to content
Search AI Powered

Latest Stories

San Francisco Officials Just Voted To Allow Police Robots That Kill—And People Are Horrified

Robot with police stripes standing in an urban background
Roland Weihrauch/picture alliance via Getty Images

The San Francisco Board of Supervisors voted to allow police to use remote-controlled robots armed with explosives in emergency situations.

Make us preferred on Google

Following an emotional heated debate that revealed splits on a politically liberal board over support for law enforcement, San Francisco supervisors decided on Tuesday to allow municipal police to use potentially lethal, remote-controlled robots in emergency scenarios.

The powers, according to opponents, would further militarize a police force already overly hostile toward poor and minority populations.


8 supervisors voted in favor of giving police the killer robot option.

According to the San Francisco Police Department, there are no robots already armed and there are no plans to arm robots with firearms. However, if lives are at risk, the department may send out robots armed with explosive charges.

The robots will be limited in scope, SFPD spokesman Allison Maxie said in a statement.

She said:

“Robots equipped in this manner would only be used in extreme circumstances to save or prevent further loss of innocent lives.”

The San Fransisco Police Department already owned the robots, albeit not equipped with explosives. This issue has come forward due to a California law passed recently that mandates police forces inventory and request use of any military-grade weaponry they have or would like access to.

David Chiu, the city attorney for San Francisco, wrote the state bill last year while serving in the assembly. The Act aims to provide the public with a platform and a voice in the purchase and use of military-grade weapons that have a harmful impact on communities.

During the heated debate, many opinions came forth. Board President Shamann Wilson, who voted against the proposal, encapsulated the arguments for and against well.

They stated:

“We continuously are being asked to do things in the name of increasing weaponry and opportunities for negative interaction between the police department and people of color."
"This is just one of those things.”

Reactions have been swirling in the week leading up to and now after the hearing about the potentially lethal police robots.

Some reacted with horror at the concept of robots with any weapons, let alone explosives.


A few tried to contextualize the robots in terms of how they will be used, which is only through approval from a few high-ranking officers in the SFPD.

But this justification came from a very small minority.

Many more commented on how the decision feels like it is out of a dystopian novel or film. They referenced media like Skynet from the Terminator franchise, Robocop and Doctor Who among others.



Others processed their shock and horror through gallows-humor memes.


Other places in the USA have robots with similar capabilities to the newly approved ones in San Fransisco.

But this is the first time the concept has come to such public debate and been approved. In nearby Oakland, California a similar measure was dropped after widespread public backlash.

More from Trending

Screenshot of Joey Jones
Fox News

Fox News Host Slammed After Criticizing 'Weak' Sailors Complaining About Deteriorating Conditions Aboard USS Lincoln

Fox News host Joey Jones was criticized for his complaints about the "weak" U.S. Navy sailors who have complained about the conditions aboard the USS Abraham Lincoln, which has been deployed in the Middle East since November of 2025.

Jones is a Marine veteran who spent eight years in the military and served in both Iraq and Afghanistan. He was seriously wounded by an IED in Afghanistan in 2010, sustaining severe injuries to his arms and wrists and losing both legs above the knee.

Keep ReadingShow less
screenshot of AI Elon Musk as Austin Powers
@elonmusk/X

Elon Musk Brutally Dragged After Sharing Bizarre AI Slop Video Of Himself As Austin Powers

On Wednesday, AI content creator DFF posted another of their parody videos on X mocking a major political figure.

The politics of DFF aren't specified, as they appear to mock just about everyone, but the Trump administration and their allies seem to be frequent targets. The account name DFF stands for "Dumb F*ck Finder" and their bio reads "Fighting DumbF*ckery 24/7 via AI-powered music vids & memes. Don’t Be a DumbFxck."

Keep ReadingShow less
Rosario Dawson (left) revealed her cameo was cut from Tom Holland’s (right) Spider-Man: Brand New Day.
Ernesto Ruscio/Getty Images; Sony/Marvel Studios

Rosario Dawson Reveals Her Cameo In 'Spider-Man: Brand New Day' Was Cut—And Her Mom's Reaction Has Fans Cackling

Fans expected Spider-Man: Brand New Day to deliver its share of surprise cameos, but one familiar Marvel face apparently got caught in the editing web.

In resurfaced footage from July’s GalaxyCon in Raleigh, North Carolina, 47-year-old Sin City and Ahsoka star Rosario Dawson told fellow actor Vincent D’Onofrio that she had slipped back into her Daredevil scrubs as Claire Temple for the blockbuster.

Keep ReadingShow less
Jamie Lee Curtis
Errich Petersen/SXSW Conference & Festivals/Getty Images

Jamie Lee Curtis Clears The Air After Saying She Had An 'Awful' Experience Filming 'New Girl'

Every actor has their preferences when it comes to stage production, and Jamie Lee Curtis is no exception, especially when it comes to comedy.

Curtis was recently touring to promote and answer questions about her latest show, Newlyweds on NBC, which she co-created with Black-ish and Ugly Betty's Gail Lerner. The Freakier Friday actress explained that she was excited to create a story that centered around older characters and finding love later in life, following a couple portrayed by Tea Leoni and Tim Daly.

Keep ReadingShow less
Ashley Callingbull
@corrinaaligned/Instagram

Former Miss Universe Canada Praised After Calling Out Contestants' Costumes For Cultural Appropriation On Live TV

Ashley Callingbull, Canada's 2024 Miss Universe contestant, made history that year when she became the first First Nations competitor to win the pageant.

Now, she's using that platform to call out other contestants for cultural appropriation in their pageant appearances.

Keep ReadingShow less