Skip to content
Search AI Powered

Latest Stories

Billy Porter Reveals He Has To Sell His House To Make Ends Meet During Hollywood Strikes

Billy Porter
Santiago Felipe/Getty Images

The actor opened up about downsizing after projects he was slated to work on this fall have been upended due to the WGA and SAG-AFTRA strikes.

Emmy and Tony-winning actor and singer Billy Porter is feeling the financial impact of the ongoing WGA and SAG-AFTRA strikes in Hollywood. The entertainment industry has come to a standstill due to these strikes, leaving many artists without substantial income and facing uncertainty about the future.

Porter revealed in an interview with London's Evening Standard that he is under pressure to downsize his living situation, including the sale of his house, due to the lack of work opportunities. He expressed the challenges of living as an artist without a steady income, particularly when not yet achieving financial stability.


Porter said:

"I have to sell my house. Because we’re on strike. And I don’t know when we’re gonna go back [to work]."
"The life of an artist, until you make f**k-you money — which I haven’t made yet — is still check-to-check.”

The actor had been looking forward to working on both a new movie and a television series, both of which were slated to start in September. However, with the strikes disrupting production schedules, these projects have been put on hold, leaving Porter without the expected income.

Porter's frustration with the situation is palpable, especially in light of comments attributed to an unnamed Hollywood studio executive who mentioned that the "endgame is to allow things to drag on until union members start losing their apartments and losing their houses.”

To that, Porter said:

“So to the person who said ‘we’re going to starve them out until they have to sell their apartments,’ you’ve already starved me out."

Porter also took aim at Disney CEO Bob Iger, who recently described the striking artists as very disruptive” while making demands that are “not realistic":

“To hear Bob Iger say that our demands for a living wage are unrealistic? While he makes $78,000 a day? I don’t have any words for it, but: f**k you."
“That’s not useful, so I’ve kept my mouth shut. I haven’t engaged because I’m so enraged. I’m glad I’ve been over here. But when I go back I will join the picket lines.”

Many empathized with Porter's situation and stood in solidarity with those on strike.




The Writers Guild of America (WGA) initiated their strike on May 2, and SAG-AFTRA followed suit on July 13, marking the first double strike of actors and writers since 1960.

Both unions have united in their fight for higher wages, fair compensation from streaming platforms, and protection against the encroachment of artificial intelligence in the entertainment industry.

The impact of these strikes is far-reaching, and they have the potential to significantly affect California's economy. The last writers' strike in 2007-08 cost an estimated $2.1 billion, and with both unions now halting work, a much higher toll is anticipated.

As the strikes continue, the demands of the actors and writers stand firm, representing a united front against the studios' negotiation tactics and a determined effort to secure better working conditions and fair treatment in the rapidly evolving landscape of the entertainment industry.

More from Entertainment/tv-and-movies

Hillary Clinton
Kimberly White/Getty Images for Common Sense Media

Hillary Clinton Has Iconic Reaction To Trump Administration's 'Atlantic' Text Scandal

Former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton had a succinct response after Jeffrey Goldberg—the editor-in-chief of The Atlantic—revealed he was invited into a Signal chat with high-level Trump administration officials discussing military strategy surrounding their war strikes in Yemen.

Goldberg revealed a highly unusual and concerning situation where senior Trump administration officials were allegedly discussing war plans over a group chat on Signal. Goldberg recounted that Representative Mike Waltz added him to an 18-person group chat, which he initially suspected was a hoax or disinformation campaign.

Keep ReadingShow less
Vivian Jenna Wilson; Elon Musk
@vivllainous/TikTok; Samuel Corum/Getty Images

Elon Musk's Trans Daughter Epically Claps Back After Musk Claims His Child 'Died'

Elon Musk's estranged trans daughter, Vivian Jenna Wilson, used an iconic soundbite from RuPaul's Drag Race to clap back at Musk's claim that his child had "died."

The SpaceX co-founder responded to a post on X (formerly Twitter) defending Musk for appearing to give the Nazi salute twice at Republican President Donald Trump's inauguration.

Keep ReadingShow less
Screenshots of Mike Myers and Mark Carney
@MarkJCarney/X

Mike Myers Joins Canada's New Prime Minister For Epic Jab At Trump In Viral Video

Actor and comedian Mike Myers has gone viral after joining Canadian Prime Minister Mark Carney for a video message that mocks President Donald Trump and his plan to make Canada the 51st state of the United States.

In the Liberal Party skit, Mike Myers and Mark Carney—both dressed in red Canada jerseys—share a moment at a hockey practice. Carney starts off skeptical of Myers, questioning his Canadian credentials since he now lives in the United States, despite being born and raised in Canada.

Keep ReadingShow less
Pete Buttigieg
Alex Wong/Getty Images

Pete Buttigieg Drops F-Bombs After Trump Administration Invites Journalist Into High-Level Military Group Chat

Former Transportation Secretary Pete Buttigieg passionately spoke out after Jeffrey Goldberg—the editor-in-chief of The Atlantic—revealed he was invited into a Signal chat with high-level Trump administration officials discussing military strategy surrounding their war strikes in Yemen.

Goldberg revealed a highly unusual and concerning situation where senior Trump administration officials were allegedly discussing war plans over a group chat on Signal. Goldberg recounted that Representative Mike Waltz added him to an 18-person group chat, which he initially suspected was a hoax or disinformation campaign.

Keep ReadingShow less
Donald Trump with Easter bunny at 2017 Easter egg roll
Saul Loeb/AFP via Getty Images

Trump Blasted After Turning Annual White House Easter Tradition Into Corporate Grift

President Donald Trump has sparked concerns from ethics experts after soliciting corporate sponsors for the annual White House Easter Egg Roll.

Potential sponsors of the April 21 event were presented with three sponsorship options ranging from $75,000 to $200,000, according to a nine-page guide reviewed by The New York Times.

Keep ReadingShow less