Skip to content
Search AI Powered

Latest Stories

This 2012 Trump Tweet Railing Against Obama's Iran Policy Sure Sounds a Lot Like What Trump Is Doing in 2019

This 2012 Trump Tweet Railing Against Obama's Iran Policy Sure Sounds a Lot Like What Trump Is Doing in 2019
Ricky Carioti/The Washington Post via Getty Images

Sounds awfully familiar.

Make us preferred on Google

One of President Donald Trump's own tweets has resurfaced amid news that the White House is reviewing military plans against Iran and is considering sending as many 120,000 troops to the Middle East should Iran attack American forces. In the tweet, written in 2012, Trump urged Republicans to not "let [former President Barack] Obama play the Iran card in order to start a war in order to get elected."


But it appears that's what Trump is attempting to do at the urging of John Bolton, his national security adviser and an Iran war hawk whose previous calls for a confrontation with Tehran a decade ago were ignored by then-President George W. Bush. Critics like Representative Ilhan Omar (D-MN) say Congress must move to prevent Trump and Bolton from "laying the groundwork for another war."

It's still uncertain whether Trump, who has sought to pull troops out of Syria and Afghanistan, would send such a large number of troops back to the Middle East. That number, according to a New York Times report, "would approach the size of the American force that invaded Iraq in 2003."

Tensions between Iran and the West have risen since four oil vessels were attacked at the mouth of the Persian Gulf over the weekend. Although Emirati officials are still investigating the matter, American officials suspect Iran was involved.

Last week, the U.S. announced new sanctions after President Hassan Rouhani warned Iran would withdraw from the 2015 Iran nuclear deal. Trump's decision to exit the agreement a year ago has sparked fears that it could destabilize the Middle East. Trump had long campaigned against the nuclear deal and made exiting the agreement one of the signature pledges of his candidacy during the 2016 presidential election.

“This was a horrible one-sided deal that should have never, ever been made,” Trump said last year. “It didn’t bring calm, it didn’t bring peace, and it never will.”

Trump had earlier criticized the deal as one of the Obama administration’s “worst” decisions, and in his statements, he expressed his belief that the deal served to benefit the Iranian regime while sponsoring terrorism.

“At the point when the US had maximum leverage, this disastrous deal gave this regime — and it’s a regime of great terror — many billions of dollars, some of it in actually cash — a great embarrassment to me as a citizen,” Trump said at the time.

European leaders have acknowledged they wish to sustain the agreement, which provides Iran some relief from international sanctions in exchange for limits on and guarantees of transparency about its nuclear aspirations.

More from People

Screenshots of Tim Pool and Mason
Surrounded/Jubilee

Right-Wing Podcaster Storms Off Debate Show Set After Being Epically Called Out For Grifting Off Of 'Civil War' Claims

Right-wing podcaster Tim Pool was widely mocked after storming off the set of the debate series Surrounded when he was grilled over his constant claims that the United States is tracking towards a "civil war."

Pool recently appeared in Jubilee’s series, where progressive commentator Mason challenged his repeated warnings that the U.S. could be heading toward a “civil war.”

Keep ReadingShow less
Scrreenshot of Jon Ossoff; Donald Trump and Natalie Harp
@Acyn/X; Mandel Ngan/AFP via Getty Images

Jon Ossoff Rips Trump During Speech With Brutal Dig About His Problematic Relationship With Fawning Young Aide

Georgia Democratic Senator Jon Ossoff took aim at President Donald Trump's problematic relationship with his young aide Natalie Harp during a campaign speech on Sunday.

Last month, Trump reportedly took extraordinary security precautions during a trip to Turkey, secretly switching from Air Force One to a military aircraft after an alleged threat. Although he was publicly seen boarding the presidential jet, he was later transported to the military plane concealed inside a catering truck.

Keep ReadingShow less
Screenshots of Donald Trump and John Teichert
Fox News

Trump Just Threatened To 'Bomb The Sh*t Out Of' Oman—And Even Fox News Is Flabbergasted

Even Fox News is stunned after President Donald Trump threatened to "bomb the sh*t out of" Oman if the country "gets in the way" of talks between the U.S. and Iran.

Trump’s remarks came amid stalled U.S.-Iran negotiations and separate talks between Iran and Oman over how commercial shipping could resume through the Strait of Hormuz. Fox News correspondent Trey Yingst reported that Trump warned the U.S. would attack Oman if it interfered with American efforts, though Fox did not release audio of the interview.

Keep ReadingShow less
Screenshot of Donald Trump speaking at rally
@Acyn/X

MAGA Rally Crowd Applauds After Trump Says He'll 'Never Apologize' For Higher Gas Prices In Surreal Viral Video

President Donald Trump was met with applause from supporters in a surreal moment at a MAGA rally on Long Island, New York, after he told attendees he'd "never apologize" for higher gas costs due to his war with Iran.

A recent Gallup poll found that 55 percent of respondents felt their finances were worsening, a level of pessimism exceeding that seen during both the COVID-19 pandemic and the 2008 financial crisis. This comes as the highly unpopular war in Iran continues to rage, sending gas prices surging. Americans have spent an additional $59 billion on fuel since Trump launched the war.

Keep ReadingShow less