Skip to content
Search AI Powered

Latest Stories

Donald Trump Just Tweeted Questionable Video of a Wall Being Built on the Southern Border and Now He Has a New Hashtag

Donald Trump Just Tweeted Questionable Video of a Wall Being Built on the Southern Border and Now He Has a New Hashtag
Screenshot via @realDonaldTrump (Twitter) // Chip Somodevilla (Getty Images)

President Donald Trump claimed that a portion of his proposed border wall has been officially constructed, this section in New Mexico, introducing a new hashtag in the process.

"We have just built this powerful Wall in New Mexico. Completed on January 30, 2019 – 47 days ahead of schedule! Many miles more now under construction! ," the president wrote beneath a time-lapse video of a construction crew mounting a steel slatted barrier into the earth.


He previously unveiled the phrase as a slogan at a rally in El Paso, Texas. It's likely he's hoping the hashtag catches similar momentum as #BuildTheWall did over the course of his campaign and and throughout his presidency.

The problem: No new sections of the border wall the president insists is so necessary for border security have been allotted. What construction that has happened has served to replace portions of other, existing barriers already in place and approved by Congress last year.

In October 2018, construction workers "put up the final panel of a new border barrier" in Calexico, California, according to The Los Angeles Times, which points out:

The estimated $18-million project replaced just over two miles of a 1990s barrier made of steel Vietnam War-era military aircraft landing mats with 30-foot bollards — poles placed close together to restrict entry but allow people on either side to see through. ...

Planning for the barrier replacement project began in 2009, but funding and construction came under the Trump administration. The only characteristic the new structure shares with Trump’s border wall prototypes is its height. At 30 feet, it towers over older fencing in the El Centro sector, which at the highest rises to about 20 feet.

A construction crew did complete a section of fencing in New Mexico––but that was in August 2018, per CBS DFW, for a project, valued at $73 million, that had begun four months prior.

Congress has never provided the funding for a border wall. The president (and his video) were swiftly called out.

The president's claim is misleading because last week he declared a national emergency to access billions of dollars to construct a wall at the U.S.-Mexico border after Congress denied his requests for funding. The declaration has ignited a dispute about separation of powers, and the president’s reasoning is likely to face legal challenges.

“I could do the wall over a longer period of time,” he told NBC’s Peter Alexander when asked about his prior statements on the merits of executive orders, which he had long accused former President Barack Obama of using to circumvent the decisions of Congress. “I didn’t need to do this, but I’d rather do it much faster.”

As he continued to speak during the news conference, the president outlined what would happen next:

“We will have a national emergency. And we will then be sued… And we will possibly get a bad ruling. And then we will get another bad ruling. And then we will end up in the Supreme Court.”

Many took the president’s statement as further evidence that he is seeking to bypass Congress to fulfill a campaign promise he made to his base. Although 16 states have filed a lawsuit challenging his national emergency declaration, the White House intends to move forward with plans to shift existing federal funds to pay for the wall's construction.

A source close to the White House said that the White House does not plan to spend any of the funds that "hinge on Trump's national emergency declaration" and will instead "focus on building new portions of border wall using funds from the Defense Department's drug interdiction program and Treasury Department's asset forfeiture fund, which do not rely on the national emergency declaration." Those funds total an approximate $3.1 billion.

Speaking to reporters yesterday, Trump said he's not worried about the lawsuits and claimed that the administration is already "working with the Army Corps of Engineers" to move forward with construction of more border fencing.

"I think we'll do very well. We have an absolute right to do that," Trump said. "We need strong borders. We have to stop drugs and crime and criminals and human trafficking and we have to stop all of those things that a strong wall will stop."

More from People/donald-trump

Bowen Yang
Jerritt Clark/Getty Images for Hennessy

Bowen Yang Offers Hilariously NSFW Clapback After Troll Questions Why He's Grand Marshal Of NYC Pride

One good thing about trolling comedians, they always know exactly how to respond.

New York City Pride recently announced the Grand Marshals for its annual Pride parade, scheduled for June 28.

Keep ReadingShow less
Gavin Newsom; Donald Trump
Jim Watson/AFP via Getty Images; Heather Diehl/Getty Images

Gavin Newsom Claps Back With Blistering Reality Check After Trump Shares Meme Of Newsom As A Zombie

On Sunday, May 17, MAGA Republican President Donald Trump went on a posting spree on Truth Social. Between 4:02pm and 4:54pm, Trump posted or reposted 32 times—much of it "AI slop"—like a child with a new toy.

The POTUS had just returned from a trip to China where pundits opined Chinese President Xi Jinping walked him like a dog, openly mocking him multiple times.

Keep ReadingShow less
JD Vance
Eric Lee-Pool/Getty Images

JD Vance Gets Blunt Reminder After Telling Voters To Oust The 'Crazy Leadership In Washington'

Vice President JD Vance received a blunt reminder after urging voters—with no sense of irony whatsoever—to "vote against the crazy leadership in Washington, D.C.," in the midterms later this year.

Speaking at a manufacturing plant in Missouri, Vance was touting President Donald Trump’s economic agenda and trying to energize supporters ahead of the midterm elections when he appeared to misspeak.

Keep ReadingShow less
Mike Lee
Bill Clark/CQ-Roll Call, Inc via Getty Images

MAGA Senator Gets Epic Reality Check After Sharing Photos Of Four Black Congressmen To Prove GOP 'Is NOT The Party Of Jim Crow'

Utah Republican Senator Mike Lee was given a dose of reality after sharing an image of four Black Republican House members to claim that the GOP "is NOT the party of Jim Crow," only for people to point out there was a glaring issue with his declaration.

Lee posted images of Representatives Wesley Hunt (R-TX), John James (R-MI), Byron Donalds (R-FL), and Burgess Owens (R-UT), apparently intending it as a political flex. He failed to note, however, that all four are departing the House after this year, without any Black Republicans to fill their shoes.

Keep ReadingShow less
Henry Winkler (left) and Elon Musk (right) have publicly clashed over the role of empathy in modern society.
Emerson College/YouTube; Harun Ozalp/Anadolu via Getty Images

Henry Winkler Pushes Back On Elon Musk's Claim That America Has Too Much 'Empathy' In Must-See Commencement Speech

For generations of television viewers, Henry Winkler has built a reputation as one of Hollywood’s most universally beloved figures. Now, the Happy Days icon is using that platform to push back against one of Silicon Valley’s most controversial voices, delivering a commencement message that directly challenged Elon Musk’s criticism of empathy.

The ceremony was held on May 9 at Boston's Wang Theatre. Winkler, who graduated from Emerson College in 1967, delivered an inspiring and humorous eight-minute speech focused on perseverance, self-belief, and recognizing one's unique gifts.

Keep ReadingShow less