Skip to content
Search AI Powered

Latest Stories

Democratic Billionaire Tom Steyer Has a Plan For Flipping Congress and Republicans Should Be Very Worried

Democratic Billionaire Tom Steyer Has a Plan For Flipping Congress and Republicans Should Be Very Worried
WASHINGTON, DC - JANUARY 08: Hedge fund billionaire, Democratic mega-donor and environmentalist Tom Steyer silences his mobile device during a news conference regarding his political future and plans January 8, 2018 in Washington, DC. A leader in the effort to impeach President Donald Trump, Steyer announced that he will target prominent incumbent Republicans, including Speaker of the House Paul Ryan (R-WI), in $30 million midterms push. (Chip Somodevilla/Getty Images)

This is how a blue wave builds.

Tom Steyer, the billionaire environmentalist and Democratic political donor who has spent millions on national ads calling for President Donald Trump's impeachment, announced he will spend $30 million through his advocacy group, NextGen America, this year trying to get members of his party elected to the U.S. House of Representatives to win control of the chamber from Republicans.

The $30 million will be used to mobilize young voters in 10 key states: Florida, Virginia, Wisconsin, Michigan, Nevada, California, Pennsylvania, Iowa, New Hampshire and Arizona. Steyer also announced he will not personally be running for office.


Steyer was a major donor to former President Barack Obama’s 2012 campaign and the largest single political donor of the 2014 midterm election. He'd earlier focused on climate change as an issue to rally young voters, but says he will pivot his strategy to focus on the president's impeachment.

“We are really focused on removing this president,” Steyer said. “I am willing to do whatever it takes to help save our country. I feel the most important task for me is organizing. A year ago, no one knew what a Donald Trump presidency would look like, or how he would behave. We now know that the Oval Office cannot reshape a man who does not believe in constitutional democracy.”

Midterm elections are this November, and 34 Senate seats are up for grabs––so are all 435 seats in the House. “The task which I feel called to do is organizing and mobilizing America’s voters – they have got to be the most powerful forces in American politics,” Steyer said. He added that while he knows that talk of impeachment "makes some of our friends and allies in this city uncomfortable" but that removing Trump from office remains of utmost importance.

Millennials will make up the largest voting demographic in 2018 and 2020––and NextGen will focus on its efforts on reaching them. “Young people are overwhelmingly progressive, and energized like never before,” Steyer said. “They are now the largest bloc of eligible voters in America, capable of swinging elections on their own, and they are horrified by what’s happening here in Washington.”

NextGen's focus on the youth vote should pay off handsomely, predicts Amanda Litman, the former Email Director to Hillary Clinton. The $30 million is a "massive investment -- and because voting is a habit, it'll pay dividends for decades to come," she said.

Steyer said his organization will have constituents deliver to members of Congress copies of Michael Wolff's controversial book, Fire and Fury: Inside the Trump White House, which features multiple anecdotes challenging the president's mental fitness, prompting White House Press Secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders to criticize the “ridiculous reports from detractors.”

“The White House perspective is outrage and disgust that people who do not know this President or understand the true depth of his intellectual capabilities would be so filled with hate they would resort to something so far outside the realm of reality or decency,” Sanders said in an emailed statement earlier today.

More from People/donald-trump

Serena Williams; Coco Gauff
Michael Buckner/Variety/Getty Images; Robert Prange/Getty Images

Serena Williams Offers Cheeky Advice To Coco Gauff After She Smashed Her Racket Following Australian Open Loss

There's no better person to take advice from than someone who's gone through exactly what you're going through right now. Having four Olympic Gold medals might not hurt, either.

While participating in the Australian Open quarterfinals, tennis star Coco Gauff was moved to tears when she lost the competition to Elina Svitolina. But the cameras kept rolling after she stepped off the court, revealing that she smashed her tennis racket out of frustration once alone in the back halls of the athletic center.

Keep ReadingShow less
TikToker Romeo Bingham; Dr. Pepper
@romeosshow/TikTok; Beata Zawrzel/NurPhoto/Getty Images

People Are Floored After Dr. Pepper Actually Uses TikToker's Catchy Jingle In Commercial

Let's be real: You'll never get what you want if you don't shoot your shot.

That was what TikToker Romeo Bingham decided when she was bored and suddenly came up with the idea for a new jingle for Dr. Pepper.

Keep ReadingShow less
Jennifer Grey Shares Poignant Thoughts After 'Dirty Dancing' Sequel Is Set To Start Filming—And Fans Are Thrilled
Taylor Hill/FilmMagic; Getty Images

Jennifer Grey Shares Poignant Thoughts After 'Dirty Dancing' Sequel Is Set To Start Filming—And Fans Are Thrilled

In 1987, audiences had the time of their lives when Dirty Dancing hit theaters. Nearly 40 years later, that story is officially stepping back onto the dance floor.

Lionsgate announced Tuesday, January 27, that Jennifer Grey will reprise her role as Frances “Baby” Houseman in an upcoming Dirty Dancing sequel. The project will be produced by The Hunger Games and Crazy Rich Asians producers Nina Jacobson and Brad Simpson, with filming expected to begin later this year.

Keep ReadingShow less
TikTok logo
illustration by Cheng Xin/Getty Images

TikTok Now Claims A 'Power Outage' Is To Blame For The App's Massive Glitches—But The Internet Isn't So Sure

The new owners of U.S. TikTok—American investors to satisfy safety concerns about the app created by the Chinese technology company ByteDance—have an explanation for ongoing problems experienced by users beginning Sunday morning.

For context, MAGA Republican President Donald Trump infamously ranted about the app and vowed to permanently ban it from the United States during his first term in office.

Keep ReadingShow less
Screenshot of Megyn Kelly; Picture of Alex Pretti from memorial
The Megyn Kelly Show; Octavio Jones/AFP via Getty Images

Megyn Kelly Slammed After Boasting About Why She Doesn't 'Feel Sorry' For ICE Shooting Victim Alex Pretti

Right-wing talk show host Megyn Kelly was slammed after she shared her reasons for not feeling "sorry" for ICU nurse Alex Pretti, who was fatally shot by ICE agents over the weekend.

Calls for an investigation have intensified from across the political spectrum after analysis of multiple videos showed ICE officers removing a handgun from Pretti—a weapon that authorities said Pretti was permitted to carry but was not handling at the time—before fatally shooting him.

Keep ReadingShow less