Skip to content
Search AI Powered

Latest Stories

Republican Senators Sound Off Against Saudi Arabia's Shifting Excuse for Jamal Khashoggi's Death

They are not having it.

Make us preferred on Google

Three Republican senators criticized Saudi Arabia's withering explanations for journalist Jamal Khashoggi’s murder and have called on the Trump administration to take significant action against the kingdom should the Saudi crown prince be found responsible.

Saudi Arabia had initially denied any involvement in Khashoggi's disappearance but claimed via state media last week that Khashoggi, a Washington Post columnist had been strangled in a fistfight with 15 men sent to confront him at the Saudi consulate in Turkey. The kingdom blamed some of the crown prince's inner circle for the murder, and several high-ranking officials were dismissed if not detained outright.


The first legislator, outgoing Senator Bob Corker (TN) said Saudi Arabia's story "is just not credible" and expressed his belief that Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman was personally involved in the killing.

“Obviously, if [MBS] has gone forth and murdered this journalist, he’s now crossed the line, and there has to be a punishment and a price paid for that,” Corker said. “Do I think he did it? Yeah. I think he did it.”

Senator Rand Paul (KY) also weighed in, calling Saudi Arabia's explanations "insulting." He suggested that President Donald Trump should follow the lead of German Chancellor Angela Merkel and cease arms sales to the country. (Germany has

“I think it stretches credulity to believe that the crown prince wasn’t involved in this,” Paul told “Fox News Sunday.” “There’s no way 15 people were sent from Saudi Arabia to Turkey to kill a dissident without the approval of the crown prince.”

“That’s why I say we have to be stronger than just saying, ‘Oh, we’re going to sanction a few of these people and pretend like we’re doing something.’ I think we really need to discontinue our arms sales to Saudi Arabia and have a long and serious discussion about whether they want to be an ally or they want to be an enemy," he added.

Senator Ben Sasse (NE) echoed Senator Paul's suggestion.

“We don’t do arms sales for the purpose of the profits from arms sales ― we do arm sales because we want to be aligned with different countries around the globe that believe in our values,” Sasse told CNN. "I think the cover stories from the Saudis are a mess. You don’t bring a bone saw to an accidental fistfight. ... The Saudis have said a whole bunch of crap that’s not right, accurate or true.”

Last week, sources familiar with Khashoggi's case told CNN that Khashoggi’s murder “was organized by a high-ranking officer with the General Intelligence Presidency, Saudi Arabia’s main intelligence service.”

The report continues:

One of those sources described the officer as close to the inner circle of Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman. It is unclear whether the crown prince authorized an interrogation, abduction or killing. Several officials CNN spoke with said the mission could not have happened without the direct knowledge of the 33-year-old crown prince, the kingdom’s de facto ruler, who is known by his initials “MBS.”
A second source said the officer assembled and sent his own team to interrogate Khashoggi. They suspected Khashoggi of having ties to the kingdom’s arch rival, Qatar, the source said. There has been no evidence to substantiate Khashoggi had such ties.
Another source told CNN the mission’s organizer was not transparent about what he told Riyadh, which, the source said, explained why the government had no clear information for days.

A Turkish official told the network that Khashoggi’s body was cut into pieces after he was killed two weeks ago.

President Donald Trump's response, meanwhile, has been largely ineffectual.

On Saturday, the president told Washington Post reporters that “obviously there’s been deception, and there’s been lies" regarding Khashoggi's killing. But he also said Saudi Arabia is "an incredible ally" and pushed back against assertions that Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman had ordered Saudi operatives to kill the reporter.

“Nobody has told me he’s responsible. Nobody has told me he’s not responsible. We haven’t reached that point . . . I would love if he wasn’t responsible,” Trump said.

Trump characterized Saudi Arabia's explanation for Khashoggi's killing as "credible," but defended his son-in-law Jared Kushner’s close relationship with the crown prince amid concerns that it had become a liability for the White House.

“They’re two young guys. Jared doesn’t know him well or anything. They are just two young people. They are the same age. They like each other, I believe,” Trump said.

The president also shot down the possibility that the scandal would disrupt U.S.-Saudi arms sales.

“It’s the largest order in history,” Trump said. “To give that up would hurt us far more than it hurts them. Then all they’ll do is go to Russia or go to China. All that’s doing is hurting us.” He added: "With that being said, something will take place," though he did not elaborate as to what those actions might be.

Last week, the president raised eyebrows after he compared allegations that Saudi officials had orchestrated the murder of Khashoggi to accusations of sexual misconduct against Supreme Court Justice Brett Kavanaugh.

Speaking to The Associated Press, the president said, “I think we have to find out what happened first. Here we go again with, you know, you’re guilty until proven innocent. I don’t like that. We just went through that with Justice Kavanaugh and he was innocent all the way as far as I’m concerned.”

More from News

Screenshot of Abdul El-Sayed; Donald Trump
Sky News; Mandel Ngan/AFP via Getty Images

Dem Senate Nominee Masterfully Turns Trump's 'Full Of Sh*t' Insult Around On Him In Blistering Clapback

Michigan Democratic U.S. Senate nominee Abdul El-Sayed had a blistering response ready when asked by Sky News about President Donald Trump saying that he's "full of sh*t."

Trump was in Las Vegas on Wednesday when he accused El-Sayed of harboring animosity toward Jewish people and Israel. Trump disputed polling that had predicted a decisive victory for El-Sayed. He repeatedly described the candidate as someone who “hates Jews” and “hates Israel,” dismissing El-Sayed’s attempts to present himself as someone who “love[s] everybody.”

Keep ReadingShow less
CVS Warns Pet Owner They'll Lose Access To Dog's Medical Records Once He Turns 18 And Is A 'Legal Adult'—And Here Come The Jokes
Smith Collection/Gado/Getty Images; @AutumnTweets/X

CVS Warns Pet Owner They'll Lose Access To Dog's Medical Records Once He Turns 18 And Is A 'Legal Adult'—And Here Come The Jokes

CVS pharmacies recently announced they'll begin carrying pet medications at their locations, but it seems like they haven't quiiiite worked out the kinks for the new service.

X user and pet owner @AutumnTweets has gone viral after sharing how her first experience with CVS pet meds has gone. And in a word, it's hilarious.

Keep ReadingShow less
Chelsea Handler; Joe Rogan
Steve Granitz/FilmMagic/Getty Images; Nathan Posner/Anadolu via Getty Images

Chelsea Handler Sounds Off After Learning Massive Sum Joe Rogan Is Making For His Podcast This Year—And She's Spot On

Forbes magazine recently released its list of the "Highest-Paid Podcasters of 2026." To promote the article, the magazine shared a teaser on Instagram listing the top 20 and their estimated earnings.

Topping the list was conspiracy theory and medical misinformation promoting comedian turned UFC broadcaster and podcaster Joe Rogan at $82 million for his The Joe Rogan Experience.

Keep ReadingShow less
Ken Jennings
JC Olivera/Variety via Getty Images

'Jeopardy!' Host Clarifies His Stance On Trans Rights After Snarky Comment On Social Media Sparks Debate

Jeopardy! host Ken Jennings asserted his support for the transgender community after a joke he made on BlueSky attracted attention from conservative news outlets that spun his remarks to cast him as anti-trans.

The controversy began after Jennings posted about a game he plays with his wife while completing Spelling Bee, one of the games published by The New York Times. Although some followers joined in, many others criticized Jennings for promoting a Times product.

Keep ReadingShow less
Ireland Baldwin (left) spoke out after Perez Hilton's (right) hospitalization.
Jesse Grant/Getty Images for Comedy Central; Denise Truscello/Getty Images for Grant A Gift for Autism

Ireland Baldwin Shares Complicated Feelings Around Perez Hilton's Hospitalization After He 'Publicly Humiliated My Family For Years'

Ireland Baldwin is speaking out after Perez Hilton's hospitalization, sharing mixed emotions while reflecting on the years she says the celebrity gossip blogger publicly targeted her family. The response comes after Hilton was hospitalized following a distressing TikTok livestream on August 4 that left many viewers alarmed.

Deputies were dispatched to the 48-year-old's Florida home, where he was later hospitalized under Florida's Baker Act, which allows authorities to temporarily detain someone for a mental health evaluation if they are believed to pose a danger to themselves or others.

Keep ReadingShow less