Skip to content
Search AI Powered

Latest Stories

Mexico Just Clapped Back at Trump With Tariffs on U.S. Products, and Yep, They're Going Right After Trump Country

Mexico Just Clapped Back at Trump With Tariffs on U.S. Products, and Yep, They're Going Right After Trump Country
WASHINGTON, DC - JUNE 05: U.S. President Donald Trump takes part in a signing ceremony for the Childhood Cancer Survivorship, Treatment, Access, and Research Act of 2018 in the Oval Office of the White House June 5, 2018 in Washington, DC. The bill directs the National Institutes of Health to improve cancer treatment options for children, adolescents, and young adults with selected cancers. (Photo by Win McNamee/Getty Images)

Message received.

Make us preferred on Google

Mexico has retaliated against the United States, announcing new tariffs against $3 billion worth of U.S. products including Iowa pork, Wisconsin cheese, and Kentucky bourbon. In doing so, Mexico made good on its threats to impose higher tariffs on the U.S. for its own tariffs on steel and aluminum.

The 20 percent tariff on U.S. pork also extends to potatoes and apples. Cheese and bourbon will face tariffs of 25 percent. Mexico is also putting 25 percent duties on a range of American steel products. The Washington Post noted that "Mexico tailored the list of retaliatory duties to hit states governed by senior Republicans, such as the bourbon produced in the home state of Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell."


The announcement inflames trade tensions between the two countries, complicating efforts to renegotiate the North American Free Trade Agreement. National Economic Council Director Larry Kudlow had said on “Fox & Friends" that the president does not intend to withdraw from NAFTA and will instead seek to restructure the accord with Mexico and Canada separately.

“His preference now — and he asked me to convey this — is to actually negotiate with Mexico and Canada separately,” Kudlow said. “He prefers bilateral negotiations.”

The United States, Mexico, and Canada agreed to NAFTA in the 1990s. Changes to NAFTA would need to be agreed by all sides before they could take effect.

Earlier this week, Second Nexus reported that Canada, which is the largest supplier of steel to the United States, added tariffs "covering $12.8 billion on U.S. imports including whiskey, orange juice, steel, aluminum and other products."

Mexico's tariffs, which largely affect states that President Donald Trump won handily in the 2016 election, are bound to have political implications as Republicans gear up for this year's midterm elections. This was not lost on many commentators who surmised how the announcement would affect the rest of the president's tenure.

"Trump's completely unnecessary trade war is hurting his base the most," wrote Nate Lerner, the Grassroots Director of Build the Wave.

"I don’t get why the EU, Mexico, Canada, et. all don’t just impose 100% retaliatory trade tariffs on all Trump trinkets… they must underestimate how corrupt and selfish Trump is—he’d end our tariffs in a heartbeat," noted tech entrepreneur William LeGate

The Democratic Coalition also weighed in, saying that the president's "asinine trade wars" could cause U.S. pork farmers to "lose $100,000,000 annually" after Mexico's announcement.

Iowa is the top pork-producing state in the United States; Mexico is its main export market by volume.

“We need trade and one of the things we’re concerned about is long-term implications that these trade issues will have on our partnerships with Mexico and Canada and other markets,” said Iowa Secretary of Agriculture Mike Naig, a Republican, adding, “If our customers around the world start going to other parts of the world for their supplies, that is a serious problem."

Jim Heimerl, an Ohio resident and the president of the U.S. National Pork Producers Council, said Mexico accounted for nearly 25 percent of all pork shipments last year. He noted that “a 20 percent tariff eliminates our ability to compete effectively in Mexico.”

“This is devastating to my family and pork-producing families across the United States,” he said.

In March, shortly before confirming that the U.S. would impose tariffs on aluminum and steel, President Trump attracted criticism for claiming that trade wars “are good, and easy to win.”

“When a country (USA) is losing many billions of dollars on trade with virtually every country it does business with, trade wars are good, and easy to win,” he wrote at the time. “Example, when we are down $100 billion with a certain country and they get cute, don’t trade anymore-we win big. It’s easy!”

The president appeared to ignore much of the controversy surrounding his announcement. Instead, he doubled down on his belief that “We must protect our country and our workers.”

Later, he seemed to offer justifications for his decision, writing: “When a country Taxes our products coming in at, say, 50%, and we Tax the same product coming into our country at ZERO, not fair or smart. We will soon be starting RECIPROCAL TAXES so that we will charge the same thing as they charge us. $800 Billion Trade Deficit-have no choice!”

According to two officials who spoke to NBC News on condition of anonymity, Trump’s “decision to launch a potential trade war was born out of anger at other simmering issues and the result of a broken internal process that has failed to deliver him consensus views that represent the best advice of his team.”

In the words of one official, the president became “unglued.”

More from People/donald-trump

Dylan Gadeke; Christina Toni Kulusich and Disney performer
@dylangadeke/TikTok; @babytoni99/TikTok

Former Disneyland Peter Pan Defends Viral 'Peter Pan Girl' After She's Hit With Backlash For 'Stalking' Performers

So-called Disney Adults are a breed apart, for sure. But they also get more flak online than probably any other subculture out there.

And at the moment, nobody is bearing the brunt of that more than Christina Toni Kulusich, a Disney superfan and TikToker, who's become online-famous for her downright obsession with Peter Pan.

Keep ReadingShow less
screenshot from "Jesse Watters Primetime"
Fox News

Jesse Watters Dragged After Sounding The Alarm Over Video Of Mamdani Speaking Mandarin

New York City Democratic Socialist Mayor Zohran Mamdani shared a message in English, Mandarin (Chinese), Spanish, and Bengali (Bangla) about his plan—in partnership with the nonprofit Theatre Development Fund—to give away over 2,000 free Broadway tickets to one of seven participating shows.

Open to high school students in his city, sign-up began on August 13 for the lottery that will give kids an opportunity to experience the arts. The entry period ended on August 17 and winners will be chosen on September 1.

Keep ReadingShow less
Nancy Mace
Heather Diehl/Getty Images

Nancy Mace Called Out For Her Blatant Hypocrisy After Claiming Critics Of Her Tattoos Are 'Out Of Control'

South Carolina Republican Representative Nancy Mace was called out for her own hypocrisy after she complained that conservative critics of her tattoos are "out of control."

Mace recently showed off her heavily tattooed arms for the first time in a series of new videos. She revealed in a February interview with Politico that she had gotten nine tattoos, but had previously kept them hidden, typically wearing long sleeves whenever she appeared in photographs.

Keep ReadingShow less
Screenshot of Scott Jennings; Jon Ossoff
CNN; Paras Griffin/Getty Images

Scott Jennings Tried To Call Out Jon Ossoff For His 'Sexist Joke' About Trump's Young Aide—And It Didn't Go Well For Him

Conservative CNN commentator Scott Jennings was reminded of President Donald Trump's own misogyny after attacking Georgia Democratic Senator Jon Ossoff over his remarks about Trump's relationship with his aide Natalie Harp.

Last month, Trump reportedly took extraordinary security precautions during a trip to Turkey, secretly switching from Air Force One to a military aircraft after an alleged threat. Although he was publicly seen boarding the presidential jet, he was later transported to the military plane concealed inside a catering truck.

Keep ReadingShow less
Alyson Stoner (left) tearfully remembers their late Kingdom Hearts co-star Hayden Panettiere (right).
@alysonstoner/Instagram; Jamie McCarthy/WireImage

'Kingdom Hearts' Star Breaks Down In Tears Over Co-Star Hayden Panettiere's Death In Heart-Wrenching Video

Hayden Panettiere’s death is weighing heavily on Alyson Stoner, who tearfully remembered the actor.

Panettiere died at age 36 after being found unresponsive on August 16 in Greenville, South Carolina. Authorities responded to a 911 call involving an apparent “overdose” and “cardiac arrest,” though police found no signs of foul play. Her death remains under investigation.

Keep ReadingShow less