Skip to content
Search AI Powered

Latest Stories

The Republican Party Just Tried to Explain the Shutdown With Six Simple Tweets, Got Immediately Smacked Down With Instant Fact Checks

The Republican Party Just Tried to Explain the Shutdown With Six Simple Tweets, Got Immediately Smacked Down With Instant Fact Checks

Nope.

Make us preferred on Google

The Republican National Committee attempted to blame the government shutdown––now in its 28th day––on Democrats and cast President Donald Trump as an innocent victim in six rapid-fire tweets.

The RNC claimed that House Speaker Nancy Pelosi and Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer's unwillingness to negotiate had caused the shutdown.


The GOP's version of events is wrong, however.

The president’s response to the shutdown has been widely criticized. He’s claimed since the shutdown, which kicked off last month after he declined to sign a stopgap funding bill because he disagreed with the decision of Congress not to provide the funding he’d requested for his proposed border wall, is a ploy orchestrated by Democrats.

In fact, the president’s insistence on blaming Democrats for the shutdown contradicts his own statements. In December, he preemptively accepted ownership of a then-possible shutdown.

“I am proud to shut down the government for border security, Chuck. … I will take the mantle. I will be the one to shut it down. I’m not going to blame you for it,” he told Democratic leaders Nancy Pelosi and Chuck Schumer in the Oval Office on December 11.

These facts are not lost on many who called out the RNC for twisting the facts.

The president has insisted that border security is unachievable without a wall at the southern border. He’s been quick to remind the American people this as the government shutdown over the wall’s funding rages on and continues to use his Twitter account to advocate for the wall's construction.

However, a recent Quinnipiac University poll shows that Americans aren’t buying what the president’s telling them.

The poll indicates that 59 percent of Americans believe President Donald Trump’s proposed border wall “is not necessary to protect the border” and “is not a good use of taxpayer money” following his televised address about border security.

Additionally, 55 percent of respondents said they don’t believe the wall would “make the U.S. safer” and 52 percent of respondents said the wall is not consistent with American values. Only 2 percent of respondents said the president’s address changed their mind compared to 89 percent who said it did not change their mind about building the wall.

Respondents also indicated they’re losing faith in the Republican Party. 49 percent of American voters trust Democrats in Congress more than Trump on the issue of border security.

“The GOP is losing the battle as 56 percent of American voters say President Donald Trump and Republicans in Congress are responsible for the shutdown, while 36 percent say Democrats are responsible,” Quinnipiac notes.

Perhaps even more damningly for the GOP, every party, gender, education, age and racial group (63 percent to 30 percent) supports “a Democratic proposal to reopen parts of the government that do not involve border security while negotiating funding for the Wall.” Republicans are the only group against it (52 percent to 39 percent).

More from People

Christina Ricci Just Called Out Jimmy Fallon For Having MMA Fighter Conor McGregor On His Show—And Fans Are Applauding
Valerie Macon/AFP via Getty Images; NBC

Christina Ricci Just Called Out Jimmy Fallon For Having MMA Fighter Conor McGregor On His Show—And Fans Are Applauding

Actor Christina Ricci has joined many others in calling out NBC, The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon, and host Fallon for booking and broadcasting an interview with controversial Irish MMA fighter Conor McGregor.

McGregor has faced over 20 criminal charges over the course of his career, including assault, disorderly conduct, driving offenses, and rape.

Keep ReadingShow less
Markwayne Mullin; members of Team USA celebrate a goal
Alex Wong/Getty Images; Jamie Squire/Getty Images

DHS Hit With Blunt Reality Check After Tasteless 'Our Soil' Post About U.S. Men's World Cup Team

The Department of Homeland Security (DHS) was called out for its anti-immigration rhetoric and given a reality check by critics after sharing an image of the U.S. men's World Cup team imploring them to "defend the homeland."

DHS shared a post featuring U.S. men’s national team players celebrating a goal from a 4–1 win over Paraguay, pairing the image with the following message:

Keep ReadingShow less
Donald Trump; Lincoln Memorial Reflectiing Pool
Andrew Harnik/Getty Images; Fatih Aktas/Anadolu via Getty Images

Trump Slammed After He Threatens To Sue ABC News For Their Reporting On Alleged Reflecting Pool Vandalism

President Donald Trump was called out after he threatened to sue ABC News over their coverage of the alleged vandalism at his renovated Lincoln Memorial Reflecting Pool, criticizing the network for failing to report that "Dumocrats" also spent millions on the pool.

The renovation of the Reflecting Pool has become a debacle, marked by recurring algae blooms, workers resorting to pouring hydrogen peroxide into the water to combat the problem, and a political blame game in which some Republicans have attempted to pin responsibility for the mess on Democrats.

Keep ReadingShow less
Donald Trump
Andrew Harnik/Getty Images

Democrats Perfectly Drag Trump With His Own Words After He Claims 'Vandals' Cut Paint Off Reflecting Pool

Democrats were quick to respond with a clip of President Donald Trump's own words after he claimed that "vandals" cut the peeling blue paint from the bottom of his renovated Lincoln Memorial Reflecting Pool.

The renovation of the Reflecting Pool has become a debacle, marked by recurring algae blooms, workers resorting to pouring hydrogen peroxide into the water to combat the problem, and a political blame game in which some Republicans have attempted to pin responsibility for the mess on Democrats.

Keep ReadingShow less
Madonna
Theo Wargo/FilmMagic/Getty Images

Madonna Reveals How 'Falling Out' With Studio Got Her Upcoming Biopic With Julia Garner Scrapped

Not all projects are meant to work out, but it's a terrible feeling when they fail because of something like a budget.

While talking with Interview magazine, Madonna opened up about how her biopic, which she'd already spent the past two years writing and developing, and Ozark's Julia Garner was rumored to portray her, was canceled for budgetary reasons.

Keep ReadingShow less