Skip to content
Search AI Powered

Latest Stories

Alek Minassian's Family: Everything We Know

On Monday, ten people were killed and 15 were injured after a man named Alek Minassian plowed into a group of pedestrians in Toronto. The 25-year-old suspect was charged with 10 counts of first-degree murder and 13 counts of attempted murder. As more information about Minassian's personal life surfaces, people are growing increasingly curious about his family.

His Father Appeared to Be the Only Family Member to Attended the Hearing


On Tuesday, Minassian's father, Vahe Minassian, sobbed through the hearing, according to the Daily Mail. When Vahe was asked by reporters afterward if he sent a message to Toronto he said, "Sorry."

The Daily Mail writes, "Vahe was seen quietly sobbing to himself during the brief hearing as the courts confirmed that his son was suspected of mass murder. He appears to be the only family member who came to court." Alek's mother, Sona Minassian, did not attend.

Multiple outlets report that in 2009, Sonya spoke to a magazine called the Richmond Hill Liberal and said that her son suffered from Asperger syndrome and was part of a program that was helping him “work through his cognitive barriers and prepare him for the workplace.”

Friends Say Minassian Was Socially Awkward

A former classmate of Minassian told CNN that he would often give in to peer pressure, "such as running down a hallway shirtless when dared by other students."

The Toronto Star also spoke to Joseph Pham, a 25-year-old who took a class with Minassian at Seneca College just last week. Pham described Minassian as a "socially awkward" man who "kept to himself."

More from News

G-Dragon
Han Myung-Gu/WireImage/Getty Images

K-Pop Star Sparks Controversy After Wearing Shirt With Dutch Racial Slur On It During Show

On May 2, K-Pop group BigBang member G-Dragon, also known professionally as Kwon Ji-yong, performed at K-SPARK in Macau wearing a shirt with an anti-Black racial slur, written in Dutch, on the back.

The shirt also featured an offensive caricature of a Black person on the front.

Keep ReadingShow less
Screenshot of Todd Blanche
Meet the Press

Acting Attorney General Gets Blunt Reality Check After Making Bizarre 'Restaurant' Analogy In Defense Of Voter ID

Acting Attorney General Todd Blanche had people raising their eyebrows after he defended voter ID restrictions by attempting to bring up a real-world scenario in which people have to show their IDs... going inside restaurants.

Blanche was speaking to Kristen Welker on Meet the Press when he argued that attention should shift away from criticism of Republican-appointed Supreme Court justices for weakening the Voting Rights Act of 1965 and toward what he framed as the more pressing issue of voter ID requirements.

Keep ReadingShow less
Donald Trump
Tasos Katopodis/Getty Images

Trump Dragged For Not Understanding How The Game Uno Works In Cringey Meme About Iran War Negotiations

President Donald Trump was dragged online after he shared an image of himself holding a bunch of Uno cards to brag about holding "all the cards" in Iran war negotiations, only to be called out for not understanding how playing the game actually works.

Trump’s post came as Iran put forward a new proposal to end the war, reportedly demanding that the U.S. lift sanctions, end its blockade, withdraw military forces from the region, and halt hostilities—including Israel’s operations in Lebanon—according to Iranian outlets with close ties to the country’s security establishment.

Keep ReadingShow less
Donald Trump; The Mandalorian
Alex Brandon/Pool/Getty Images; Disney+

White House Celebrates May The 4th With AI Image Of Trump As The Mandalorian—And 'Star Wars' Fans Are Livid

The White House was called out after it commemorated Star Wars Day by sharing an AI-generated image of President Donald Trump as the Mandalorian, sparking backlash from Star Wars fans.

The image depicts Trump as the armored protagonist of The Mandalorian, accompanied by the alien child and Jedi apprentice Grogu—better known to many fans as “Baby Yoda”—while carrying an American flag.

Keep ReadingShow less
Tucker Carlson; Lulu Garcia-Navarro
The Interview/New York Times

'New York Times' Hits Tucker Carlson With The Awkward Receipts After He Denies Calling Trump 'The Antichrist'

Former Fox News talking head Tucker Carlson sat down with journalist Lulu Garcia-Navarro for a deep dive for The New York Times podcast The Interview. Garcia-Navarro used the opportunity to ask Carlson about his split with MAGA Republican President Donald Trump.

Carlson had been critical of Trump over his Iran war, Trump's increasingly unhinged rhetoric, and the infamous meme Trump posted, then deleted, depicting himself as Jesus Christ.

Keep ReadingShow less