Skip to content
Search AI Powered

Latest Stories

NASCAR Driver Hit With Backlash For Using Racial Slur During Livestreamed Virtual Racing Event

NASCAR Driver Hit With Backlash For Using Racial Slur During Livestreamed Virtual Racing Event
Matt Sullivan/Getty Images

NASCAR driver Kyle Larson and his team were suspended after the 27-year-old stock car racer used the N-word during a live-streamed virtual race on Sunday.

NASCAR said his behavior was a violation of conduct guidelines and ordered him to attend sensitivity training as directed by the Daytona Beach-based organization before he's eligible for reinstatement.


Larson used the racial slur while participating in an iRacing virtual race—a subscription-based race simulation video game.

He apparently had a difficult time communicating online with his spotter on his headset.

A voice belonging to Larson was heard shouting:

"You can't hear me? Hey, n****r."

*WARNING: NSFW racist language

Unfortunately, Larson went there.


Once the shock settled, fans expressed their disappointment for the 2012 NASCAR K&N Pro Series East champion and former Rookie of the Year.


On Monday, the Chip Ganassi driver expressed his regrets by apologizing on Twitter for using a word that should "never ever be said."

He began his apology by acknowledging "there is no excuse for that" and insisting he was not "raised that way."

Larson's mother is Japanese. Her parents were imprisoned in internment camps in California during World War II.

He is the most successful driver to have entered NASCAR through its "Drive for Diversity" program, started in 2004 by marketing executives to draw minority fans and drivers into the traditionally White male-dominated sport.

According to ESPN, Larson is the only driver of Japanese-descent to win a major NASCAR race.

In the video of his tweet, Larson admitted his egregious mistake:

"There's no excuse for that. I wasn't raised that way. It's just an awful thing to say."

Larson continued by apologizing to friends, family, the NASCAR community and "especially to the African American community."

"I understand the damage is probably unrepairable and I own up to that."
"But I wanted to just let you all know how sorry I am. I hope everyone is staying safe during these crazy times."

The online community was unforgiving towards Larson, who at 27 had been regarded as one of NACAR's rising stars.


The National Association for Stock Car Auto Racing (NASCAR) issued a statement saying:

"NASCAR has made diversity and inclusion a priority and will not tolerate the type of language used by Kyle Larson during Sunday's iRacing event."
"Our Member Conduct Guidelines are clear in this regard, and we will enforce these guidelines to maintain an inclusive environment for our entire industry and fan base."



Larson was also suspended indefinitely by iRacing.

In a statement, the video game developer said:

"iRacing considers itself to be a welcome and inclusive community for racing enthusiasts all around the world."
"We have strict policies against offensive behavior and language. Kyle Larson's language last night during a streamed online race was both offensive and inappropriate, and in violation of our sporting code."
"As such, Kyle Larson has been suspended indefinitely from the iRacing service."

Chip Ganassi Racing—which operates teams including IndyCar Series, Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series—also said in a statement:

"We are extremely disappointed by what Kyle said last night during an iRacing Event. The words that he chose to use are offensive and unacceptable."
"As of this moment we are suspending Kyle without pay while we work through this situation with all appropriate parties."


A few took Larson's public apology to heart.




Larson also suffered consequences through the loss of sponsors when McDonald's and Credit One Bank terminated their deals with him.

Chevrolet also suspended its personal services relationship with Larson.

Whether his use of the word was intentional or not, the ramifications spoke volumes.

This shirt is available here.

Amazon

More from Trending

dog and cat snuggling together
Krista Mangulsone on Unsplash

Times Pet Owners 'Severely Underestimated' Their Pets' Intelligence

I've lived with cats—because no one owns a feline—most of my life. Some have been very clever creatures while others were real dingbats.

Family members have owned dogs whose talents also ran the gamut.

Keep ReadingShow less
Scott Bessent
Meet the Press/NBC News

Scott Bessent Blasted Over His Bonkers Suggestion For How To Bring Your Own Inflation Rate Down

Continuing to follow the example of MAGA Republican President Donald Trump, Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent appeared on Meet the Press Sunday to blame Democratic President Joe Biden for the financial downturn caused by Trump's tariff fiasco, then lied repeatedly about the state of the economy.

Meet the Press host Kristen Welker played a clip of MAGA Republican Vice President JD Vance telling a conservative audience at a Breitbart News event that Americans owe the Trump administration "a little bit of patience"—apparently while they figure out what tariffs are and how they work since they're rolling back more of them to lower consumer prices despite claiming Trump's tariffs don't affect consumer prices.

Keep ReadingShow less
Lindsay Lohan attends the men's final during day fifteen of the 2025 US Open Tennis Championships at USTA Billie Jean King National Tennis Center.
Elsa/Getty Images

Lindsay Lohan Is Now Sporting A New Accent—And Fans Aren't Sure What To Make Of It

In a twist freakier than a sequel to Freaky Friday, Lindsay Lohan has debuted yet another new accent—this time at the Fashion Trust Arabia Awards in Doha, Qatar.

Draped in a maroon, jewel-trimmed gown by The New Arrivals Ilkyaz Ozel and accompanied by her husband, Bader Shammas, and their 2-year-old son, Luai, the actress looked serene, elegant, and completely unbothered by the collective whiplash she was about to inflict on the internet.

Keep ReadingShow less
Jameela Jamil
Gilbert Flores/Variety/Getty Images

Jameela Jamil Speaks Out Against The Rise Of The 'Aesthetic Of Emaciation' Among Women In Hollywood

Content Warning: eating disorders, thinness as an aesthetic, emaciation in Hollywood

There's no denying that we've been gifted with some incredible music, television shows, and films this year.

Keep ReadingShow less
Donald Trump; Screenshot of Jackie Chan and Chris Tucker in "Rush Hour 2"
Andrew Caballero-Reynolds/AFP via Getty Images; New Line Cinema

Trump Is Now Using His Presidential Sway To Pressure Studio Into Making 'Rush Hour 4'—And, Huh?

President Trump has reportedly pressured Paramount head Larry Ellison to make another sequel to Rush Hour, his favorite buddy-cop movie, as the company looks to acquire Warner Bros. Discovery.

The first Rush Hour film, starring Jackie Chan and Chris Tucker, was released in 1998, received positive reviews, and made $245 million worldwide. Chan and Tucker returned for two sequels released in 2001 and 2007 respectively.

Keep ReadingShow less