On Friday, the U.K. government consulted to reformat the Gender Recognition Act (GRA).
The GRA is a 2004 Act of British Parliament allowing transgender people to be legally recognized.
Updating GRA has been a long time coming. Many saw the Act as outdated, unable to truly benefit those it serves.
Previously, there were no provisions in place for non-binary people—who neither identify as "male" or "female"—to be legally defined as anything other than one of a binary gender.
Today is the last day to be a trans ally + contribute to the Gender Recognition Act survey - it takes just 3 MINS.… https://t.co/yuu86Gtcdp— Clare Callan (@Clare Callan)1539952030.0
LGBTQ advocate group, Stonewall, sought to reform the Gender Recognition Act so it can recognize non-binary identities. It would also give 16 – 17-year-olds the right of self-determination through a "simpler and more streamlined administrative process," according to the community website.
Stonewall hopes that under the reformed act, trans people will no longer be required to obtain a medical diagnosis of gender dysphoria to transition or to have their identities legally recognized.
If you are someone who follows my feed and have wondered how you could be an ally to the trans community - please c… https://t.co/ypiSY1Dpa4— shon faye. (@shon faye.)1535448563.0
Unfortunately, there is a small demographic claiming themselves to be feminists campaigning against "self-declaration" – which is the right for trans people to declare their own gender, according to Indy100.
These so-called feminists—commonly referred to as TERFs or "trans-exclusionary radical feminists"—view trans people, with the right to self-declare their gender, as being a threat to women.
Such transphobia created a rift for the majority of feminists who widely embrace trans people.
In response, pro-trans feminists have spoken in support.
Fiona Longmuir started a powerful thread on Twitter to support the transgender community ahead of the consultation that reached its October 19 deadline.
Reasons I, a cis woman, am more hurt by your transphobia than I ever have been by any trans person ever:— Fiona Longmuir 🍂 (@Fiona Longmuir 🍂)1539806475.0
FIRST OF ALL, how dare you. Literally how do you dare. Who died and made you the president of who people really ar… https://t.co/vNXtVZwqOw— Fiona Longmuir 🍂 (@Fiona Longmuir 🍂)1539806476.0
2. Feminists have spent countless years enduring unimaginable difficulty and pain so that women can be seen as more… https://t.co/aDF4MHlNOg— Fiona Longmuir 🍂 (@Fiona Longmuir 🍂)1539806476.0
3. As someone who has never tried to get pregnant, I have absolutely no idea whether that's something that's possib… https://t.co/XgWeg69eze— Fiona Longmuir 🍂 (@Fiona Longmuir 🍂)1539806639.0
4. My womanhood is infinitely complex, made up of every experience I've ever had. It's totally unique to me and no… https://t.co/yp0W7Z2Qny— Fiona Longmuir 🍂 (@Fiona Longmuir 🍂)1539806959.0
5. How do you propose to police your trans exclusive rules? Check down everyone's pants? Or, despite your nonsense… https://t.co/nlnlWJ0EzV— Fiona Longmuir 🍂 (@Fiona Longmuir 🍂)1539807415.0
6. My trans and nonbinary friends have been nothing but endlessly supportive in my pursuit of women's rights. They… https://t.co/3Uh8m2Pt5K— Fiona Longmuir 🍂 (@Fiona Longmuir 🍂)1539807683.0
7. It is my firm belief that what is in my pants is absolutely none of your business unless I want it to be. If t… https://t.co/OBfEkxY5t1— Fiona Longmuir 🍂 (@Fiona Longmuir 🍂)1539807991.0
8. LITERALLY WHAT'S IT TO YOU? Leave people alone. Let them live their life. Mind your business. The existence of… https://t.co/MQKDdYX05f— Fiona Longmuir 🍂 (@Fiona Longmuir 🍂)1539808343.0
9. The idea that we can't allow trans women into women's spaces because then violent men will pretend to be trans t… https://t.co/1KuwoZLzS9— Fiona Longmuir 🍂 (@Fiona Longmuir 🍂)1539808494.0
10. EVEN IF there was evidence that cis men were pretending to be trans to get access to women, what are we saying… https://t.co/rKuh7g9Nfj— Fiona Longmuir 🍂 (@Fiona Longmuir 🍂)1539808717.0
In conclusion, Fiona said that everyone should live their "truest, fullest life," and reminded everyone to fill out the GRA consultation form.
ANYWAY. I know who I am. I believe trans people know who they are. I believe everyone should live their truest, fu… https://t.co/BaYc03W5FQ— Fiona Longmuir 🍂 (@Fiona Longmuir 🍂)1539808957.0
Other feminists came forward in full support of Fiona's thread and updating the Gender Recognition Act.
@EscapologistFi I cannot agree more with this one, Fiona. Anyone who reduces womanhood to genitals isn't a feminist… https://t.co/9Za5ZIC14Z— Cassandra Duffy (@Cassandra Duffy)1539923143.0
@EscapologistFi @MinxTracy https://t.co/F17C9wOnk5— Kait Moon (@Kait Moon)1539859265.0
@EscapologistFi OH MY GOD SCREAM IT— Jocus Pocus (@Jocus Pocus)1539809002.0
@EscapologistFi Sincerest of thank yous from this non-conforming/fluid enby gal.— Colin 🦇💕 (@Colin 🦇💕)1539909775.0
@EscapologistFi Oh, btw, I also go by Rachel! https://t.co/VDCcBUk15v— Colin 🦇💕 (@Colin 🦇💕)1539931465.0
Actress Emma Watson also expressed her support for the trans community and Stonewall's mission.
💖✊🏻 @stonewalluk @Mermaids_Gender @AllAboutTrans @Genderintell https://t.co/r1wjHu6QRG— Emma Watson (@Emma Watson)1539853186.0
Others continued expressing the importance of changing the outdated GRA.
There’s a lot of knee-jerk reactionary bollocks going on around the #GRA. If you’re a feminist, there’s no excuse t… https://t.co/6U5T7Q9rAF— Polly Wiseman (@Polly Wiseman)1539953904.0
There are so many calm and eloquent pieces of writing appearing just now in response to the #GRA fear frenzy. I hop… https://t.co/Jr3zJwgpSl— Mags Hall (@Mags Hall)1539943276.0
Non-binary trans activist Fox Fisher stressed the importance of supporting the trans community, who are being portrayed by transphobic hate groups as sex offenders and criminals.
"Those advocating against the act has used the opportunity to try and demonize trans people as a whole, and have started comparing trans people to sex offenders, perverts and dangerous criminals, much like was done to gay people surrounding section 28," said Fisher.
"It's so important that people stick up for trans people, because we need that support more than ever."
Fisher's partner, also a non-binary activist, Owl Fisher, added:
"This reform has been made into one of the biggest issues in modern times despite it being a very small change that will only affect trans people."
"We just want to get on with our lives, and this GRA reform will make our lives so much easier."