Skip to content
Search AI Powered

Latest Stories

Billy Porter Offers Apology To Harry Styles For Attacking His 'Vogue' Cover: 'It's Not About You'

Billy Porter Offers Apology To Harry Styles For Attacking His 'Vogue' Cover: 'It's Not About You'
David M. Benett/Dave Benett/Getty Images, Kevin Mazur/Getty Images for HS)

Pose actor Billy Porter publicly apologized to pop singer Harry Styles. Porter has faced backlash for a comment he made last year about Vogue Magazine featuring the "Watermelon Sugar" singer on its cover.



Last October, Styles became Vogue's first male solo to grace the cover of the iconic fashion and lifestyle magazine, and he did it flawlessly in a fabulous Gucci gown.

While his gender-breaking portraiture incurred the wrath of conservative critics like Candace Owens, who encouraged toxic masculinity with her "Bring back manly men" comment, many celebrities and social media influencers supported Vogue and the former One Direction singer.

But Porter, who is a prominently gay, gender-bending fashion icon, was not happy with Vogue for promoting Styles' sartorial aesthetic.

The actor told The Sunday Times, "I feel like the fashion industry has accepted me because they have to," adding, "I'm not necessarily convinced and here is why."

"I created the conversation [about gender-fluid fashion] and yet Vogue still put Harry Styles, a straight white man, in a dress on their cover for the first time."



He suggested that selecting a famous, white pop singer for the cover was insulting, as Styles has not worked to establish non-binary fashion.

"I'm not dragging Harry Styles," Porter emphasized.

"But he is the one you're going to try and use to represent this new conversation? He doesn't care, he's just doing it because it's the thing to do."

delete


Now that the dust has settled since the heated conversation, Porter clarified his statement about Styles and apologized to him during an interview with Stephen Colbert on November 6.


"The first thing I wanna say is, Harry Styles, I apologize to you for having your name in my mouth. It's not about you," said Porter.

"The conversation is not about you. The conversation is actually deeper than that. It's about the systems of oppression and erasure of people of color who contribute to the culture."





He admitted that it was a "lot to unpack," but added he was willing to revisit the conversation "sans the dragging and cancel culture of the internet because I do not now, nor will I ever, adjudicate my life—or humanity—in soundbites on social media."

"So when you're ready to have the real conversation, call a b*tch," he said while fanning himself with a Pride fan.

He finished the segment, saying:

"I'm sorry, Harry. I didn't mean no harm. I'm a gay man. We like Harry, he's cute."

More from Entertainment

Randy Fine
Tom Williams/CQ-Roll Call, Inc via Getty Images

MAGA Rep. Hit With Instant Backlash After Tweeting Truly Vile Post About Muslims And Dogs

Florida Republican Representative Randy Fine is facing harsh criticism after publishing a bigoted tweet that draws a comparison between Muslim people and dogs.

Fine said he was reacting to an online post from Palestinian American activist Nerdeen Kiswani, who wrote that dogs belonged in society but not inside homes, calling them unclean. Kiswani later told NBC News the remark was satirical and part of a local New York debate about dog waste following a recent snowstorm.

Keep Reading Show less
Hillary Clinton; Donald Trump
Alex Wong/Getty Images; Mandel Ngan/AFP via Getty Images

Hillary Clinton Epically Calls Out 'Disgraceful' Trump For Working With Putin Against Ukraine: 'He Has Betrayed The West'

Former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton criticized President Donald Trump and his administration during an exchange at the Munich Security Conference over the weekend, saying Trump has "betrayed the West" with his "disgraceful" handling of Ukraine.

In particular, Clinton called out Trump's often deferential attitude toward Russian President Vladimir Putin, who invaded Ukraine in a "special military operation" in 2022. Clinton said that not only are Putin and Trump "profiting" off Ukrainian "misery," Trump is also looking to Putin as a "model" of what a leader can be, effectively betraying Western values.

Keep Reading Show less
Miss J. Alexander; Tyra Banks
Netflix; Mark Metcalfe/Getty Images

Fans Upset After 'America's Next Top Model' Favorite J. Alexander Reveals Tyra Banks Didn't Visit Him After His Stroke In 2022

Tyra Banks wanted to share her side of the story and do some big reveals in the Netflix docuseries Reality Check: Inside America's Next Top Model, but if she was hoping the docuseries would improve her image to the public, she was sadly mistaken.

Past model contestants have already gone public about their time on the show, but now, people from behind the scenes, like one of the show's photographers and judges, Nigel Barker, the creative director, Jay Manuel, and judge and runway coach Miss J. Alexander, have all come forward with their experiences, and the history might be darker than we ever expected.

Keep Reading Show less
Sarah Spain; JD Vance
@spain2323/Instagram; Kevin Lamarque/POOL/AFP via Getty Images

ESPN Commentator Claps Back After Her Comments About 'Demon' Vance Spark Hate From MAGA Trolls

Emmy-winning sports reporter Sarah Spain drew the ire of the MAGA minions after commenting on having to sit near MAGA Republican Vice President JD Vance at a Team USA women's hockey game. Spain is covering the 2026 Milano Cortina Winter Olympics in Italy.

In addition to her 15 year career at ESPN, Spain also hosts the award-winning daily iHeart women's sports Good Game with Sarah Spain podcast and serves as Content Director for the iHeart Women's Sports Network for iHeartMedia.

Keep Reading Show less
Marc Kennedy during Milano Cortina 2026 Winter Olympics Men's Curling Round Robin.
Foto Olimpik/NurPhoto via Getty Images

Canadian Olympic Curler Sparks Flurry Of Memes After He's Accused Of Cheating By 'Poking' Stone

Last week at the Winter Olympics, tensions ran high when Team Canada faced Sweden in the men’s curling event. A cheating controversy erupted after Sweden’s Oskar Eriksson accused Canadian curler Marc Kennedy of illegally touching the granite portion of a curling stone rather than the handle, which the rules prohibit.

Sweden further alleged a “double touch,” which occurs when a player makes contact with the stone after it passes the hog line.

Keep Reading Show less