Skip to content
Search AI Powered

Latest Stories

Parents Outraged After Ohio School Bars Their Kids From Attending Due To Their Hairstyle

Parents Outraged After Ohio School Bars Their Kids From Attending Due To Their Hairstyle
Chris Tobin/Getty Images

A Black Cincinnati couple recently had their children barred from their private school--not because they have the virus, or behavioral problems, but because they have a natural Black hairstyle: locs.

Christina and Nate Johnson were told their two children, Asten, 6, and Arrison, 3, were not welcome at Zion Temple Christian Academy because of their hairstyle, despite the fact that Asten wore the same hairstyle last year.


Locs are a natural hair style for Black people, and Christina and Nate both wear it themselves. And their children love the hairstyle because it makes them look like their parents. As Christina told The Cincinnati Enquirer:

"[Asten] looks in the mirror every single day and tells me how long his hair has grown."

But according to the school's dress code policy, boys are forbidden from having "braids, design cuts or Mohawk hairstyles."

None of those definitions apply to Asten or Arrison's hair, but the code also stipulates that "hair must be cut one inch short." Neither child wears his hair long, like his parents do, but when Asten's hair is wet, it extends down to his eyes.

Christina is deeply dismayed by the school's decision, especially given the demographic the school primarily serves.

"What's disheartening about Zion Temple is it's in the middle of a Black community, and it's a predominantly Black school. How can you not accept your own people?"

Discrimination based on hair is a common experience for Black people. So common in fact, that California and New York both recently passed state laws making the practice illegal.

Cincinnati has a similar law, in fact, but it includes an exemption for religious groups, so it does not apply to schools like Zion.

Christina told The Enquirer she felt the hair rules outlined in the school's dress code were implicitly directed at Black children.

"I just don't understand how you can be an African American facility that promotes kings and queens in the heart of a black community, and then you discriminate against people who look like the community."

On Twitter, many people were outraged by the Johnsons' story.












In the end, the Johnsons have chosen to send their children elsewhere--Asten to a public school nearby, and Arrison to a babysitter in a nearby town, which extends their father's commute by 90 mins.

"I'm going do whatever I need to do for my kids. It's just unfortunate because of a hairstyle. You're supposed to be accepting. Come as you are."

The family has stated that they would not return to Zion even if they changed their hair policy.

More from Trending

Keith Ervin
WJHL/YouTube

Tennessee High Schooler Rips Into 'Cowards' On School Board For Not Firing Colleague Who Called Her 'Hot' In Scathing Takedown

A Tennessee community is in an uproar after a school board member has been allowed to keep his job after making an inappropriate comment to a high schooler.

Washington County high schooler Hannah Campbell delivered a scathing takedown of board member Keith Ervin, who called her "hot" during a public meeting in April.

Keep ReadingShow less
Donald Trump
Kevin Dietsch/Getty Images

Trump Claims The White House Was 'A Sh*t House' When He Moved Back In—And Everyone Had The Same Response

MAGA Republican President Donald Trump has made significant, controversial changes to the White House since he took up residence for his second term on January 20, 2025.

The renovations in just over one year include installing pavers to replace the grass in the Rose Garden, adding gold decor throughout the building and especially in the Oval Office, renovating the Lincoln bathroom to add marble and more gold fixtures, adding gold signs for White House features like it's one of Trump's resorts, hanging a plethora of massive portraits of himself in gaudy gold frames, and demolishing the entire East Wing of the building to erect a self-described monument to himself, an unpopular golden ballroom that will dwarf the rest of the building.

Keep ReadingShow less
Trump Mobile phone; Screenshot of Trump supporter complaining about Trump Mobile
Joe Raedle/Getty Images; @codenamesteev/TikTok

MAGA Melts Down Hard After Learning They May Never Get Their 'Trump Mobile' Phones—Or Their Deposits Back

MAGA fans who signed up to get Trump Mobile T1 phones nearly a year ago are furious after learning there's no guarantee they'll ever get the phones they put down deposits for—and that these same deposits are now being described as merely a "conditional opportunity."

The Trump Mobile T1 phone was unveiled in June 2025 on the 10th anniversary of Trump’s original presidential campaign launch, marking the Trump brand’s debut in the mobile device and wireless service market. At the time, the company said the phone would be available in August.

Keep ReadingShow less
Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez
UChicago Institute of Politics/YouTube

People Are Applauding AOC's Refreshing Take On Her Political 'Ambition' After She Was Called Out As A 'Likely 2028 Presidential Candidate'

When asked about her future political ambitions during an appearance at the Institute of Politics at the University of Chicago, New York Democratic Representative Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez was notably candid, saying her "ambition is to change this country," as she ripped a Washington Post editorial that tried to knock her down a peg for her take on the morality of billionaires.

The progressive is not currently considered the frontrunner in early 2028 Democratic primary polling but some surveys suggest she has already emerged as a serious contender in what is expected to be a crowded field.

Keep ReadingShow less
Sir Rod Stewart and King Charles III; Donald Trump
Kirsty Wigglesworth - WPA Pool/Getty Images; Kevin Dietsch/Getty Images

Rod Stewart Just Gave Trump The Most Brutally Accurate New Nickname During Candid Conversation With King Charles

On Monday, King Charles III attended an event at Royal Albert Hall to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the King's Trust—previously called the Prince's Trust—which the United Kingdom's reigning monarch founded in 1976 to support young people aged 11-30 facing challenges like unemployment, poverty, or lack of education.

In attendance that night was Sir Rod Stewart, who was knighted in 2016. Stewart and the King have met several times, and briefly chatted while King Charles greeted distinguished guests in the reception line.

Keep ReadingShow less