Skip to content
Search AI Powered

Latest Stories

North Korea Just Slammed the U.S. Over Denuclearization Talks After Meeting With Trump's Secretary of State

North Korea Just Slammed the U.S. Over Denuclearization Talks After Meeting With Trump's Secretary of State
US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo (R) and Kim Yong Chol (L), North Korean senior ruling party official and former intelligence chief, return to discussions after a break at Park Hwa Guest House in Pyongyang on July 7, 2018. - Pompeo held talks in an elegant Pyongyang guest house for a second day with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un's right-hand man Kim Yong Chol. (Photo by Andrew Harnik / POOL / AFP) (Photo credit should read ANDREW HARNIK/AFP/Getty Images)

That can't be good.

North Korea has responded to U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo's latest visit to the nuclear-armed country, describing American attempts to get the country to denuclearize as "regrettable," "gangster-like" and "cancerous" in a statement released by Korea Central News Agency on Saturday.

The state-run news agency said the United States pressed "the same cancerous" issues that have been brought up in past meetings and that pressure from the U.S. to give up its nuclear weapons was a breach of the agreement signed by the two nations in Singapore last month.


President Donald Trump tweeted Monday morning he has "confidence" Kim Jong Un "will honor the contract" and "even more importantly, our handshake," although no specific details on denuclearization were agreed upon and the agreement the two leaders signed was not binding.

Trump also suggested that China may be "exerting negative pressure" on North Korea in response to the budding trade war he started by imposing tariffs on imported Chinese goods.

"We agreed to the denuclearization of North Korea."

“The U.S. side came up only with its unilateral and gangster-like demand for denuclearization,” the statement said. “The issues the U.S. side insisted on during the talks were the same cancerous ones that the past U.S. administrations had insisted on."

"We expected the US to bring constructive measures to build confidence in accordance with the spirit of the US-NK Summit," KCNA said. "However, the attitude of the US in the first high-level talks held on the 6th and 7th were indeed regrettable."

Pompeo did not meet with leader Kim Jong Un during his three-day visit last week. KCNA said that even though Kim still believes in Trump's desire to negotiate, Pompeo's visit pushed tensions to a “dangerous” stage that could “rattle our willingness for denuclearization.”

On Sunday, Pompeo dismissed the North Korean's characterizations of his trip, telling Japanese and South Korean officials that his talks with North Korean leadership had been productive. Pompeo insisted that North Korea has maintained their commitment to work toward denuclearization, including an eventual surrender of its nuclear weapons.

"We had detailed, substantive conversations about the next steps toward a fully verified and complete denuclearization," he said. "People are going to make stray comments after meetings. If I paid attention to what the press said, I'd go nuts. I am determined to achieve the commitment that President Trump made, and I'm counting on chairman Kim to be determined to follow through on the commitment that he made."

There will be a verification connected to the complete denuclearization, that's what President Trump and Chairman Kim both agreed to.

Pompeo added on Sunday night that "President Trump believes your country can replicate this path -- it's yours if you'll seize the moment. The miracle can be yours," citing Vietnam's "incredible rise" in recent decades as a result of sustaining a relationship with the United States.

"If they are able to do this, they will be remembered, and Chairman Kim will be remembered as a hero of the Korean people," Pompeo added.

“They’re upping the ante for what they want, and downplaying what we want,” Bill Richardson, the former New Mexico governor who has negotiated with North Korea, said on Sunday. This is typical. They’re very skilled at sending messages. And their message is that this negotiation is not going to be easy. And it’s going to be very costly. So you’d better be prepared to deliver.”

But not all analysts agree. Evans Revere, a former U.S. diplomat who has also dealt with North Korea, said KCNA's statement meant the talks didn't go well.

“Pompeo appears to have presented the North Koreans with some demands and requirements for real moves toward denuclearization, as opposed to the symbolic steps and empty language Pyongyang has been using so far. He deserves credit for doing so,” Revere wrote in an email.

“But in doing so, he has elicited North Korean ire, and he has now seen the reality of North Korea’s game plan and intentions that many of us have been describing for some time,” Revere added. “Welcome to our world, Mr. Secretary.”

One of the more stringent challenges in negotiating with North Korea is that neither side has the same definition of what denuclearization means. For the United States and its allies, nothing short of North Korea declaring, dismantling, an abandoning its nuclear weapons would be satisfactory. Speculation continues to swirl around what denuclearization means to the North Koreans.

More from News

Keith Ervin
WJHL/YouTube

Tennessee High Schooler Rips Into 'Cowards' On School Board For Not Firing Colleague Who Called Her 'Hot' In Scathing Takedown

A Tennessee community is in an uproar after a school board member has been allowed to keep his job after making an inappropriate comment to a high schooler.

Washington County high schooler Hannah Campbell delivered a scathing takedown of board member Keith Ervin, who called her "hot" during a public meeting in April.

Keep ReadingShow less
Donald Trump
Kevin Dietsch/Getty Images

Trump Claims The White House Was 'A Sh*t House' When He Moved Back In—And Everyone Had The Same Response

MAGA Republican President Donald Trump has made significant, controversial changes to the White House since he took up residence for his second term on January 20, 2025.

The renovations in just over one year include installing pavers to replace the grass in the Rose Garden, adding gold decor throughout the building and especially in the Oval Office, renovating the Lincoln bathroom to add marble and more gold fixtures, adding gold signs for White House features like it's one of Trump's resorts, hanging a plethora of massive portraits of himself in gaudy gold frames, and demolishing the entire East Wing of the building to erect a self-described monument to himself, an unpopular golden ballroom that will dwarf the rest of the building.

Keep ReadingShow less
Trump Mobile phone; Screenshot of Trump supporter complaining about Trump Mobile
Joe Raedle/Getty Images; @codenamesteev/TikTok

MAGA Melts Down Hard After Learning They May Never Get Their 'Trump Mobile' Phones—Or Their Deposits Back

MAGA fans who signed up to get Trump Mobile T1 phones nearly a year ago are furious after learning there's no guarantee they'll ever get the phones they put down deposits for—and that these same deposits are now being described as merely a "conditional opportunity."

The Trump Mobile T1 phone was unveiled in June 2025 on the 10th anniversary of Trump’s original presidential campaign launch, marking the Trump brand’s debut in the mobile device and wireless service market. At the time, the company said the phone would be available in August.

Keep ReadingShow less
Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez
UChicago Institute of Politics/YouTube

People Are Applauding AOC's Refreshing Take On Her Political 'Ambition' After She Was Called Out As A 'Likely 2028 Presidential Candidate'

When asked about her future political ambitions during an appearance at the Institute of Politics at the University of Chicago, New York Democratic Representative Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez was notably candid, saying her "ambition is to change this country," as she ripped a Washington Post editorial that tried to knock her down a peg for her take on the morality of billionaires.

The progressive is not currently considered the frontrunner in early 2028 Democratic primary polling but some surveys suggest she has already emerged as a serious contender in what is expected to be a crowded field.

Keep ReadingShow less
Sir Rod Stewart and King Charles III; Donald Trump
Kirsty Wigglesworth - WPA Pool/Getty Images; Kevin Dietsch/Getty Images

Rod Stewart Just Gave Trump The Most Brutally Accurate New Nickname During Candid Conversation With King Charles

On Monday, King Charles III attended an event at Royal Albert Hall to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the King's Trust—previously called the Prince's Trust—which the United Kingdom's reigning monarch founded in 1976 to support young people aged 11-30 facing challenges like unemployment, poverty, or lack of education.

In attendance that night was Sir Rod Stewart, who was knighted in 2016. Stewart and the King have met several times, and briefly chatted while King Charles greeted distinguished guests in the reception line.

Keep ReadingShow less