Skip to content
Search AI Powered

Latest Stories

Another Night Club Mass Shooting Rocks Florida

Another Night Club Mass Shooting Rocks Florida
Make us preferred on Google

[DIGEST: CBS, NBC, New York Times]

A gunman killed two people and injured 16 others outside a nightclub hosting an event for teens in Fort Myers, Florida, early Monday morning. The shooting took place in the parking lot of Club Blu, about three miles south of City Hall, as parents arrived to pick up their children after the event had finished.


Captain Jim Mulligan of the Fort Myers Police Department said officers arrived around 12:30 AM to the sight of “several victims suffering from gunshot wounds.” At “this time, the scene is still very active as investigators and crime scene personnel attempt to determine what had occurred,” Captain Mulligan said. “The Police Department is attempting to determine a motive for this incident.” Authorities are also canvassing two other sites following the shooting. One person sustained injuries after gunfire erupted five blocks away on Parkway Street, where a home and several vehicles were shot at. And on Ortiz Avenue, officials detained three individuals for questioning.

One man, who said a close friend was at the nightclub at the time of the shooting, described a scene of utter chaos. "I called and couldn't get a hold of them, I rushed to Blu scared when I arrived I got one of them and he said that the shooter took of [sic] and the cops where [sic] chasing him," he wrote via Facebook. “It was a mad house people were running everywhere. All people were saying was their friends' names to see if they're okay -- a lot of phone calls to parents. But it was one of the scariest sights to just see people come pouring out like that."

Credit: Source.

Syretta Gary, the mother of a young girl who escaped injury, said that her daughter’s friend had been shot in the leg. “I just thank God that my daughter is O.K. because she could’ve been shot,” she said in a video posted on Twitter by local reporter Malcolm Johnson. “Her dodging bullets, running, dropping between cars, it’s ridiculous that these kids have to go through this. They can’t enjoy themselves because you have other people with criminalistic minds, and they just want to terrorize people.”

According to Cheryl Garn, a spokeswoman for Lee Memorial Hospital, the victims, ages 12 to 27, began arriving around 1:30 AM. “Sixteen people were treated in the trauma center and emergency department,” she said in a statement. “One victim expired at the hospital.” Garn clarified that four victims remain at the hospital, one in critical condition.

Club Blu posted a statement on Facebook early Monday. "We are deeply sorry

for all involved," Club Blu said. “We tried to give the teens what we thought was a safe place to have a good time.” The club said armed security was present at the event but that “there was nothing more we could have done.”

The attack in Fort Myers comes little more than a month after the June 12 massacre at Orlando’s Pulse nightclub, which left 49 dead and 53 injured. The attack was the deadliest mass shooting by a single gunman in American history.

The shooting galvanized lawmakers in Washington. Senate Democrats, led by Connecticut Senator Chris Murphy, led a filibuster and forced a Senate vote on four pending bills. Though all of them were defeated along party lines, some drew a few swing votes. A compromise bill is now under consideration. Later that week, House Democrats seized the House floor in a sit-in, vowing to block any legislative action until Speaker Paul Ryan promised to allow votes on several proposals, including blocking suspected terrorists on the no-fly list from purchasing guns. The resounding cry, “No bill, no break,” a reference to the upcoming July recess, captivated the nation as lawmakers held up signs with the names of victims of gun violence and broke into “We Shall Overcome” as Ryan adjourned Congress over their voices. Democrats continued their sit-in even after that and vowed to fight on after Congress reconvened.

Sen. Chris Murphy. (Credit: Source.)

More from News

Omar Jimenez and Nancy Mace from CNN interview
CNN

Nancy Mace Gets Blunt Civics Lesson After Claiming Every Muslim Elected Official Is A 'Trojan Horse'

South Carolina Republican Representative Nancy Mace was called out by CNN anchor Omar Jimenez for her lack of understanding of the First Amendment after she published a series of Islamophobic tweets, including one referring to every Muslim elected official in the country as a "Trojan horse."

Mace's posts came after Abdul El-Sayed won Michigan's Democratic primary for U.S. Senate. El-Sayed, a physician who campaigned on expanding healthcare access, strengthening the economy, and ending unconditional U.S. military aid to Israel, became the first progressive to win a statewide primary in a state carried by President Donald Trump in the 2024 election. He is set to face former Republican Congressman Mike Rogers in November.

Keep ReadingShow less
Bill Cassidy; Donald Trump
Kevin Dietsch/Getty Images; Chip Somodevilla/Getty Images

GOP Senator Hit With Brutal Reminder After Slamming Trump Over Executive Order To Break Up MMR Vaccine

Louisiana Republican Senator Bill Cassidy was criticized for voting to confirm Robert F. Kennedy Jr. as Secretary of Health and Human Services (HHS) after he spoke out against President Donald Trump's executive order recommending that the measles, mumps and rubella (MMR) vaccine be broken up into separate shots.

The new policy would recommend giving the MMR vaccine as three individual injections rather than as a combined shot, while also spacing childhood vaccinations across separate doctor visits.

Keep ReadingShow less
Donald Trump
@atrupar/X

Trump Slammed After Claiming Infants Get Vaccines The 'Size Of A Bottle Of Soda' In Unhinged Rant

In the latest move toward promoting conspiracy theories and anti-vaxxer pseudoscience over legitimate research, MAGA Republican President Donald Trump signed an executive order titled Delivering Gold Standard Childhood Vaccine Recommendations for Americans.

The signing ceremony was attended by members of his administration and other guests, including anti-vax activist and Health and Human Services Secretary Robert F. Kennedy Jr., White House policy advisor and Project 2025 architect Stephen Miller, and health economist and controversial National Institutes of Health Director and acting Centers for Disease Control Director Jay Bhattacharya, who attended medical school but never practiced medicine.

Keep ReadingShow less
Ryan Reynolds; Janice and Jeff Ivey
Frazer Harrison/Getty Images; Jeff Ivey

Ryan Reynolds Has Hilarious One-Liner After Texas Couple Moves To Wrexham After Being Inspired By His Reality Show

After watching Welcome to Wrexham on Disney+ and visiting Wales seven times in the past two years, Texas couple Jeff and Janice Ivey decided to make the big move from Texas to Wrexham.

The docuseries stars Ryan Reynolds, It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia's Rob McElhenney, and the Wrexham soccer team, and it showcased a sense of community that the couple loved. Since Jeff has UK citizenship thanks to Scottish ancestry, the Iveys decided to put it to good use to visit various places in Wales, focusing their time on Wrexham.

Keep ReadingShow less
Brooke Shields on @grier_henchy's TikTok
@grier_henchy/TikTok

Brooke Shields Offers Iconic Clapbacks After Daughter Hops On 'Bully' TikTok Trend To Jokingly Mock Her Gray Hair And Wrinkles

A lot of trends that get popular on TikTok are mean-spirited, in most people's opinion, and now there's a "bully trend" going around in which people say unkind, critical things to a friend or family member and give them a chance to clap back.

When her daughter Grier approached her with the trend, Brooke Shields was ready.

Keep ReadingShow less