Skip to content
Search AI Powered

Latest Stories

Police On The Hunt For Solid Gold Toilet After It Was Stolen From Winston Churchill's Birthplace

Police On The Hunt For Solid Gold Toilet After It Was Stolen From Winston Churchill's Birthplace
Press Association Images - Jacopo Zotti (Guggenheim Museum 2016)

Police are searching for a solid gold toilet stolen from the birthplace of Winston Churchill. Valued at £1 million (around $1,242,615 USD) and installed as part of an art exhibition at Blenheim Palace, the 18-carat toilet was taken in the early hours of Saturday, Thames Valley Police said.


The theft of the fully-functioning piece, named "America" and designed by Italian artist Maurizio Cattelan, caused significant flood damage at the 18th-century Oxfordshire estate as it had been plumbed in for visitors to use.

A 66-year-old man has been arrested over the incident and the palace was closed to the public on Saturday.

It seems like a scene from "The Pink Panther" movie.

Giphy

“A group of offenders broke into the palace and stole a high value toilet made out of gold that was on display," Inspector Richard Nicholls from Thames Valley Police said. “We believe they used at least two vehicles during the offense and left the scene at around 4:50 am. The artwork has not been recovered at this time, but there is a thorough investigation being carried out."

When asked if a reception party reportedly held on Thursday, the night of the exhibition's launch, could be connected, Nicholls added: “I am not aware of the reception party personally, but that would form part of our enquiries in order to ascertain events leading up to the item being stolen."

The sculpture hit the headlines last year after it was offered to President Donald Trump by the chief curator of the Guggenheim museum in New York.

It was installed at the country home of the aristocratic Marlborough family as part of exhibition by conceptual artist Cattelan which began on Thursday.

The theft comes after the Duke of Marlborough's half-brother, Edward Spencer-Churchill, said last month it wouldn't be “the easiest thing to nick."

“Firstly, it's plumbed in and secondly, a potential thief will have no idea who last used the toilet or what they ate," Spencer-Churchill told the Times. “So no, I don't plan to be guarding it."

The golden toilet had proved popular at the Guggenheim and has been described by critics as a pointed satire against the excesses of wealth.

“Whatever you eat, a two-hundred-dollar lunch or a two-dollar hot dog, the results are the same, toilet-wise," Cattelan has previously said.

More than 100,000 people made use of its “participatory nature" at the Fifth Avenue museum between 2016 and 2017, making available to the public “an extravagant luxury product seemingly intended for the 1%," said the Guggenheim website. It gained renewed attention last year when the White House requested to borrow a Vincent van Gogh painting for Trump and his wife Melania's private living area, the Washington Post reported.

Thames Valley Police said they were called to reports of a burglary at the Oxfordshire estate shortly before 5am on Saturday.

“The piece of art that has been stolen is a high value toilet made out of gold that was on display at the palace," Detective Inspector Jess Milne said. “The artwork has not been recovered at this time, but we are conducting a thorough investigation to find it and bring those responsible to justice."

Cattelan's exhibition is scheduled to run at World Heritage Site Blenheim Palace from September 12 to October 27. Blenheim Palace chief executive Dominic Hare urged anyone with any information to contact police.

“We are saddened by this extraordinary event, but also relieved no-one was hurt," he said. "We are very grateful to our staff and to Thames Valley Police for their rapid and brave reactions. We knew there was huge interest in the Maurizio Cattelan contemporary art exhibition, with many set to come and enjoy the installations. It's therefore a great shame an item so precious has been taken, but we still have so many fascinating treasures in the palace and the remaining items of the exhibition to share.

The investigation continues but visitors can experience the rest of the exhibit.

More from Trending

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez; Donald Trump
Tom Williams/CQ-Roll Call, Inc via Getty Images; Alex Wong/Getty Images

AOC Has Iconic Clapback After Trump Gripes That He Didn't Understand Bad Bunny's Halftime Show

New York Democratic Representative Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez had the perfect response after President Donald Trump whined about Bad Bunny's Super Bowl halftime performance for being in Spanish.

The rapper delivered a largely Spanish-language show that has been hailed as a "love letter to Puerto Rico" and that drew from his latest album, Debí Tirar Más Fotos, which won the Grammy for Album of the Year earlier this month—and Trump couldn't help but complain about the performance.

Keep ReadingShow less
Sturla Holm Laegreid
Kevin Voigt/GettyImages

Olympic Biathlon Medalist Admits To Cheating On His Girlfriend In Bizarre Interview

Um, awkward...

Norwegian Olympian Sturla Holm Laegreid is making headlines after winning the bronze medal in the men's biathlon competition at the Milano Cortina Winter Olympics—but not because of his big win.

Keep ReadingShow less
Chappell Roan
Gilbert Flores/Billboard via Getty Images

Chappell Roan Announces She's Leaving Talent Agency After CEO Is Named In Epstein Files

The United States Justice Department recently released risqué emails exchanged between a then-married Casey Wasserman and convicted sex offender Ghislaine Maxwell and others sent to child sex trafficker Jeffrey Epstein.

The emails were contained in the files compiled during the investigation and indictment of both Maxwell and Epstein, her co-conspirator, registered sex offender and longtime friend of MAGA Republican President Donald Trump.

Keep ReadingShow less
Robert F Kennedy Jr.
C-SPAN

RFK Jr. Ripped After Giving Exteremely Telling Explanation For Why It's A 'Joy' To Work For Trump

Throughout his life, people who worked for or with MAGA Republican President Donald Trump got burned. Employees and contractors never got paid. Loyalty was repaid by being thrown under the bus to save his own skin.

The pattern continued into his public life. Members of Trump's first presidential administration were sacrificed and vilified to cover for Trump's failures and incompetence.

Keep ReadingShow less
Screenshot of Piers Morgan and Megyn Kelly
Piers Morgan Uncensored

Megyn Kelly Claims 'Football Is Ours!' In Epic Tantrum Over Bad Bunny's Halftime Show

Far-right pundit Megyn Kelly had people shaking their heads after she threw a bonkers tantrum over Bad Bunny's Super Bowl halftime show performance, declaring that "football is ours!" and that the Puerto Rican rapper performing in Spanish was “a middle finger to the rest of America.”

The rapper, whose real name is Benito Antonio Martínez Ocasio, delivered a largely Spanish-language show that has been hailed as a "love letter to Puerto Rico" and that drew from his latest album, Debí Tirar Más Fotos, which won the Grammy for Album of the Year just a week ago.

Keep ReadingShow less