Skip to content
Search AI Powered

Latest Stories

Santos Says He Opposes Gay Marriage On Same Day He Celebrates 2nd Anniversary With Husband

George Santos
Mandel Ngan/AFP via Getty Images

The now-expelled GOP Rep. told reporters he 'was an opposer of gay marriage' after having just celebrated his 2nd wedding anniversary with his husband, Matt, earlier that day.

Former New York Republican Representative George Santos raised eyebrows during his final hours in office by publicly denouncing LGBTQ+ rights, specifically targeting marriage equality, despite being married to a man himself.

Santos marked his second wedding anniversary with his husband, Matt, by sharing pictures on social media along with the following message:


"2 year[s] since we said I Do!"
"Happy anniversary to my partner in life and to my rock who has not skipped a beat over the past few months. Thank you for being the most amazing spouse! I Love you to the moon and back!"

You can see his post below.

However, later that day, he made puzzling comments to reporters at the Capitol, expressing opposition to his own right to marry as a member of the LGBTQ+ community.

Santos reiterated his belief that his marriage should not be labeled as "marriage" and suggested that it should have been recognized as a civil union, providing similar legal rights and benefits under the law.

He said:

“I thought it should have been a civil union. It would have given us the same benefits, the same rights under the law. Making it marriage was never the business of the government."
“I’m not saying I oppose just gay marriage. I oppose marriage by the government in general. To force that on society was a problem. That is why we’re still debating, right?"

Santos' claim that government involvement in marriage, even for opposite-sex couples, is problematic is an argument that conflicts with historical marriage practices and prevailing societal norms. He implied that the issue of marriage equality would not exist if it weren't for government intervention, disregarding the historical context and progression of LGBTQ+ rights in various states.

Santos' inconsistency is striking due to the fact that his marriage was legally sanctioned in New York after the state legalized same-sex marriage in 2011, refuting his claim that his union was not influenced by a court ruling.

Many have called out his hypocrisy in response.




Santos was expelled from the House of Representatives by a vote of 311–114, exceeding the necessary two-thirds majority, on December 1. He is the only Republican ever expelled from the House, and the only representative expelled without first being convicted of a federal crime or having supported the Confederacy during the Civil War.

A damning House Ethics Committee report revealed he spent thousands in campaign funds on a variety of non-campaign-related items, including OnlyFans, Botox, and trips to Atlantic City and the Hamptons. The report alleged Santos had committed "knowing and willful violations" of House financial disclosure rules and filed "false or incomplete reports" with the Federal Election Commission (FEC).

The 56-page report offered extensive evidence indicating Santos’ misuse of campaign funds for personal purposes, fraudulent activities toward donors, and submission of false or incomplete campaign finance and financial disclosure reports.

It further accuses Santos of exploiting his House candidacy for personal financial gain through a series of deceptive tactics, including lies about his background and experience to constituents, donors, and staff.

More from Trending

dog and cat snuggling together
Krista Mangulsone on Unsplash

Times Pet Owners 'Severely Underestimated' Their Pets' Intelligence

I've lived with cats—because no one owns a feline—most of my life. Some have been very clever creatures while others were real dingbats.

Family members have owned dogs whose talents also ran the gamut.

Keep ReadingShow less
Scott Bessent
Meet the Press/NBC News

Scott Bessent Blasted Over His Bonkers Suggestion For How To Bring Your Own Inflation Rate Down

Continuing to follow the example of MAGA Republican President Donald Trump, Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent appeared on Meet the Press Sunday to blame Democratic President Joe Biden for the financial downturn caused by Trump's tariff fiasco, then lied repeatedly about the state of the economy.

Meet the Press host Kristen Welker played a clip of MAGA Republican Vice President JD Vance telling a conservative audience at a Breitbart News event that Americans owe the Trump administration "a little bit of patience"—apparently while they figure out what tariffs are and how they work since they're rolling back more of them to lower consumer prices despite claiming Trump's tariffs don't affect consumer prices.

Keep ReadingShow less
Lindsay Lohan attends the men's final during day fifteen of the 2025 US Open Tennis Championships at USTA Billie Jean King National Tennis Center.
Elsa/Getty Images

Lindsay Lohan Is Now Sporting A New Accent—And Fans Aren't Sure What To Make Of It

In a twist freakier than a sequel to Freaky Friday, Lindsay Lohan has debuted yet another new accent—this time at the Fashion Trust Arabia Awards in Doha, Qatar.

Draped in a maroon, jewel-trimmed gown by The New Arrivals Ilkyaz Ozel and accompanied by her husband, Bader Shammas, and their 2-year-old son, Luai, the actress looked serene, elegant, and completely unbothered by the collective whiplash she was about to inflict on the internet.

Keep ReadingShow less
Jameela Jamil
Gilbert Flores/Variety/Getty Images

Jameela Jamil Speaks Out Against The Rise Of The 'Aesthetic Of Emaciation' Among Women In Hollywood

Content Warning: eating disorders, thinness as an aesthetic, emaciation in Hollywood

There's no denying that we've been gifted with some incredible music, television shows, and films this year.

Keep ReadingShow less
Donald Trump; Screenshot of Jackie Chan and Chris Tucker in "Rush Hour 2"
Andrew Caballero-Reynolds/AFP via Getty Images; New Line Cinema

Trump Is Now Using His Presidential Sway To Pressure Studio Into Making 'Rush Hour 4'—And, Huh?

President Trump has reportedly pressured Paramount head Larry Ellison to make another sequel to Rush Hour, his favorite buddy-cop movie, as the company looks to acquire Warner Bros. Discovery.

The first Rush Hour film, starring Jackie Chan and Chris Tucker, was released in 1998, received positive reviews, and made $245 million worldwide. Chan and Tucker returned for two sequels released in 2001 and 2007 respectively.

Keep ReadingShow less