Skip to content
Search AI Powered

Latest Stories

Sally Jessy Raphael Is Still Bitter About Her Talk Show's Cancellation—And She's Spilling The Tea

Sally Jessy Raphael Is Still Bitter About Her Talk Show's Cancellation—And She's Spilling The Tea
Ray Tamarra/GC Images/GettyImages

Former talk show host Sally Jessy Raphael is still not over her show's cancellation.

Many American audiences tuned in to watch The Sally Jessy Raphael Show–which was later shortened to Sally–since its first-run syndication that ran from October 17, 1983, to May 24, 2002.


Raphael's show was one of the first audience-participation talk shows led by a female host before The Oprah Winfrey Show three years later.

Wearing her signature red-framed glasses, she discussed a variety of topics ranging from light-hearted fare to hard-driven issues of the day.

The now 87-year-old reminisced about her time on daytime TV with Ricki Lake–who had a talk show of her own–on the Raised by Ricki podcast and did not hold back when it came to the abrupt ending of Sally.

"When it started, I talked to presidents of the United States [and did] interviews with celebrities," recalled Raphael, adding:

"But ownership of the program changed hands several times and once NBC Universal 'got a hold of it,' [it became a] 'Who's your baby mama?' type of show."
"That's when it all went downhill."

You can listen to a portion of the interview, here.


She said of the unceremonious cancellation of her show:

"Not only didn't I have a say, but let me tell you how bad this was."
"I had 250 employees ... and I told them, because I was told by the company ... we were going to be renewed and everything was fine."
"Then they called me in one day ... and told me ‘No, we’re not continuing the show. You’re off.’ I had to call the 250 people together ... and say, 'I'm terribly sorry."
"I don't know if you’ll believe me but I was lied to.' And that was the end of that."

@lemonadamedia/Instagram

Raphael never predicted that would also herald the ending of her career.

She has not worked since Sally ended in 2002.

@lemonadamedia/Instagram

Raphael said that after her firing, her agent sent her a vase with a message engraved on it that read:

"The best is yet to come."

However, the years following proved that would not be the case.

"If you look at my résumé, I haven't worked since then. Haven't earned a dime," she said, adding that her agents "never found one other job [for me] since 2002."

@lemonadamedia/Instagram



@lemonadamedia/Instagram

She remained determined in spite of the lull.

Between 2005 to 2008, Raphael hosted a daily radio show called Sally Jessy Raphael on Talknet online and in syndication to local a.m. radio stations in New England, the Mid-Atlantic, the Midwest, and at least one station in Arizona before abruptly cancelling the program on July 7, 2008.

She also touched on her grief after losing her husband Karl Soderlund, who was also Raphael's manager and the father to their son, Jason.

Raphael and Soderlund were married for 58 years until he died in 2020.

While she grieved for the last two years, she is looking ahead to the next romantic chapter in her life.

“I’ve been trying to find ... you can’t say a 'boyfriend' at my age. That sounds ridiculous," she said.

But it didn't take long for her to list exactly what she's looking for.

"I can tell you very quickly: 70s or 80s," she said.

"Not rich and not poor. An ordinary Joe."

More from Trending

Donald Trump
Kevin Dietsch/Getty Images

People Bring Receipts After White House Claims Photo Of Trump Asleep During Oval Office Event Was Just Him 'Blinking'

After President Donald Trump appeared to fall asleep during an event on maternal health in the Oval Office on Monday, people brought the receipts when an official White House account claimed he was simply "blinking."

The event was used to launch moms.gov, a new federal resource hub focused on prenatal care, nutrition, and postpartum support, along with information on employer fertility benefits and expanded childcare options, including assistance for stay-at-home parents.

Keep ReadingShow less
Dr. Mehmet Oz
Kevin Dietsch/Getty Images

Dr. Oz Just Made An Alarming Comment About Fertility Rates That Sounds Straight Out Of 'The Handmaid's Tale'

Dr. Mehmet Oz, President Donald Trump's administrator of the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services, made an alarming comment about fertility rates, declaring that 1 in 3 Americans are "under-babied."

In the United States, infertility affects roughly 9% of men and 11% of women, while globally the figure is estimated at about one in six people.

Keep ReadingShow less
Donald Trump Jr.; Donald Trump
Andrew Harnik/Getty Images; Mandel Ngan/AFP via Getty Images

Don Jr.'s Old Tweet Praising His Father For Avoiding War With Iran Just Resurfaced—And It's Aged Like Milk

As President Donald Trump's war with Iran rages on, his son Donald Trump Jr. is facing criticism after an old tweet he wrote praising his father for avoiding war with Iran resurfaced.

Back in April 2024, the president's eldest son wrote the following on X:

Keep ReadingShow less
Images of Savannah and Nancy Guthrie
@savannahguthrie/Instagram

Savannah Guthrie Shares Heartfelt Video Of Her Missing Mom On Mother's Day: 'We Miss You With Every Breath'

Today co-host Savannah Guthrie's mother, 84-year-old Nancy Guthrie, was declared missing on February 1, 2026, after she did not routinely arrive at church that morning, and a well-check confirmed that her home was empty and the door was left wide open.

Due to her need for multiple medications, including for her pacemaker, and her limited mobility, the Pima County Police Department deemed her case a high priority, soon welcoming the help of the FBI.

Keep ReadingShow less
Donald Trump; Robert Jeffress
Kevin Dietsch/Getty Images; Fox News

Trump Backs Pastor's Claim That He Has A 'Better Understanding' Of The Bible Than Pope Leo—And People Are Furious

On Saturday, MAGA Republican President Donald Trump chose to promote an interview with controversial anti-LGBTQ+ Baptist minister Robert Jeffress by posting a clip from Fox News on Truth Social. In the interview, Jeffress repeatedly stroked Trump's ego, flattering him incessantly.

A Fox News contributor, Jeffress was on to talk about Secretary of State Marco Rubio's visit to the Vatican to give Pope Leo XIV a crystal football.

Keep ReadingShow less