Skip to content
Search AI Powered

Latest Stories

Libertarian VP Nominee Weld Goes Rogue, Urges America to Reject Donald Trump

Libertarian VP Nominee Weld Goes Rogue, Urges America to Reject Donald Trump
(Boston, MA - 3/11/15) Former Gov. William Weld attends the Global Massachusetts 2024 luncheon at the Hyatt Regency Hotel, Wednesday, March 11, 2015. Staff photo by Angela Rowlings.

In a statement released Tuesday, William Weld, the Libertarian vice presidential nominee, broke with his running mate, Gary Johnson, and urged American voters to reject Donald Trump. Though the former Massachusetts governor and Republican stopped short of endorsing Hillary Clinton, he acknowledged that "the deck is still stacked" against his third-party bid, which has drawn low single digits in the polls, and will be unable to stop Trump outright. “Against that backdrop, I would like to address myself to all those in the electorate who remain torn between two so-called major party candidates whom they cannot enthusiastically support,” Weld said. "I’m speaking particularly to those Republicans who feel that our president should exhibit commonly accepted standards of decency and discipline."

“Gary and I will carry our message of fiscal responsibility, social inclusion, and smaller government through November 8, and I hope that this election cycle will secure for the Libertarian Party a permanent place in our national political dialogue...” Weld continued. "After careful observation and reflection, I have come to believe that Donald Trump, if elected President of the United States, would not be able to stand up to this pressure and this criticism without becoming unhinged and unable to perform competently the duties of his office."


A Trump presidency would be disastrous, warned Weld, because Trump is not "stable." For example, when Trump is challenged, "he often responds as a child might. He makes a sour face, he calls people by insulting names, he waves his arms, he impatiently interrupts. Most families would not allow their children to remain at the dinner table if they behaved as Mr. Trump does.”

Weld also expressed concern over Trump's controversial immigration proposals, which have become one of the cornerstones of his incendiary campaign. Trump's often violent rhetoric has "conjured up enemies" from the beginning, Weld said, and it represents "the worst of American politics." He posited that the "goal of the Trump campaign, from the outset, has been to stir up envy, resentment, and group hatred." He also criticized Trump for declining to commit to respecting the result of the election if he loses: "I fear for our cohesion as a nation, and for our place in the world, if this man who is unwilling to say he will abide by the result of our national election becomes our President.”

Earlier this month, Weld made headlines after he announced that his plan for the remainder of the election was to deny Trump the White House, a strategic pivot that will give the former Republican the opportunity to rebuild the GOP in the aftermath.

Critics questioned his loyalty to the Libertarians; at the time, Weld insisted he was not abandoning Johnson. But Trump's candidacy is an unparalleled threat that prompted him, he said, to step "out of the swirl of my campaign" and release a statement vigorously denouncing him: “Not in my lifetime… has there been a candidate for President who actually makes me fear for the ultimate well-being of the country, a candidate who might in fact put at risk the solid foundation of America that allows us to endure even ill-advised policies and the normal ebb and flow of politics."

Weld concluded his statement with a call for Americans to "be aware of the power and responsibility of each individual vote." This election cycle, he cautioned, is "not the time to cast a jocular or feel-good vote for a man whom you may have briefly found entertaining. Donald Trump should not, cannot, and must not be elected President of the United States.”

More from People/donald-trump

Alec Baldwin; Elon Musk; Lupita Nyong'o
John Nacion/FilmMagic; Harun Ozalp/Anadolu via Getty Images; Bruce Glikas/WireImage

Alec Baldwin Just Effortlessly Shut Down Elon Musk's Criticism Of Christopher Nolan Casting Lupito Nyong'o In 'The Odyssey'

Once again Hollywood decided to cast a Black woman in a movie and once again conservatives are having a temper tantrum about it—especially Elon Musk.

The far-right weirdo had a full crashout on X about Lupita Nyong'o's casting as Helen of Troy in Christopher Nolan's forthcoming The Odyssey adaptation, leading many to rake him over the coals.

Keep ReadingShow less
Javier Bardem; Donald Trump
Samir Hussein/WireImage; Kevin Dietsch/Getty Images

Javier Bardem Calls Out Trump's 'Male Toxic Behavior' In Fiery NSFW Rant—And He's Spot On

Oscar-winning actor Javier Bardem criticized President Donald Trump and other despotic world leaders at the Cannes Film Festival on Sunday, condemning the "male toxic behavior" they exhibit on a regular basis.

Bardem spoke while promoting director Rodrigo Sorogoyen's The Beloved, in which he stars as an acclaimed director forced to reckon with his distant relationship with his daughter. Bardem said the film is itself an exploration of toxic masculinity, namely “the bad education that we have received for many ages."

Keep ReadingShow less
Kimberly Guilfoyle
Nicolas Koutsokostas/NurPhoto via Getty Images

Kimberly Guilfoyle Gets Dragged Hard Over Her Ribbon-Cutting Ceremony In Greece For New McDonald's

U.S. Ambassador to Greece Kimberly Guilfoyle was widely mocked after gushing over a new McDonald's location at The Mall in Athens, referring to it as the "most technologically advanced McDonald's in all of Europe."

Guilfoyle took to social media with the following message, sharing photos from the ribbon-cutting ceremony:

Keep ReadingShow less
Screenshot of Eric Metaxas
@atrupar/X

Clip Of MAGA Speaker At Prayer Event Claiming God 'Raised Up' Trump To Build His Ballroom Is Peak MAGA

MAGA author and radio host Eric Metaxas was criticized after claiming that God "raised up" President Donald Trump after two centuries so he could build his new White House ballroom.

Last year, Trump ordered the demolition of the entire East Wing to make way for a 90,000 square-foot ballroom that will dwarf the size of the White House itself, sparking alarm from historical preservationists and the public alike.

Keep ReadingShow less
Pete Buttigieg; Sean Duffy
CNN; Eric Lee/Getty Images

Pete Buttigieg Perfectly Shames Sean Duffy Over His 'Road Trip' Reality Show With A Reminder Of His Own 'Taxpayer-Funded Road Trip'

On Friday, May 8, MAGA Republican President Donald Trump's Secretary of Transportation returned to his Fox News stomping grounds to announce a return to his reality TV roots with a five-part YouTube series. Duffy, who was a self-described party boy on MTV's Real World: Boston back in the 1990s, owes his name value to his time on reality TV.

Following his first stint in the Real World franchise, Duffy returned to compete on MTV Road Rules, later meeting his wife, Fox & Friends Weekend co-anchor Rachel Campos-Duffy—herself a notorious hard partier from Real World: San Francisco—on an installment of the program.

Keep ReadingShow less