Skip to content
Search AI Powered

Latest Stories

We Now Know Why Trump Is Really Helping a Chinese Cellphone Company That Had Previously Been Banned in the U.S.

We Now Know Why Trump Is Really Helping a Chinese Cellphone Company That Had Previously Been Banned in the U.S.
WASHINGTON, DC - MAY 14: U.S. President Donald Trump walks on the South Lawn of the White House before his departure to Walter Reed Medical Center on May 14, 2018 in Washington, DC. Trump is visiting first lady Melania Trump who is being treated for a kidney condition at the hospital. (Photo by Yuri Gripas-Pool/Getty Images)

It's called pay for play.

Confusion was in the air after President Donald Trump ordered a bailout for ZTE, a Chinese-government-owned cellphone maker.

The answer is simple: The president stands to profit from an Indonesian resort project that will get $500 million in Chinese loans in a deal sealed just 72 hours before his tweet ordering help for ZTE.


“President Xi of China, and I, are working together to give massive Chinese phone company, ZTE, a way to get back into business, fast,” Trump announced on Twitter Sunday morning. “Too many jobs in China lost. Commerce Department has been instructed to get it done!”

The president followed up with several more tweets, all of which stressed the importance of negotiating a trade deal which benefits both nations.

"China and the United States are working well together on trade, but past negotiations have been so one sided in favor of China, for so many years, that it is hard for them to make a deal that benefits both countries. the president wrote. He added: "But be cool, it will all work out!"

The president later defended his reversal, despite bipartisan concerns that ZTE poses a national security risk.

"ZTE, the large Chinese phone company, buys a big percentage of individual parts from U.S. companies," Trump tweeted yesterday. "This is also reflective of the larger trade deal we are negotiating with China and my personal relationship with President Xi."

Earlier this morning, he promised his followers that there would soon be more updates on trade negotiations.

"Trade negotiations are continuing with China. They have been making hundreds of billions of dollars a year from the U.S., for many years. Stay tuned!"

But the president never mentioned that last week, the developer of a theme park resort outside of Jakarta, Indonesia, had signed a deal to receive as much as $500 million in loans from the Chinese government. Nor did he mention that the Trump Organization has a deal to license the Trump name to the resort, which includes a golf course and several hotels.

The White House did not respond when pressed for comment on the “MNC Lido City” project or Trump's directive.

That’s not something that I can speak to,” said Deputy Press Secretary Raj Shah, who referred all questions about the project to the Trump Organization.

The Trump Organization, meanwhile, acknowledged its involvement in the resort, but would not answer questions about how much it would profit from its licensing or management fees.

The president also appeared to undermine his Commerce Secretary, Wilbur Ross, whom he directed to bail out ZTE, when he contradicted an answer Ross gave to the press about how the Department of Commerce would proceed with the president's instruction.

Ross, during an appearance at the National Press Club, said ZTE "did do some inappropriate things. They've admitted to that."

Those "inappropriate things"––which amounted to breaking its agreement to punish employees who violated US sanctions against North Korea and Iran––prompted the Trump administration earlier this year to prohibit ZTE from buying parts from American companies for seven years. Now, of course, the administration is seeking to reverse the penalty.

"The question is: Are there additional remedies to the one we had originally put forward?" Ross continued. "And that's the area we will be exploring very, very promptly." Referring to ZTE, he said: "Our position has been that's an enforcement action, separate from trade."

Hours later, however, the president tweeted that the bailout is indeed about trade.

No one in the Trump administration––least of all the president himself––has addressed the question of the Indonesian resort and the profit the Trump Organization will make from Chinese investment. Many took to social media to share their concerns.

"Every Dem candidate should press their opponent to answer: Do you agree w/Trump that US should help save jobs at Chinese phone company ZTE?" wrote Ronald Klain, a former White House official who served under the Obama administration.

"Trump wants to reopen Chinese Smartphone giant ZTE in order to save Chinese Jobs. Meanwhile, he ignores the fact that Flint, Michigan still doesn't have clean drinking water, and Puerto Rico still doesn't have power," wrote journalist Ed Krassenstein.

Kyle Griffin, the producer of MSNBC's "The Last Word" reminded his followers that "The heads of the NSA, FBI, and CIA are also concerned that ZTE may be using their technology to spy on U.S. consumers."

The president's move also earned a rebuke from a political watchdog group.

“This is stunning. They perpetually find new things to surprise me,” said Robert Weissman, who is the president of the open government advocacy group Public Citizen. "The idea of the president intervening in a law enforcement matter to satisfy a foreign government is extraordinary. And it’s extraordinary because it doesn’t happen. Opening that door threatens the integrity of all corporate law enforcement.”

More from People/donald-trump

Doug Bergum; Jared Huffman
Jim Watson/AFP via Getty Images; Bill Clark/CQ-Roll Call, Inc via Getty Images

Dem Rep. Hilariously Trolls Trump Official For Having No Idea How Solar Power Works In Viral Clip

Interior Secretary Doug Burgum was trolled by California Democratic Representative Jared Huffman after he, testifying before the House Natural Resources Committee, seemed to think solar panels are unreliable because they don't work when the sun goes down.

The sun produces heat and light through solar, or electromagnetic, radiation. Solar energy technologies capture that radiation and convert it into usable power. The two primary forms of solar technology are photovoltaics (PV) and concentrating solar-thermal power (CSP).

Keep ReadingShow less
Catherine O'Hara and Macaulay Culkin at the star ceremony, where he is honored for the Hollywood Walk of Fame.
FREDERIC J. BROWN/AFP via Getty Images

Macaulay Culkin Just Opened Up About The 'Unfinished Business' He Felt He Had With Catherine O'Hara—And We're Sobbing

More than three decades after they first starred together in Home Alone, Macaulay Culkin is opening up about the emotional bond he shared with Catherine O’Hara, and why her passing left him feeling like he “owed” her something more.

The former child star, now 45, discussed O’Hara’s recent passing with Gentleman’s Journal. O’Hara died on January 30 at age 71 from a pulmonary embolism linked to an underlying illness.

Keep ReadingShow less
Jason Collins
Maya Dehlin Spach/Getty Images

Tributes Pour In For First Out Pro Basketball Player Jason Collins After His Tragic Death At 47

The sports world lost a legend this week. And not just any legend: one who made history.

Jason Collins was the first openly gay active NBA player and the first openly gay professional athlete in any of the four major American sports leagues when he publicly came out in April 2013.

Keep ReadingShow less
Julia Louis-Dreyfus; Stephen Colbert
CBS

Julia Louis-Dreyfus Channeled Her 'Veep' Character To Epically Roast Stephen Colbert In Send-Off For The Ages

The Late Show with Stephen Colbert is set to air its final episode next Thursday, May 21.

The controversial cancellation will end Colbert's 11-year tenure at the late night desk, and end the Late Show franchise on CBS, which hit the airwaves in 1993 with host David Letterman—who shared his own message for the network over the cancellation.

Keep ReadingShow less
Melania Trump
Mandel Ngan/AFP via Getty Images

Kevin Hart Roast Writer Reveals Melania Joke That Got Cut—And It's Absolutely Savage

In an interview with Variety, writer Madison Sinclair revealed some of the jokes that got cut from Netflix's The Roast of Kevin Hart—including a joke about First Lady Melania Trump and MAGA comedian Tony Hinchcliffe that is as savage as it is nasty.

Hinchcliffe is best known for having called Puerto Rico "a floating island of garbage" during a Trump rally at New York City's Madison Square Garden in October 2024, just weeks before the election.

Keep ReadingShow less