Skip to content
Search AI Powered

Latest Stories

In Historic Shift, Defense Department Lifts Ban On Transgender Military Service Members

In Historic Shift, Defense Department Lifts Ban On Transgender Military Service Members

[DIGEST: New York Times, NBC]

In an historic shift in gender policy, Secretary of Defense Ashton Carter removed a ban on transgender individuals from serving openly in the armed forces on Thursday. All services will allow transgender individuals to enlist starting next year. The Department of Defense will distribute a commanders' training handbook and roll out medical protocol and guidance for changing a service member's gender in the Defense Eligibility Enrollment System by October. That month is also the deadline for all the services to provide medically appropriate care and treatment to transgender service members according to Department of Defense protocols.


Secretary Carter explained the reasoning behind the landmark decision. "This is the right thing to do for our people and for the force," Carter said. "We're talking about talented Americans who are serving with distinction or who want the opportunity to serve. We can't allow barriers unrelated to a person's qualifications prevent us from recruiting and retaining those who can best accomplish the mission."

Carter’s feelings on the transgender ban made headlines last year. “The Defense Department’s current regulations regarding transgender service members are outdated and are causing uncertainty that distracts commanders from our core missions,” he said at the time. Carter then ordered all military officials to begin examining the steps necessary to lift the ban altogether. Until today, many transgender service members kept their transgender status secret to avoid dishonorable discharge, a situation not unlike the one faced by gays, lesbians and bisexuals before the repeal of the “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell” ban in 2011.

Secretary of Defense Ashton Carter. Credit: Source.

Carter cited RAND Corporation estimates: The RAND study suggests the number of transgender individuals serving in the active duty component of the military is between 1,320 and 6,630 of a total 1.3 million troops. The study notes there are roughly 65 service members who seek a gender transition every year. RAND also found that the number of transgender service members “would likely be a small fraction of the total force and have minimal impact on readiness and health care costs.”

Secretary Carter’s decision is another hallmark in a year which has redefined American military policy. In December, the Defense Department announced it would open all combat roles to women. The Defense Department announced in April that 22 women are part of the first class of female members of the Army to be commissioned as infantry and armor officers. Most recently, the Senate approved a military policy bill that would require women to register in the event of a draft, drawing broad support from women in both political parties. In May, the Senate officially confirmed the nomination of Eric Fanning as the nation’s first openly gay Army Secretary.

More from News

Serena Williams; Coco Gauff
Michael Buckner/Variety/Getty Images; Robert Prange/Getty Images

Serena Williams Offers Cheeky Advice To Coco Gauff After She Smashed Her Racket Following Australian Open Loss

There's no better person to take advice from than someone who's gone through exactly what you're going through right now. Having four Olympic Gold medals might not hurt, either.

While participating in the Australian Open quarterfinals, tennis star Coco Gauff was moved to tears when she lost the competition to Elina Svitolina. But the cameras kept rolling after she stepped off the court, revealing that she smashed her tennis racket out of frustration once alone in the back halls of the athletic center.

Keep ReadingShow less
TikToker Romeo Bingham; Dr. Pepper
@romeosshow/TikTok; Beata Zawrzel/NurPhoto/Getty Images

People Are Floored After Dr. Pepper Actually Uses TikToker's Catchy Jingle In Commercial

Let's be real: You'll never get what you want if you don't shoot your shot.

That was what TikToker Romeo Bingham decided when she was bored and suddenly came up with the idea for a new jingle for Dr. Pepper.

Keep ReadingShow less
Jennifer Grey Shares Poignant Thoughts After 'Dirty Dancing' Sequel Is Set To Start Filming—And Fans Are Thrilled
Taylor Hill/FilmMagic; Getty Images

Jennifer Grey Shares Poignant Thoughts After 'Dirty Dancing' Sequel Is Set To Start Filming—And Fans Are Thrilled

In 1987, audiences had the time of their lives when Dirty Dancing hit theaters. Nearly 40 years later, that story is officially stepping back onto the dance floor.

Lionsgate announced Tuesday, January 27, that Jennifer Grey will reprise her role as Frances “Baby” Houseman in an upcoming Dirty Dancing sequel. The project will be produced by The Hunger Games and Crazy Rich Asians producers Nina Jacobson and Brad Simpson, with filming expected to begin later this year.

Keep ReadingShow less
TikTok logo
illustration by Cheng Xin/Getty Images

TikTok Now Claims A 'Power Outage' Is To Blame For The App's Massive Glitches—But The Internet Isn't So Sure

The new owners of U.S. TikTok—American investors to satisfy safety concerns about the app created by the Chinese technology company ByteDance—have an explanation for ongoing problems experienced by users beginning Sunday morning.

For context, MAGA Republican President Donald Trump infamously ranted about the app and vowed to permanently ban it from the United States during his first term in office.

Keep ReadingShow less
Screenshot of Megyn Kelly; Picture of Alex Pretti from memorial
The Megyn Kelly Show; Octavio Jones/AFP via Getty Images

Megyn Kelly Slammed After Boasting About Why She Doesn't 'Feel Sorry' For ICE Shooting Victim Alex Pretti

Right-wing talk show host Megyn Kelly was slammed after she shared her reasons for not feeling "sorry" for ICU nurse Alex Pretti, who was fatally shot by ICE agents over the weekend.

Calls for an investigation have intensified from across the political spectrum after analysis of multiple videos showed ICE officers removing a handgun from Pretti—a weapon that authorities said Pretti was permitted to carry but was not handling at the time—before fatally shooting him.

Keep ReadingShow less