Skip to content
Search AI Powered

Latest Stories

Father of Parkland Shooting Victim Just Had the Most Heartbreaking Response to Fox Host Who Called on People to Buy More AR-15s

Father of Parkland Shooting Victim Just Had the Most Heartbreaking Response to Fox Host Who Called on People to Buy More AR-15s
Credit: Kris Connor / Stringer via Getty Images, Fox News via @mmfa / Twitter

Moving words.

Make us preferred on Google

Fred Guttenberg, the father of slain Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School student Jaime Guttenberg, blasted Fox News host Peter Hegseth for encouraging viewers to stock up on AR-15s, the type of weapon used in the Parkland, Florida massacre last year.

“Such easy, loose rhetoric of the left,” Hegseth said Sunday. “If I own an AR-15, stocks of gun companies probably will go up after things like this. Responsible gun owners recognize their right to own rifles like that. You can use ‘weapons of war’ or ‘assault ban’ all you want.”


“This will appeal to his base: young people who are uninformed about the difference between an automatic and semiautomatic rifle," Hegseth continued. "But go out and get your second AR-15 today. Maybe it’s a good reason to do so.”

Guttenberg fired back on Monday with an emotional plea to gun enthusiasts like Hegseth to consider the danger posed by allowing civilians to own weapons that were previously outlawed in the United States.

"you miserable human being. My daughter was killed in school from a shooter who shot from across the hallway using his AR-15. Shot her in the back, severed her spinal cord, and killed her instantly along with 16 others. How dare you mock this and make a joke of her murder and other victims of AR-15 gun violence. Instead of joking that everyone should go out and buy an AR-15, how about acting responsibly and asking the question on how we can limit the real-life casualties. By the way, this is Jaime. She was killed by an AR-15."

The grieving father continues to tug on the heartstrings of people who want to end the senseless plague of gun violence in America.

Hegseth was responding to remarks by Democratic presidential candidate Beto O'Rourke, who over the weekend tried to appease both sides of the ongoing gun debate.

“Now if you own an AR-15, keep it. Continue to use it responsibly and safely," O'Rourke said Saturday, shortly after announcing his White House bid. "I just don’t think that we need to sell any more weapons of war into this public."

Some gun control advocates think are siding with Guttenberg entirely. They see no place in our society for weapons designed for one thing - mass, indiscriminate slaughter.

"This is deeply irresponsible of ," tweeted Igor Volsky, executive director at Guns Down. "*Nobody* needs an AR-15: not for hunting, not for sports shooting, not for anything. AR-15s are designed to kill as many people as efficiently as possible and they must be outlawed."

On the other hand, others focused more on O'Rourke's call to end the manufacture and sales of AR-15s, as a matter of practicality.

Hegseth's comments are especially callous given the events of last week. On Friday, a white supremacist terrorist—and self-described admirer of President Donald Trump as a "symbol of renewed white identity and common purpose"—murdered 50 people an injured 31 more at two New Zealand mosques.

In response,  New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern ordered an investigation into whether her government could have prevented the attack.

“The purpose of this inquiry is to look at what all relevant agencies knew — or could or should have known — about the individual and his activities, including his access to weapons,” Ardern said at a Monday press conference in Wellington.

Aldern also announced that her country will rewrite its gun laws within 10 days so that future violence can be averted.

"Within 10 days of this horrific act of terrorism, we will have announced reforms that I believe will have made our community safer," she said.

On top of that, the Associated Press reported on Monday that New Zealand's largest gun show has been canceled out of respect for the victims and their families, as well as “elevated security risks.”

It only took one shooting - the first in more than two decades thanks to strict gun control regulations - for New Zealand to act.

More from News

Pete Hegseth
Jim Watson/AFP via Getty Images

Pete Hegseth's Past Comments About Hygiene Resurface After He's Caught On Video Running His Snotty Hands Through His Hair

Remarks about not having washed his hands "in 10 years" resurfaced after Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth was caught on video wiping his nose with his hands before immediately running those same hands through his hair.

Hegseth was seen doing just that while listening to Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent deliver remarks. Footage went viral after it was shared by progressive journalist Aaron Rupar.

Keep ReadingShow less
John Hinckley Jr. (left) shares a new message for Jodie Foster (right) 45 years after the assassination attempt on President Ronald Reagan.
The Mark Joseph Show/YouTube; Gary Gershoff/WireImage

John Hinckley Jr. Shares New Message For Jodie Foster 45 Years After Shooting Ronald Reagan To Impress Her

Some Hollywood stories fade with time. The disturbing history connecting Jodie Foster and John Hinckley Jr. is not one of them. For those who don’t know, on March 30, 1981, Hinckley waited outside the Washington Hilton in Washington, D.C., where President Ronald Reagan had just addressed 5,000 members of the AFL-CIO.

As Reagan emerged from the hotel, Hinckley fired six shots from a revolver. One bullet ricocheted off Reagan’s limousine and struck him beneath his arm. White House Press Secretary James Brady, police officer Thomas Delahanty and Secret Service agent Timothy McCarthy were also wounded.

Keep ReadingShow less
Donald Trump; Scott MacFarlane
Jim Watson/AFP via Getty Images; CNN

Journalist Reveals Just How Much Money Has Been Diverted From National Parks For Trump's Vanity Projects—And People Are Livid

In a series of articles for MacFarlane News and MeidasTouch, videos, and an appearance on CNN, Chief Washington Correspondent for MeidasTouch Scott MacFarlane blew the whistle on MAGA Republican President Donald Trump’s raiding of National Park Service (NPS) funds. Aided by his Interior Secretary Doug Burgum, Trump diverted NPS money to pay for all of his White House and Washington D.C. vanity projects.

Trump’s hand-selected, mostly unwanted and unnecessary White House grounds and National Mall projects—things like a botched reflecting pool resurfacing, golden decor, a helipad, a ballroom, gilded statues, and giant flagpoles—alone took $423 million from major national parks across the country.

Keep ReadingShow less
Woman using hair tie
aire images/Getty Images

Engaged Woman Sparks Theories After Finding Strange Hair Tie Near Her And Fiancé's Home Entryway

Finding out that your partner is cheating doesn't always have to involve accidentally seeing a nefarious text message or walking in on the act. But sometimes, signs of what could be cheating might have a far stranger explanation.

Posting in the "Girl Dinner Diaries" subReddit, Redditor Jack-of-not posted a photo of an open-faced sandwich and explained what she'd discovered:

Keep ReadingShow less
Jenna Ortega
Esquire/X

Jenna Ortega Reveals Heartbreaking Reason She'd Go 'All Day' Without Eating Or Drinking On Set As Child Actor

During an interview with Esquire, Wednesday star Jenna Ortega admitted that she didn't recall any mistakes she made as a childhood star, and that might be the exact problem.

Though she's best-known now for her role in Wednesday, Beetlejuice Beetlejuice, and even Yes Day, Ortega's career began years before that when she lived out in the Coachella Desert.

Keep ReadingShow less