Skip to content
Search AI Powered

Latest Stories

Mom Enraged After Facebook Ad Uses Family Photo Without Permission To Claim They All Died Of Virus

Mom Enraged After Facebook Ad Uses Family Photo Without Permission To Claim They All Died Of Virus
CBS Los Angeles/YouTube
Make us preferred on Google

A mother from Orange County, California was infuriated after discovering that her family photo had been used for a face mask advertisement without her permission.

Sara Ancich and her family had taken a professional photo for a holiday card eight years ago.


Last week, the same photo appeared in an ad claiming that all members of the family except the youngest son had died from the global viral pandemic.

You can watch the news report of the misappropriated photo here.

Ancich told KCAL 9 news:

"Who would have the audacity to clearly not know a family and type that they had died?"
"It's on the forefront of everybody's mind in the news and everything and how quickly it is taking lives. It could so, so clearly be true to people."

The ad—which was taken down on Monday—erroneously stated that the family ignored social distancing guidelines and consequently contracted the virus after attending a church service with 176 people in the middle of the pandemic.

Interestingly, the footage used of the church interior was that of Westminster Abbey at an entirely different time.

You can clearly see in the ad Prince Charles and his wife, Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall attending the service.

CBS Los Angeles/YouTube

The accompanying text with Ancich's photo read:

"Youngest son from a family of 5 is the sole survivor from the deadly pandemic after wearing a CDC approved respirator."

An image of an unidentified smiling boy was depicted as the family member who "narrowly escaped death."

Ancich—whose youngest son is 16-year-old Ryan—said:

"The boy that supposedly portrayed our youngest son, we don't know who that boy is."

The ad is purportedly one of several on Facebook that are being investigated that have the same script featuring a "sole survivor" scenario using the "FilterMax" branding.

CNN was unable to determine which company was behind the ad, but found that numerous businesses used the name "FilterMax"—which describes the product as one that:

"deploys dual filtration valve technology with a 5-layer protection filter, which effectively blocks out 99.9% of bacteria, dust, smog, and pollen from entering your lungs."

Facebook clarified that the FilterMax ad did not run as paid distribution.

Many concerned friends and family members reached out to Ancich to find out if the story regarding her family was true.

Ancich said she hadn't posted the family portrait on social media for years.

But a reverse image Google search revealed the picture— taken by photographer Rich Lander—had been featured on his website and on Pinterest boards as an example of family Christmas photos.



She reported the video to Facebook, but it continued appearing in her feed.

"It was upsetting. It's violating. I don't know how I could have prevented this, or I would have."

Facebook said they are cracking down on businesses eliciting fear of the pandemic by removing all ads having to do with hand sanitizer, face masks, wipes and virus tests.

A spokesman for Facebook said:

"We apologize to the family impacted by the video."
"We also continue working to stop people from exploiting this crisis for financial gain by banning the sale of masks and other products that are linked to predatory behavior."

The book Legal Guide to Social Media: Rights and Risks for Businesses and Entrepreneurs is available here.

More from Trending

Donald Trump
Mandel Ngan/AFP via Getty Images

Trump Unveils Photo Of 'Newly Revamped' West Wing Entrance Makeover—And Critics Have Some Thoughts

President Donald Trump was criticized after sharing a picture of the latest update to the entrance of the White House West Wing that made the historic landmark look more like a signature Trump hotel.

The Oval Office has been significantly revamped since Trump took office in January 2025—it features, among other things, a fireplace adorned with gold cherubs and medallions, surrounded by portraits of American statesmen in ornate gold frames and shelves filled with gilded figurines, urns, and freshly installed Rococo mirrors.

Keep ReadingShow less
Nicolle Wallace; Marco Rubio and Donald Trump
MS NOW; Jakub Porzycki/NurPhoto via Getty Images

Nicolle Wallace Offers Hilariously Brutal Suggestion For 'Addled' Trump Amid 'Bizarre' NATO Press Conferences

MAGA Republican President Donald Trump has been participating in the NATO Summit in Ankara, Turkey, since Tuesday afternoon, but the visit has been anything but successful for the embattled POTUS.

Trump's appearances before the international press on hand for the summit have been rife with gaffes that have the domestic and international communities both amused and concerned over the 80-year-old's continued cognitive decline.

Keep ReadingShow less
Fashionista Rihanna attends the 2026 Met Gala, celebrating "Costume Art" at the Metropolitan Museum of Art.
Taylor Hill/Getty Images

Rihanna Applauded For Powerful Response To Cancer Patient Who Apologized For Looking 'Terrible' Without Wig

Rihanna’s latest viral moment has nothing to do with music, fashion, or beauty launches. Instead, fans say the singer helped someone shine bright “like a diamond” after reassuring a cancer patient who apologized for not wearing a wig during an unexpected meeting.

The nine-time Grammy winner, 38, made a fan’s day during a recent trip to a supermarket, where she posed for a photo and offered words of encouragement after learning the woman was living with cancer and feeling self-conscious about her appearance. The interaction appeared in Jason Lee’s video series, Jason Lee Unlocked: Grocery Shopping with Rihanna, released on Monday, July 6.

Keep ReadingShow less
Catherine Zeta-Jones; Bonnie Tyler
Monica Schipper/Getty Images; Christian Augustin/Getty Images

Catherine Zeta-Jones Pens Touching Tribute To Singer Bonnie Tyler After Death—And Fans Are Emotional

Bonnie Tyler, singer of "Total Eclipse of the Heart" and "Holding Out for a Hero," died on July 8, 2026, just a month after her 78th birthday.

She was in a hospital in Portugal, and she died unexpectedly from the illness she was being treated for.

Keep ReadingShow less
Screenshot of Rasmus Svaneborg; Mark Rutte
@atrupar/X; Altan Gocher / Hans Lucas / AFP via Getty Images

Reporter Puts NATO Secretary General On The Spot With Brutal 'Self-Respect' Question About Trump

NATO Secretary General Mark Rutte found himself on the spot after Danish reporter Rasmus Svaneborg questioned whether sitting silently beside President Donald Trump as he discusses "conquering" Greenland and criticizing allies has impacted his "self-respect."

Rutte, a former Dutch prime minister, has been forced to manage Trump's repeated criticism of NATO while contending with his public insistence that the United States should acquire Greenland from Denmark.

Keep ReadingShow less