Skip to content
Search AI Powered

Latest Stories

Canadian Leader Trolls Trump's Statehood Offer With A Brilliant 'Counteroffer' Of His Own

Doug Ford; Donald Trump
Vince Talotta/Toronto Star via Getty Images; Scott Olson/Getty Images

Ontario Premier Doug Ford shut down Trump's offer to make Canada part of the United States before jokingly making a "counteroffer" to instead buy a few states instead.

Ontario Premier Doug Ford shut down President-elect Donald Trump's bizarre threat to make Canada part of the United States before jokingly making a "counteroffer" to buy a few states instead.

Ford's response is the latest development since Trump made headlines for jabbing Prime Minister Justin Trudeau with remarks about Canadian statehood.


Trump, who first brought up the idea during a November meeting with Trudeau at Mar-a-Lago over Trump's threat to impose 25% tariffs on Canada and Mexico because of their alleged failures to curb the flow of illegal immigrants and illicit drugs into the U.S., has since inflamed tensions by referring to Trudeau as the governor of the “great state of Canada."

Trump also said he would use "economic force" instead of "military force" to annex the country, saying:

“You get rid of the artificially drawn line and you take a look at what that looks like and it would also be much better national security. Don’t forget: We basically protect Canada." ...
"You get rid of that artificially drawn line, and you take a look at what that looks like, and it would also be much better for national security. Canada and the United States, that would really be something."

In response to Trump's remarks about annexing Canada, Ford gave the following snarky response:

"We have the greatest country in the world [and] we have the greatest province anywhere. This sovereign nation is Ontario and the rest of the provinces as well."
“You know something, to the president, I’ll make him a counteroffer. How about if we buy Alaska, and we’ll throw in Minnesota and Minneapolis at the same time?"
"It’s not realistic. I know he likes making these comments and he likes joking around. I take that seriously. Under my watch, that will never, ever happen."

Unlike Trump, Ford was quick to note that he himself was joking, noting that "We’re proud Canadians just like Americans are proud."

You can hear what he said in the video below.

Many appreciated Ford's response and joined him in mocking Trump.



Trump has not backed down and earlier made the bogus claim in a post on Truth Social that “Many people in Canada LOVE being the 51st State," adding that the U.S. "can no longer suffer the massive Trade Deficits and Subsidies that Canada needs to stay afloat. Justin Trudeau knew this, and resigned.”

Trump's words came after Trudeau announced his resignation, stating he would remain in office until the governing Liberal Party selects a new leader, a process expected to conclude by late March. Canada's Parliament has been prorogued, or temporarily suspended, until March 24 to allow time for the leadership race.

His assertion that Canadians "LOVE being the 51st State" isn't based in reality and is likely based at least in part on "unofficial polling" aired on Fox News that "more than 70%" of Canadians might be open to an arrangement where Canada merges economically with the U.S. while maintaining its sovereignty.

However, more formal polling from Canadian market research firm Leger paints a different picture. In a survey conducted earlier this month, only 13% of Canadians expressed interest in the idea of Canada becoming the 51st U.S. state, while 82% were opposed to the notion.

More from News/political-news

Alec Baldwin; Elon Musk; Lupita Nyong'o
John Nacion/FilmMagic; Harun Ozalp/Anadolu via Getty Images; Bruce Glikas/WireImage

Alec Baldwin Just Effortlessly Shut Down Elon Musk's Criticism Of Christopher Nolan Casting Lupito Nyong'o In 'The Odyssey'

Once again Hollywood decided to cast a Black woman in a movie and once again conservatives are having a temper tantrum about it—especially Elon Musk.

The far-right weirdo had a full crashout on X about Lupita Nyong'o's casting as Helen of Troy in Christopher Nolan's forthcoming The Odyssey adaptation, leading many to rake him over the coals.

Keep ReadingShow less
Javier Bardem; Donald Trump
Samir Hussein/WireImage; Kevin Dietsch/Getty Images

Javier Bardem Calls Out Trump's 'Male Toxic Behavior' In Fiery NSFW Rant—And He's Spot On

Oscar-winning actor Javier Bardem criticized President Donald Trump and other despotic world leaders at the Cannes Film Festival on Sunday, condemning the "male toxic behavior" they exhibit on a regular basis.

Bardem spoke while promoting director Rodrigo Sorogoyen's The Beloved, in which he stars as an acclaimed director forced to reckon with his distant relationship with his daughter. Bardem said the film is itself an exploration of toxic masculinity, namely “the bad education that we have received for many ages."

Keep ReadingShow less
Kimberly Guilfoyle
Nicolas Koutsokostas/NurPhoto via Getty Images

Kimberly Guilfoyle Gets Dragged Hard Over Her Ribbon-Cutting Ceremony In Greece For New McDonald's

U.S. Ambassador to Greece Kimberly Guilfoyle was widely mocked after gushing over a new McDonald's location at The Mall in Athens, referring to it as the "most technologically advanced McDonald's in all of Europe."

Guilfoyle took to social media with the following message, sharing photos from the ribbon-cutting ceremony:

Keep ReadingShow less
Screenshot of Eric Metaxas
@atrupar/X

Clip Of MAGA Speaker At Prayer Event Claiming God 'Raised Up' Trump To Build His Ballroom Is Peak MAGA

MAGA author and radio host Eric Metaxas was criticized after claiming that God "raised up" President Donald Trump after two centuries so he could build his new White House ballroom.

Last year, Trump ordered the demolition of the entire East Wing to make way for a 90,000 square-foot ballroom that will dwarf the size of the White House itself, sparking alarm from historical preservationists and the public alike.

Keep ReadingShow less
Pete Buttigieg; Sean Duffy
CNN; Eric Lee/Getty Images

Pete Buttigieg Perfectly Shames Sean Duffy Over His 'Road Trip' Reality Show With A Reminder Of His Own 'Taxpayer-Funded Road Trip'

On Friday, May 8, MAGA Republican President Donald Trump's Secretary of Transportation returned to his Fox News stomping grounds to announce a return to his reality TV roots with a five-part YouTube series. Duffy, who was a self-described party boy on MTV's Real World: Boston back in the 1990s, owes his name value to his time on reality TV.

Following his first stint in the Real World franchise, Duffy returned to compete on MTV Road Rules, later meeting his wife, Fox & Friends Weekend co-anchor Rachel Campos-Duffy—herself a notorious hard partier from Real World: San Francisco—on an installment of the program.

Keep ReadingShow less