Skip to content
Search AI Powered

Latest Stories

Fox News Host Swiftly Fact-Checked After Spouting Blatant Lie About Spanish Flu School Closures

Fox News screenshot of Harris Faulkner
Fox News

Harris Faulkner claimed schools didn't close during the 1918-19 Spanish Flu pandemic in an attempt to slam COVID-19 school closures—except that isn't true at all.

Fox News personality Harris Faulkner faced backlash after making a historically inaccurate claim regarding school closures during pandemics.

In her primetime monologue, Faulkner attempted to draw a parallel between the COVID-19 pandemic and the 1918-19 influenza pandemic, suggesting that schools did not close during the latter. However, her claim was debunked by historical records and research, leading to accusations of revisionist history.


Faulkner praised the exceptionalism of America and made references to D-Day, highlighting the "bravery" and "sacrifice" of Americans.

She then shifted the focus to the COVID-19 pandemic and criticized the decisions made regarding school closures. In an attempt to contrast the actions taken during the 1918-19 influenza pandemic, Faulkner wrongly claimed that schools remained open during that time.

You can hear what Faulkner said in the video below.

Faulkner said:

“You know, we didn’t actually close schools in 1918 during the Spanish flu pandemic. We didn’t even have penicillin back then."
"We did sacrifice. We suffered, but then we pressed on. Our enemies hate us for surviving, but they would love to be like us.”

Faulkner's claim was swiftly debunked by historical evidence.

A simple internet search reveals that, in fact, schools were closed during the 1918-19 influenza pandemic. A PBS NewsHour column from July 2020 highlights that the majority of public schools were closed for extended periods ranging from weeks to months.

Moreover, a working paper published by the National Bureau of Economic Research in December 2020 titled "School Closures During the 1918 Flu Pandemic" confirms that schools did, in fact, close during that time, although for fewer days on average compared to the closures seen during the COVID-19 pandemic.

Faulkner's lie was immediately called out.








Faulkner has been on a roll lately with her lying.

Earlier this week, she was criticized after she claimed people of (Christian) faith are facing persecution for saying grace in restaurants, a statement many deemed an attempt to manufacture outrage over a non-issue.

Faulkner urged viewers to be "bold" in their faith and openly pray in public spaces before sharing a personal anecdote in which she alleged she was kicked out of an establishment because her server and the restaurant manager witnessed her praying over her meal.

There is no evidence to support Faulkner's claims.

More from Trending

Alec Baldwin; Elon Musk; Lupita Nyong'o
John Nacion/FilmMagic; Harun Ozalp/Anadolu via Getty Images; Bruce Glikas/WireImage

Alec Baldwin Just Effortlessly Shut Down Elon Musk's Criticism Of Christopher Nolan Casting Lupito Nyong'o In 'The Odyssey'

Once again Hollywood decided to cast a Black woman in a movie and once again conservatives are having a temper tantrum about it—especially Elon Musk.

The far-right weirdo had a full crashout on X about Lupita Nyong'o's casting as Helen of Troy in Christopher Nolan's forthcoming The Odyssey adaptation, leading many to rake him over the coals.

Keep ReadingShow less
Javier Bardem; Donald Trump
Samir Hussein/WireImage; Kevin Dietsch/Getty Images

Javier Bardem Calls Out Trump's 'Male Toxic Behavior' In Fiery NSFW Rant—And He's Spot On

Oscar-winning actor Javier Bardem criticized President Donald Trump and other despotic world leaders at the Cannes Film Festival on Sunday, condemning the "male toxic behavior" they exhibit on a regular basis.

Bardem spoke while promoting director Rodrigo Sorogoyen's The Beloved, in which he stars as an acclaimed director forced to reckon with his distant relationship with his daughter. Bardem said the film is itself an exploration of toxic masculinity, namely “the bad education that we have received for many ages."

Keep ReadingShow less
Kimberly Guilfoyle
Nicolas Koutsokostas/NurPhoto via Getty Images

Kimberly Guilfoyle Gets Dragged Hard Over Her Ribbon-Cutting Ceremony In Greece For New McDonald's

U.S. Ambassador to Greece Kimberly Guilfoyle was widely mocked after gushing over a new McDonald's location at The Mall in Athens, referring to it as the "most technologically advanced McDonald's in all of Europe."

Guilfoyle took to social media with the following message, sharing photos from the ribbon-cutting ceremony:

Keep ReadingShow less
Screenshot of Eric Metaxas
@atrupar/X

Clip Of MAGA Speaker At Prayer Event Claiming God 'Raised Up' Trump To Build His Ballroom Is Peak MAGA

MAGA author and radio host Eric Metaxas was criticized after claiming that God "raised up" President Donald Trump after two centuries so he could build his new White House ballroom.

Last year, Trump ordered the demolition of the entire East Wing to make way for a 90,000 square-foot ballroom that will dwarf the size of the White House itself, sparking alarm from historical preservationists and the public alike.

Keep ReadingShow less
Pete Buttigieg; Sean Duffy
CNN; Eric Lee/Getty Images

Pete Buttigieg Perfectly Shames Sean Duffy Over His 'Road Trip' Reality Show With A Reminder Of His Own 'Taxpayer-Funded Road Trip'

On Friday, May 8, MAGA Republican President Donald Trump's Secretary of Transportation returned to his Fox News stomping grounds to announce a return to his reality TV roots with a five-part YouTube series. Duffy, who was a self-described party boy on MTV's Real World: Boston back in the 1990s, owes his name value to his time on reality TV.

Following his first stint in the Real World franchise, Duffy returned to compete on MTV Road Rules, later meeting his wife, Fox & Friends Weekend co-anchor Rachel Campos-Duffy—herself a notorious hard partier from Real World: San Francisco—on an installment of the program.

Keep ReadingShow less