Scientists have recently developed a way for artificial intelligence to read your personality
Yes, with this new technology AI can detect four of the Big Five personality traits: conscientiousness, extroversion, agreeableness, and neuroticism. As of now, it can not detect the fifth trait, openness.
This development was made when the University of South Australia and the University of Stuttgart joined together to produce a study that monitored 42 participants. In the study, AI tracked and monitored the participants' eye movements and compared their observations with well-established questionnaires.
According to Frontiers in Human Neuroscience, the most important findings include the movement of the eye between fixed points, how often participants looked into specific areas of their visual field, variance in pupil diameter, and blink rate.
- Curious: look around more
- Open-minded: stare at abstract images for longer periods of time
- Neurotic: blink faster
- Open to new experiences: move their eyes from side-to-side more
- More conscientiousness: have greater pupil size changes
- Optimistic: spend less time looking at negative emotional things compared to people who are pessimistic
As fascinating as people find personality tests, the ultimate goal of the study is to improve human-machine interactions.
The possible applications of this new technology could be endless.
Some are skeptical.
And not everyone is sure they like its potential.