Skip to content
Search AI Powered

Latest Stories

Capitol Rioter Who Broke Into Senator's Office Told FBI He Thought He'd Visited A 'Gift Shop'

Capitol Rioter Who Broke Into Senator's Office Told FBI He Thought He'd Visited A 'Gift Shop'
FBI

Court filings in the case of Brian Stenz, a Capitol rioter due to be sentenced later this month for the role he played during the attack, reveal he did not tell the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) he had entered the office of Oregon Democratic Senator Jeff Merkley, claiming instead he had visited a "gift shop."

Stenz attended the “Stop the Steal” MAGA rally in Washington, D.C. with a friend on January 6, 2021. The two men joined rioters who marched to the United States Capitol, later entering the building and walking around for about eight minutes.


Stenz took several photos at the time, including an image of a bookshelf inside Merkley's office which had been ransacked and a selfie of him and his friend in the crypt.

FBI

According to a sentencing memorandum filed Thursday by the U.S. Attorney for the District of Columbia, Stenz told the FBI he had posed for a photo atop a police motorbike parked outside the Capitol but said “he went into a place that appeared to be a gift shop" omitting the fact he had entered Merkley's office.

The memorandum states Stenz, who lives in East Norriton, Pennsylvania, knowingly lied to the FBI despite a "significant criminal history," noting he "engaged in this conduct" despite facing charges in Pennsylvania at the time of his interview. Those charges related to falsified documents for a firearm purchase.

The news of Stenz's conduct exposed him to considerable mockery online.



The government suggested that Stenz receive a 14-day sentence followed by 36 months of probation, 60 hours of community service, and $500 in restitution.

Stenz had faced charges that he knowingly entering a restricted building, disorderly and disruptive conduct, violent entry, and parading. He ultimately pleaded guilty in November 2021 to one count of parading, demonstrating or picketing in a Capitol building, a charge that carries a six-month maximum prison sentence and a fine up to $5,000.

Stenz is only the latest Capitol rioter who has made headlines for behavior exposed in court filings.

In December 2021, attorneys for Buffalo, New York resident Thomas Sibick asked a federal judge to relieve him from a 24-hour lockdown at his parents' home so he can use dating apps and "interact with members of the opposite gender for the purpose of establishing a friendship.”

Similarly, other rioters have been mocked for displaying entitled behavior.

Also in December 2021, Jenna Ryan, a Frisco, Texas real estate agent who flew to D.C. on a private jet to attend the "Stop the Steal" rally, attracted widespread derision for vowing to devote her prison time to losing weight by doing yoga and drinking protein shakes.

More from Trending

Reverend Jesse Jackson leads children in his empowering “I Am Somebody” chant during a 1972 appearance on Sesame Street.
Courtesy of PBS

'Sesame Street' Shares Sweet Throwback Clip Of Late Rev. Jesse Jackson Empowering Kids With 'I Am Somebody' Chant

Reverend Jesse Jackson’s iconic “I Am Somebody” declaration once again resonated with audiences of all ages when Sesame Street revisited a 1972 episode featuring the civil rights leader reciting the poem with young viewers.

In the clip, a 31-year-old Jackson stands on the show’s familiar brownstone stoop, his Afro softly rounded beneath the studio lights. He wears a purple, white, and black striped shirt and a gold medallion bearing a high-relief profile of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., a tribute resting squarely over his heart.

Keep ReadingShow less
Screenshots of Robert F. Kennedy Jr. and Kid Rock working out
@SecKennedy/X

RFK Jr. Posts Bonkers Video Working Out Shirtless In Jeans With Kid Rock—And The Internet Can't

Health and Human Services (HHS) Secretary Robert F. Kennedy Jr. had people rolling their eyes after he shared his new "Rock Out Work Out" video promoting the Make America Healthy Again (MAGA) movement that features him and far-right singer Kid Rock working out shirtless and hanging out together.

At one point during the oddball video, the two men are shown drinking whole milk in a pool, a decision that follows the release of new federal dietary guidelines under the Trump administration that encourage consumption of full-fat dairy. Kennedy has even previously shared a video of himself drinking a glass of whole milk as a flex, footage that was amplified by the White House.

Keep ReadingShow less

U.S. Figure Skater Amber Glenn Had The Best Response After Getting Surprise Video Message From Madonna

Team USA's Amber Glenn skated an incredible, gold-winning short program to Madonna's "Like a Prayer" at the 2026 Olympics.

Glenn performed a seemingly flawless program, perfectly blending personal style and expected technique through her combinations, corkscrews, and interacting with the crowd.

Keep ReadingShow less
Screenshot of Woody Harrelson; Donald Trump
@implausibleblog/X; Anna Moneymaker/Getty Images

Woody Harrelson Says What We're All Thinking About 'Son Of A B*tch' Trump In Resurfaced Red Carpet Interview

Actor Woody Harrelson referred to President Donald Trump as a "son of a b*tch" during the first Trump administration, and those remarks have resurfaced as Trump faces more and more criticism from high-profile figures amid the nationwide immigration crackdown and human rights abuses committed by ICE.

Harrelson is a self-described anarchist who previously backed Health and Human Services (HHS) Secretary Robert F. Kennedy's independent bid for the presidency. But he isn't necessarily a fan of Trump's, as evidenced by prior remarks he made that resurfaced on Reddit.

Keep ReadingShow less
Mehcad Brooks (left) and James Van Der Beek (right) are pictured prior to Van Der Beek’s death in February 2026.
Kristina Bumphrey/Variety via Getty Images; Kevin Winter/Getty Images

Close Friend Of James Van Der Beek Slams Critics Of His Family's GoFundMe In Scathing Post

When critics began questioning why a GoFundMe had been launched for James Van Der Beek’s family, actor Mehcad Brooks came ready with a response.

Van Der Beek died February 11 at age 48 following a battle with stage 3 colorectal cancer. In the days after his death, a GoFundMe page organized by family friends was created to support his wife, Kimberly Van Der Beek, and their six children, who organizers said were facing “an uncertain future.”

Keep ReadingShow less