Skip to content
Search AI Powered

Latest Stories

Texas GOP Congressional Candidate Throws Son Under The Bus For 2016 Anti-Trump Facebook Post

Texas GOP Congressional Candidate Throws Son Under The Bus For 2016 Anti-Trump Facebook Post
Ed Cabrera for South Texas/Facebook

A Texas GOP candidate for Congress is in hot water after blaming his teenage son for a statement against former Republican President Donald Trump posted to his Facebook page in 2016.

Republican Ed Cabrera, a businessman and rancher, is campaigning to unseat incumbent Democrat Henry Cuellar in Texas' 28th Congressional District on an explictly pro-Trump platform centered on finishing the "Trump border wall" at the southern border between the U.S. and Mexico.


But when the resurfaced Facebook post, which mocked both Trump and the border wall, seemed to paint Cabrera as a fraud who has only recently embraced Trumpism for convenience's sake, he simply chalked it up to a "practical joke" by his son.

Many Texans aren't buying it.

The since-deleted Facebook post from February 2016 included a photograph of the Mexican consulate in New York—where Cabrera's United States-born son was undergoing the process of becoming a dual citizen of Mexico—along with the message:

"Better to be a Mexican than to be a citizen of a country that elects Trump as President. Don't pay for the wall, arriba Mejico!"

Cabrera's campaign now claims that it was a prank Cabrera's son played on him.

They told The Texas Tribune:

"The social media post was a practical joke by Mr. Cabrera's son to mock Mr. Cabrera's strong support of President Trump. It was posted when Mr. Cabrera gave his son his phone to take a picture."

But as The Texas Tribune also discovered, Cabrera's campaign's story doesn't exactly add up.

The supposed "practical joke" had been live on Cabrera's Facebook page for five years and was only deleted upon the launch of his Congressional campaign last year.

Suffice to say, many people in Texas aren't convinced.

But after he threw his son under the bus, they're definitely seeing the parallels between Cabrera and Trump.


Others couldn't help but see a resemblance to a certain other politician.

Texas Republican Senator Ted Cruz similarly blamed his scandal in which he fled for Mexico in the midst of a deadly Texas winter storm on his daughters.



Despite the thinly veiled attempt at covering up his hypocrisy, Cabrera's campaign isn't letting up on casting him as the Trump voter's best candidate in the 28th district, telling the Tribune there is "no candidate more like President Trump in this race."

More from People/donald-trump

Alec Baldwin; Elon Musk; Lupita Nyong'o
John Nacion/FilmMagic; Harun Ozalp/Anadolu via Getty Images; Bruce Glikas/WireImage

Alec Baldwin Just Effortlessly Shut Down Elon Musk's Criticism Of Christopher Nolan Casting Lupito Nyong'o In 'The Odyssey'

Once again Hollywood decided to cast a Black woman in a movie and once again conservatives are having a temper tantrum about it—especially Elon Musk.

The far-right weirdo had a full crashout on X about Lupita Nyong'o's casting as Helen of Troy in Christopher Nolan's forthcoming The Odyssey adaptation, leading many to rake him over the coals.

Keep ReadingShow less
Javier Bardem; Donald Trump
Samir Hussein/WireImage; Kevin Dietsch/Getty Images

Javier Bardem Calls Out Trump's 'Male Toxic Behavior' In Fiery NSFW Rant—And He's Spot On

Oscar-winning actor Javier Bardem criticized President Donald Trump and other despotic world leaders at the Cannes Film Festival on Sunday, condemning the "male toxic behavior" they exhibit on a regular basis.

Bardem spoke while promoting director Rodrigo Sorogoyen's The Beloved, in which he stars as an acclaimed director forced to reckon with his distant relationship with his daughter. Bardem said the film is itself an exploration of toxic masculinity, namely “the bad education that we have received for many ages."

Keep ReadingShow less
Kimberly Guilfoyle
Nicolas Koutsokostas/NurPhoto via Getty Images

Kimberly Guilfoyle Gets Dragged Hard Over Her Ribbon-Cutting Ceremony In Greece For New McDonald's

U.S. Ambassador to Greece Kimberly Guilfoyle was widely mocked after gushing over a new McDonald's location at The Mall in Athens, referring to it as the "most technologically advanced McDonald's in all of Europe."

Guilfoyle took to social media with the following message, sharing photos from the ribbon-cutting ceremony:

Keep ReadingShow less
Screenshot of Eric Metaxas
@atrupar/X

Clip Of MAGA Speaker At Prayer Event Claiming God 'Raised Up' Trump To Build His Ballroom Is Peak MAGA

MAGA author and radio host Eric Metaxas was criticized after claiming that God "raised up" President Donald Trump after two centuries so he could build his new White House ballroom.

Last year, Trump ordered the demolition of the entire East Wing to make way for a 90,000 square-foot ballroom that will dwarf the size of the White House itself, sparking alarm from historical preservationists and the public alike.

Keep ReadingShow less
Pete Buttigieg; Sean Duffy
CNN; Eric Lee/Getty Images

Pete Buttigieg Perfectly Shames Sean Duffy Over His 'Road Trip' Reality Show With A Reminder Of His Own 'Taxpayer-Funded Road Trip'

On Friday, May 8, MAGA Republican President Donald Trump's Secretary of Transportation returned to his Fox News stomping grounds to announce a return to his reality TV roots with a five-part YouTube series. Duffy, who was a self-described party boy on MTV's Real World: Boston back in the 1990s, owes his name value to his time on reality TV.

Following his first stint in the Real World franchise, Duffy returned to compete on MTV Road Rules, later meeting his wife, Fox & Friends Weekend co-anchor Rachel Campos-Duffy—herself a notorious hard partier from Real World: San Francisco—on an installment of the program.

Keep ReadingShow less