Skip to content
Search AI Powered

Latest Stories

Trump Instantly Throws JD Vance Under The Bus When Asked If Vance Is His 'Successor'

Screenshot of Donald Trump; J.D. Vance
Fox News; Paul Morigi/Getty Images

During a Fox News interview, Donald Trump immediately shot down the notion that Vice President JD Vance is his "successor" to run in 2028.

Things are getting a little awkward for Vice President J.D. Vance after President Donald Trump immediately shot down the notion that Vance would be his "successor" to run in 2028.

In an interview with Fox News' Bret Baier, Trump replied quickly when asked if he views Vance as his "successor" and the presumptive Republican nominee for the 2028 presidential election:


"No."

But to be fair, Trump elaborated, insisting:

"But he's very capable. I think you have a lot of very capable people. So far, I think he's doing a fantastic job. It's too early, we're just starting."

When Baier pointed out that "by the time we get to the midterms, [Vance] will be looking for an endorsement," Trump dodged the question entirely:

"A lot of people have said that this has been the greatest opening, almost three weeks, in the history of the presidency. We've done so much so fast and we've really had to because what they've done to our country is so sad. We're going to be bigger and better and stronger than ever before."

You can hear what he said in the video below.

Vance is widely regarded as a potential future presidential candidate following his elevation to the vice presidency by Trump last year—but not all Republicans are fully on board with him.

Notably, Vance's favorability ratings on the campaign trail were initially low. While they have improved over time, he remains 2.6 points underwater, according to FiveThirtyEight’s aggregate polling.

Vance's past criticism of Trump continues to linger, despite his later pivot to becoming a staunch supporter and key ally in 2022.

Critics have drawn attention to Vance's previous identity as a "Never Trumper" who once described Trump as "America's Hitler" and "cultural heroin" unable to regard the needs of the working class.

In 2016, Vance frequently criticized Trump in interviews tied to his bestselling memoir, Hillbilly Elegy, which had positioned him as a notable voice on rural America and Trump’s ascent in politics. He argued that the then-Republican presidential nominee offered empty promises that wouldn’t address the problems plaguing communities like his hometown in Ohio.

Additionally, he referred to Trump as an “idiot” in tweets that have since been deleted. During an August 2016 NPR interview, he mentioned that he might consider voting for Democratic nominee Hillary Clinton if he believed Trump had a chance of winning.

Prior to his Senate campaign, Vance apologized for previously calling Trump “reprehensible," telling CNN in 2021 that "I regret being wrong about the guy" while declaring that Trump was a good president.

Trump himself is a sucker for flattery and Vance's prior remarks appeared not to bother him when he and Vance appeared on Fox News for a joint interview during which he shared the real reason he picked Vance as his running mate:

“We’ve always had a good chemistry. And originally, JD was probably not for me but he didn’t know me. And then, when we got to know each other, he liked me, maybe more than anybody liked me. And he would stick up for me and he’d fight for the worker as much as I fight for the worker.”
“We just had an automatic chemistry."

Trump's blunt rejection of Vance went viral and the message was pretty clear: All that sucking up only to get tossed under the bus.


He has installed himself as a king and he does have an heir and a spare…sorry JD, you’re not in the line of succession.
— cheddargram.bsky.social (@cheddargram.bsky.social) February 10, 2025 at 6:24 PM


That “NO” was fast and hard. JD has zero chance.
— lolitab4.bsky.social (@lolitab4.bsky.social) February 10, 2025 at 4:18 PM


Narcissists get very uncomfortable when forced to consider a world that continues after them.
— CleverNickname23 (@clevernickname23.bsky.social) February 10, 2025 at 4:03 PM


The ego of this guy is off the charts lol He can't even give a simple endorsement to his vice president
— fat garfield (@fatgarfield.bsky.social) February 11, 2025 at 10:10 AM


On another level, Trump's remarks may hint that he doesn't intend to leave office at all.

Three days after Trump was sworn in for his second term, Representative Andy Ogles of Tennessee introduced a constitutional amendment to allow presidents to run for a third term, something that is currently prohibited by the Constitution.

While the Constitution prevents him from seeking a third term, Trump, at the start of his second week back in office, once again suggested that presidential term limits might be open to negotiation while addressing House Republicans at their annual retreat in Florida.

At the time, he said:

“I’ve raised a lot of money for the next race that I assume I can’t use for myself, but I’m not 100 percent sure because I don’t know. I think I’m not allowed to run again. I’m not sure. Am I allowed to run again?”

Since then, he has repeatedly floated the idea; the New York Times noted that in public, Trump "couches the notion of staying in office beyond two terms as a humorous aside." But in private, he has told advisers that it’s just one of many tactics he uses to capture attention and provoke Democrats, according to people familiar with his comments.

More from News/political-news

Robert F. Kennedy Jr.
Saul Loeb/AFP via Getty Images

Viral Clip Of RFK Jr.'s Disturbingly Labored Breathing During Senate Hearing Has The Internet Horrified

Health and Human Services (HHS) Secretary Robert F. Kennedy Jr. had viewers recoiling due to his noticeably labored breathing while testifying before the Senate Finance Committee on Wednesday morning.

Kennedy appeared before federal lawmakers in a series of hearings, where he pushed back on criticism over measles outbreaks and declining vaccination rates while promoting initiatives he said would make health care more affordable.

Keep ReadingShow less
Gavin Newsom; RFK Jr.; Donald Trump
Tayfun Coskun/Anadolu via Getty Images; Heather Diehl/Getty Images; Anna Moneymaker/Getty Images

Gavin Newsom Epically Rips RFK Jr. For Claiming Trump Has A 'Different Way' Of Doing Math In Bonkers Clip

Health and Human Services (HHS) Secretary Robert F. Kennedy Jr. was called out by California Governor Gavin Newsom after Kennedy attempted to defend President Donald Trump's claims that drug prices have been cut by "600%."

Kennedy appeared before federal lawmakers in a series of hearings, where he pushed back on criticism over measles outbreaks and declining vaccination rates while promoting initiatives he said would make health care more affordable.

Keep ReadingShow less
Nikki Glaser (left) discusses Leonardo DiCaprio (right) sending her pasta after her Golden Globes roast.
The Tonight Show with Jimmy Fallon/YouTube; Jeff Kravitz/FilmMagic

Nikki Glaser Reveals The Hilarious Gift Leonardo DiCaprio Sent Her After She Roasted Him At The Golden Globes

During an appearance on The Tonight Show, comedian Nikki Glaser offered a long-awaited update on the aftermath of her Golden Globes roast—specifically, how Leonardo DiCaprio responded.

For those who don’t remember, Glaser pulled out a surprisingly deep cut, joking that the only real insight into DiCaprio’s personal life comes from a 1991 Teen Beat article.

Keep ReadingShow less
Houston police officer giving racist rant
KHOU 11/YouTube

Houston Cop Relieved Of Duty After Video Of Her Truly Vile Rant About Black People Surfaces

A Houston police officer has been forced to turn in her weapon and badge after posting a racist rant on Instagram.

Officer Ashely Gonzalez posted a profanity and slur-filled video in which she used the N-word several times to complain about Black people in the community she serves.

Keep ReadingShow less
Mariah Carey
Wang Zhao/AFP via Getty Images

Mariah Carey Has Iconically Unbothered Reaction After She's Snubbed By Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame For Third Year In A Row

The 2026 Rock & Roll Hall of Fame induction ceremony is scheduled for November 14 in Los Angeles, California. Each year, a new batch of inductees are announced, and each year fans ask why their favorite artist didn't make it or why another artist did.

Seventeen individuals and groups were on this year's list of nominees.

Keep ReadingShow less