Skip to content
Search AI Powered

Latest Stories

Washington High School Principal Apologizes For 'Tasteless' Facebook Post Suggesting Kobe Bryant Deserved To Die

Washington High School Principal Apologizes For 'Tasteless' Facebook Post Suggesting Kobe Bryant Deserved To Die
KGW News/YouTube, Lisa Blumenfeld/Getty Images

A school principal in Washington State expressed remorse and apologized for suggesting that Kobe Bryant's death was deserved.

Bryant died in a helicopter crash that also took the lives of eight other people, including three children.

Camas High School Principal Liza Sejkora is now on administrative leave for an inflammatory statement about the late NBA star player.


In a now-deleted Facebook post, Sejkora wrote:

"Not gonna lie. Seems to me that karma caught up with a rapist today."

It was followed by a shrug emoji.

The school principal said she had a "visceral reaction" upon hearing about Bryant's death.

She said the post had been up for about an hour before she considered taking it down. But by then screenshots had been taken and circulating around the internet.

Here is a screenshot of the deleted Facebook post.

@KingLoganSav/Twitter



On January 26, the retired Lakers star was killed in a helicopter crash outside of Los Angeles, along with seven other passengers and the pilot.


Sejkora's comment about karma was in reference to a Colorado court case from 2003 in which a 19-year-old hotel employee in Edwards, Colorado, accused Bryant of rape.

Bryant maintained his innocence. When his accuser refused to testify, prosecutors dropped the felony sexual assault charge in 2005.

Bryant settled a civil lawsuit with the woman for an undisclosed amount.


After removing her post, Sejkora—who had been the Principal at Camas High School since 2017—wrote a followup, saying:

"You are free to judge me for the post just as I am free to judge the person the post was about."

You can watch the KGW News report here.

youtu.be

She told KGW News:

"In an educational institution, we hope that students learn that you make mistakes you own it, you learn from it and move on. That's how we grow as humans. I am hoping to model that I messed up pretty big here."
"I want to earn their trust back, I want to earn my community's trust back. I want people to trust that they're sending their students to Camas high school and not have it be tarnished with a bad decision I made."


Students were shocked and expressed it, including Camas High Senior student Adam Hoteit.

"It's just really insensitive. There's no real position for her to say that. Especially when she's in such a place of power that she is right now."
"She represents the school and that's how everyone's gonna see this town and this school."

Dorian Dahdli, also a senior, added:

"Saying things, you should watch what you post because you know you might get backfire and that's what happened in this situation. It just backfired pretty hard."

On Tuesday, Sejkora spoke to reporters outside the school about not practicing what is preached.

"As a career educator, the only adult job I've ever had for 22 years, we try to teach kids to think before they act, think before they speak, think before they post."
"I clearly didn't in this situation."
"I heard reports that Kobe Bryant had passed, just a visceral reaction to it. Posted quickly before I had any additional information."

On Monday, Sejkora sent an email to parents of the students explaining that her emotions impaired her judgement.

"You may be aware that a copy of a social media post I made on my personal Facebook page is circulating digitally in our community. Today, I apologized to my staff, and now I apologize to you."
"On January 26 after news broke Kobe Bryant's death, I made a comment to my private social media which was a personal, visceral reaction."

"I want to apologize for suggesting that a person's death is deserved. It was inappropriate and tasteless. Further, I apologize for the disruption it caused to our learning environment today."

"In education, we remind students to think before they post online, especially when feelings are inflamed. We also teach our students about context. My emotions and past experiences got the best of me in that moment. We also teach our students that what we share online has permanency."


She added:

"While what I wrote was posted on a private Facebook account to people who are my friends and was quickly removed, I acknowledge that private does not always mean private."
"I love being principal at Camas High School. We have tremendous students, staff, and community. I've learned an important lesson and I hope that I can earn your trust back."

According to students at Camas High, regaining that trust will take some time.

More from Trending

puzzle
ALAN DE LA CRUZ on Unsplash

The Creepiest Displays Of Intelligence People Ever Witnessed In Real Life

Have you ever heard someone referred to as being "scary smart."

It usually doesn't mean they're actually terrifying, just that their knowledge or abilities are unusual.

Keep ReadingShow less
Jennifer Garner
Axelle/Bauer-Griffin/FilmMagic/Getty Images; @jennifer.garner/Instagram

Jennifer Garner Just Pitched A New Sport For The Winter Olympics—And Fans Are Into It

The Summer and Winter Olympics are already pretty great, but Jennifer Garner believes the Winter Olympics could use one more sport to make it perfect.

While passing through Central Park, Jennifer Garner came across a group of women who were sledding down a shallow hill on none other than small, silver baking sheets.

Keep ReadingShow less
Elis Lundholm
IOC via Getty Images

NBC Apologizes After Commentators Repeatedly Misgendered Trans Winter Olympic Skier

The International Olympic Committee is still trying to figure out what their position on transgender inclusion looks like and how decisions are made regarding which events athletes compete in. In the 2024 Paris Summer Olympics, Filipino boxer Hergie Bacyadan, a transgender man, had to compete in the women’s event because of their stage in their transition.

In the Milano Cortina Winter Olympics this year, per International Ski Federation regulations, Swedish moguls skier Elis Lundholm also has to compete in the women’s moguls event because he hasn't begun a masculinizing hormone replacement therapy regimen yet.

Keep ReadingShow less
Screenshots of Jessica Tarlov and Jesse Watters
Fox News

Fox News Host Gives Jesse Watters Blunt Reality Check After Stranger Called Him A 'Fascist'

Fox News personality Jesse Watters got a brutal reality check from his colleague Jessica Tarlov when he shared a story live on The Five about his bewilderment after a stranger shouted "F.U. fascist!" at him while he was walking his dog in his neighborhood.

Watters previously lived in a Manhattan rental and currently lives in a $2.8 million mansion in Bernardsville, New Jersey—where at least one neighbor is not a fan of his.

Keep ReadingShow less
Mark Alford; Bad Bunny
Patrick T. Fallon/AFP via Getty Images

MAGA Rep. Blasted After Saying Republicans Are Now 'Investigating' Bad Bunny's Halftime Show

In an interview with Real America's Voice, Missouri Republican Representative Mark Alford said House Republicans are now "investigating" rapper Bad Bunny's Super Bowl halftime show, claiming it "could be much worse than the Janet Jackson wardrobe malfunction" for the Federal Communications Commission (FCC).

The Super Bowl XXXVIII halftime show, which was broadcast live on February 1, 2004, featured singers Justin Timberlake and Jackson. The show is infamous for the moment Timberlake exposed Jackson's breast for a moment.

Keep ReadingShow less