Skip to content
Search AI Powered

Latest Stories

To "Deter Movement" at Border, Homeland Security Wants to Leverage the Kids

To "Deter Movement" at Border, Homeland Security Wants to Leverage the Kids
John Kelly speaks with Wolf Blitzer. (CNN)

The Department of Homeland Security is considering separating children from their parents at the border, DHS Secretary John Kelly said Monday. The move is part of a broader effort to deter the exploitation of children and to discourage families from making the trek from Mexico across the U.S. border. Currently, families contesting deportation or applying for asylum are generally released from detention quickly, and able to stay in the country, pending disposition of their cases.

"We have tremendous experience of dealing with unaccompanied minors," Kelly told CNN's Wolf Blitzer on The Situation Room. "We turn them over to [Health and Human Services] and they do a very, very good job of putting them in foster care or linking them up with parents or family members in the United States... Yes I'm considering [that], in order to deter more movement along this terribly dangerous network. I am considering exactly that. They will be well cared for as we deal with their parents. ... It's more important to me, Wolf, to try to keep people off of this awful network."


Earlier this week, a senior DHS official confirmed to CNN that the Department would consider implementing the policy. "We are trying to find ways to deter the use of children in illegal immigration," he said at the time. "We are seeing kids essentially kidnapped and used to get here and stay." Children are being exploited in numerous ways, the official added, citing parents taking them on dangerous journeys and smugglers and non-parents who claim the children as their own in bids to enter and stay in the United States.

In a statement to CNN, DHS spokesman David Lapan expressed similar concerns, saying the agency "continually explores options that may discourage those from even beginning the journey." The "journey north is a dangerous one," he said, "with too many situations where children -- brought by parents, relatives or smugglers -- are often exploited, abused or may even lose their lives."

The statement received a harsh rebuke from Representative Henry Cuellar (D-Texas) whose district includes about 200 miles of the U.S.-Mexico border. "Bottom line: separating mothers and children is wrong," he said. "That type of thing is where we depart from border security and get into violating human rights."

According to Leon Fresco, who led the Office of Immigration Ligation under President Barack Obama, the previous administration considered, but ultimately rejected, the move. "It was never implemented because the idea was that it was too detrimental to the safety of the children to separate them from their parents, and the thinking was it was always preferable to detain the family as a unit or release the family as the unit," Fresco said.

Fresco added that the ruling in Flores v. Lynch also factored into the administration's decision. The United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit ruled that detaining children violated a long-standing agreement that bars the government from detaining children in a jail-like setting, even if they are accompanied by their parents. Immigration officials apprehended 54,000 children and their guardians between Oct. 1, 2016, and Jan. 31, 2017, more than double the number caught over the same time period a year earlier, according to one report.

More from News

Alec Baldwin; Elon Musk; Lupita Nyong'o
John Nacion/FilmMagic; Harun Ozalp/Anadolu via Getty Images; Bruce Glikas/WireImage

Alec Baldwin Just Effortlessly Shut Down Elon Musk's Criticism Of Christopher Nolan Casting Lupito Nyong'o In 'The Odyssey'

Once again Hollywood decided to cast a Black woman in a movie and once again conservatives are having a temper tantrum about it—especially Elon Musk.

The far-right weirdo had a full crashout on X about Lupita Nyong'o's casting as Helen of Troy in Christopher Nolan's forthcoming The Odyssey adaptation, leading many to rake him over the coals.

Keep ReadingShow less
Javier Bardem; Donald Trump
Samir Hussein/WireImage; Kevin Dietsch/Getty Images

Javier Bardem Calls Out Trump's 'Male Toxic Behavior' In Fiery NSFW Rant—And He's Spot On

Oscar-winning actor Javier Bardem criticized President Donald Trump and other despotic world leaders at the Cannes Film Festival on Sunday, condemning the "male toxic behavior" they exhibit on a regular basis.

Bardem spoke while promoting director Rodrigo Sorogoyen's The Beloved, in which he stars as an acclaimed director forced to reckon with his distant relationship with his daughter. Bardem said the film is itself an exploration of toxic masculinity, namely “the bad education that we have received for many ages."

Keep ReadingShow less
Kimberly Guilfoyle
Nicolas Koutsokostas/NurPhoto via Getty Images

Kimberly Guilfoyle Gets Dragged Hard Over Her Ribbon-Cutting Ceremony In Greece For New McDonald's

U.S. Ambassador to Greece Kimberly Guilfoyle was widely mocked after gushing over a new McDonald's location at The Mall in Athens, referring to it as the "most technologically advanced McDonald's in all of Europe."

Guilfoyle took to social media with the following message, sharing photos from the ribbon-cutting ceremony:

Keep ReadingShow less
Screenshot of Eric Metaxas
@atrupar/X

Clip Of MAGA Speaker At Prayer Event Claiming God 'Raised Up' Trump To Build His Ballroom Is Peak MAGA

MAGA author and radio host Eric Metaxas was criticized after claiming that God "raised up" President Donald Trump after two centuries so he could build his new White House ballroom.

Last year, Trump ordered the demolition of the entire East Wing to make way for a 90,000 square-foot ballroom that will dwarf the size of the White House itself, sparking alarm from historical preservationists and the public alike.

Keep ReadingShow less
Pete Buttigieg; Sean Duffy
CNN; Eric Lee/Getty Images

Pete Buttigieg Perfectly Shames Sean Duffy Over His 'Road Trip' Reality Show With A Reminder Of His Own 'Taxpayer-Funded Road Trip'

On Friday, May 8, MAGA Republican President Donald Trump's Secretary of Transportation returned to his Fox News stomping grounds to announce a return to his reality TV roots with a five-part YouTube series. Duffy, who was a self-described party boy on MTV's Real World: Boston back in the 1990s, owes his name value to his time on reality TV.

Following his first stint in the Real World franchise, Duffy returned to compete on MTV Road Rules, later meeting his wife, Fox & Friends Weekend co-anchor Rachel Campos-Duffy—herself a notorious hard partier from Real World: San Francisco—on an installment of the program.

Keep ReadingShow less