Skip to content
Search AI Powered

Latest Stories

The Department of Defense Just Contradicted Donald Trump's Explanation for Why He Canceled the Military Parade

The Department of Defense Just Contradicted Donald Trump's Explanation for Why He Canceled the Military Parade
WASHINGTON, DC - AUGUST 1 : President Donald J. Trump speaks during a meeting with inner city pastors in the Cabinet Room at the White House on Wednesday, Aug 01, 2018 in Washington, DC. (Photo by Jabin Botsford/The Washington Post via Getty Images)

His story is not holding up.

Make us preferred on Google

President Donald Trump has long made it clear that he would like to see a military parade in Washington, and the White House was planning one for Veterans Day of this year until Donald Trump announced he was canceling the event.

His reason: cost overruns, blaming "local politicians":


But turns out, according to Defense Department spokesman Colonel Rob Manning, that's not the case after all.

Manning told reporters at the Pentagon this week:

“The president was not briefed by any member of the Department of Defense on any cost associated with the parade."

It had been reported that the parade would cost an estimated $92 million to organize, well above the initial $12 million estimate.

Naturally, the Defense Department's statements have opened up the president to criticism, and he was derided as a liar.

The $92 million price tag for the event leaked to the media on Thursday, but Secretary of Defense James Mattis disputed it, telling reporters that whoever gave out that cost estimate is “an idiot."

Colonel Manning on Thursday said that he could not confirm the $92 million amount, as “the planning had not reached that level.” and he had not been briefed on figures.

“Any figure that was cited was predecisional. The planning committee for the parade had not reached a point where they have briefed senior leadership in the department. It was moving forward, it had just not matured to that point,” Manning said at the time.

Manning repeated what the Pentagon said on Thursday: That the Pentagon will now “explore opportunities in 2019” to hold the parade.

“We are now going to look at providing options that will go up to the president for a decision for 2019,” he said.

The White House, through Office of Management and Budget director Mick Mulvaney, claimed over the weekend that plans for a military parade were canceled for other reasons besides the cost of the event, but would not specify other “contributing factors.”

On Sunday, Mulvaney told Fox News that he was not in the room when the decision was made to cancel the parade, but noted that he would have been had the parade been canceled “purely for fiscal reasons.”

"If the parade had been canceled purely for fiscal reasons, I imagine I would have been in the room when that was made, and I wasn’t,” he said. “So my guess is there were other contributing factors.”

Mulvaney also sided with Trump's suggestion that local Washington politicians, such as Washington Mayor Muriel Bowser, played a hand in the event's cancelation. He said he thinks Bowser “seems like a nice lady” but that the Washington D.C. City Council does not have the president's best interest at heart.

"This is a city that voted 70 or 80 percent against the president,” Mulvaney said. “So I think maybe the City Council of Washington, D.C., is not trying to help the president accomplish what he wants to accomplish shouldn’t be news to anybody.”

“If the $20 million you just mentioned is a number... that’s a number that I’m not familiar with,” he continued. “The numbers that I saw from the city were much higher than that.”

More from People/donald-trump

Ashley Callingbull
@corrinaaligned/Instagram

Former Miss Universe Canada Praised After Calling Out Contestants' Costumes For Cultural Appropriation On Live TV

Ashley Callingbull, Canada's 2024 Miss Universe contestant, made history that year when she became the first First Nations competitor to win the pageant.

Now, she's using that platform to call out other contestants for cultural appropriation in their pageant appearances.

Keep ReadingShow less
screenshots from videos of ICE agent and Carolina Molina
@tinyandstrongthings/Instagram; CNN/TikTok

ICE Agent Points Gun In Virginia Woman's Face And Claims She Tried To 'Run Us Over'—But Her Video Tells A Different Story

On August 10, Carolina Molina was driving to immigration lawyers' offices in Falls Church, Virginia, to drop off business cards. A licensed counselor, Molina offers services for immigrants who may be dealing with trauma.

Seeing Department of Homeland Security's Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) agents patrolling around the immigration law offices, Molina admitted to rolling down her window and yelling at ICE as they were abducting two men, calling the agents "ho" and "bitch." Molina said the agents took offense, used their vehicles to box in her car, brandished a gun, and threatened her.

Keep ReadingShow less
Jadon MacCormack
Jadon E. MacCormack/Facebook

MAGA Candidate Who Wants To Execute All LGBTQ+ People Declares Himself 'True Winner' Of GOP Primary Despite Losing Badly

Connecticut State House candidate Jadon MacCormack recently made headlines for calling for the execution of all LGBTQ+ people, and now he's insisting he's the "true winner" of his state's Republican primary despite suffering a humiliating defeat.

MacCormack suffered a decisive defeat in the Republican primary, receiving just 90 votes, or 19.6% of the 458 votes cast. Anthony Emilio won with 80.4% and will face five-term Democratic incumbent Pat Boyd in November.

Keep ReadingShow less
Marco Rubio
Eric Lee/Getty Images

Marco Rubio Just Tried To Claim That 'American Citizenship Is Not For Sale'—And Everyone Had The Same Response

Secretary of State Marco Rubio was called out after trying to claim on X that "American citizenship is not for sale," even though the Trump administration offers a route toward citizenship in exchange for a large financial contribution.

Birthright citizenship is a legal concept that grants citizenship automatically at birth. It exists in two forms: ancestry-based citizenship and birthplace-based citizenship. The latter, known as jus soli, a Latin term meaning "right of the soil," grants citizenship based on the location of birth.

Keep ReadingShow less
Pete Hegseth
Jim Watson/AFP via Getty Images

Pete Hegseth's Past Comments About Hygiene Resurface After He's Caught On Video Running His Snotty Hands Through His Hair

Remarks about not having washed his hands "in 10 years" resurfaced after Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth was caught on video wiping his nose with his hands before immediately running those same hands through his hair.

Hegseth was seen doing just that while listening to Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent deliver remarks. Footage went viral after it was shared by progressive journalist Aaron Rupar.

Keep ReadingShow less