Skip to content
Search AI Powered

Latest Stories

Stephen King Puts Warner Bros. On Blast For Shelving Completed 'Salem's Lot' Remake

Stephen King
Rick Kern/WireImage/Getty Images

The horror icon took to X, formerly Twitter, to question the studio's decision not to release a 'quite good' remake of 'Salem's Lot' that was once planned for theatrical release in 2022.

Horror icon Stephen King has raised concerns over the delayed release of Warner Bros.' new film adaptation of his 1975 horror novel, 'Salem's Lot.

'Salem's Lot follows Ben Mears, a writer who revisits the town of Jerusalem's Lot (or 'Salem's Lot) in Maine. Ben spent his childhood there, residing from the ages of five through nine. Upon his return, he discovers that the town's inhabitants are undergoing a transformation into vampires.


The latest adaptation, directed and written by Gary Dauberman, boasts a talented cast, including Makenzie Leigh, Bill Camp, Pilou Asbaek, Alfre Woodard, and William Sadler. Previous adaptations of King's novel include a two-part CBS miniseries in 1979 starring the late David Soul and a TNT limited series in 2004 starring Rob Lowe.

The film was initially set for a theatrical release in September 2022 but has yet to hit the screens in 2024.

Taking to X, formerly Twitter, King expressed his confusion about why the studio is holding back the movie, despite his positive feedback:

"Between you and me, Twitter, I've seen the new SALEM'S LOT and it's quite good. Old-school horror filmmaking: slow build, big payoff."
"Not sure why WB is holding it back; not like it's embarrassing, or anything. Who knows. I just write the f**king things."

You can see King's post below.

Screenshot of Stephen King's post on X @StephenKing/X

Others have also criticized the studio and joined the acclaimed author's call for the film's release.


Last year, King reported that the new adaptation was "currently shelved" but described it as "muscular and involving" with a cinematic feel reminiscent of "Old Hollywood."

His statements followed an article in Variety featuring quotes from inside sources who said the film would likely be streamed on Max, Warner Bros. Discovery's streaming platform.

While the move is attributed to the recent SAG-AFTRA strike, insiders emphasize that it doesn't reflect the film's quality. The strike has created a heightened demand for content on Max, and Salem's Lot is among several Warner Bros. films being considered for this transition.

A Warner Bros. spokesperson clarified, stating that no decision has been finalized regarding the film's distribution plans.

Originally slated for a September 2022 release, the movie, which was shot in Massachusetts in 2021, faced delays due to COVID-related postproduction issues. Despite being moved to spring 2023, it later disappeared from the schedule, sparking speculation it would be a tax write-off similar to 2022's Batgirl.

More from Entertainment/tv-and-movies

Screenshot of Lisa and Dr. Mehmet Oz
The Katie Miller Podcast

Dr. Oz Accidentally Tells The Truth About The Trump Administration's Gaslighting—And Yeah, That Tracks

Speaking on the podcast of former Trump administration official Katie Miller, Dr. Mehmet Oz, Trump's administrator of the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services, accidentally told the truth about the administration's gaslighting of the American public.

Oz admitted that people "might not like us" but then had a Freudian slip that says all you need to know about an administration that is called out on a daily basis for openly lying and obfuscating.

Keep Reading Show less
Karoline Leavitt
Saul Loeb/AFP via Getty Images

Karoline Leavitt Gets Awkward Reminder After Claiming Anything On Truth Social Is 'Directly From President Trump'

During the Wednesday press briefing, White House Press Secretary Karoline Leavitt directly contradicted her boss, MAGA Republican President Donald Trump.

Leavitt told the White House press corps:

Keep Reading Show less
Keke Palmer attends the 8th Annual American Black Film Festival Honors at SLS Hotel.
Savion Washington/WireImage via Getty Images

Keke Palmer Explains Why She's 'Almost 100% Sure' She's Asexual In Candid Post—And Fans Are Here For Her

Keke Palmer had the internet talking after revealing she is “almost 100 percent sure” that she’s asexual. The Emmy-winning actress shared the revelation in a sultry Valentine’s Day Instagram post featuring a chic pixie cut, a champagne-toned halter corset top, a thin gold necklace, and stud earrings.

But while the photos turned heads, it was her caption that sparked the conversation.

Keep Reading Show less
Reese's Peanut Butter Cups; Brad Reese's Open Letter to Todd Scott
Julia Ewan/TWP/Getty Images; Brad Reese/LinkedIn

Grandson Of Reese's Founder Shames Hershey Co. For 'Replacing' Candy's Iconic Ingredients In Powerful Open Letter

Brad Reese, the grandson of H.B. Reese, who invented Reese's Peanut Butter Cups, is now speaking up about the quality of the product and his grandfather's original promise: real peanut butter and real milk chocolate.

When H.B. Reese invented the deliciously simple candy, he pointed out that using real ingredients wasn't a marketing tactic for him; it was a promise to the consumer that they knew what they were eating, and that what they were eating was real food.

Keep Reading Show less
Elon Musk
Harun Ozalp/Anadolu via Getty Images

X User Asks What The First Thing You'd Do If You 'Wake Up As Elon Musk'—And Everyone Had The Same Idea

Billionaire Elon Musk was widely mocked on his own platform after X user @buffys opened a veritable Pandora's box by asking what people would do if they woke up as him one day.

The question was simple:

Keep Reading Show less