Skip to content
Search AI Powered

Latest Stories

Kate Winslet Says Producers Used To Call Her Agent To Check On Her Weight When She Was Younger

Kate Winslet
Joe Maher/Getty Images

The Oscar-winning actor told the 'Sunday Times' about the body-shaming she was subjected to early on in her career.

Actress Kate Winslet recalled a time earlier in her career when her agent would receive calls from producers asking them to check on her weight.

She was also advised to settle for "fat girl" roles while she was an aspiring actress studying theater.


The Academy Award-winning actress known for her roles in Titanic (1997) and Sense and Sensibility (1995) told the Sunday Times:

“When I was younger my agent would get calls saying, ‘How’s her weight?'"

In addition to being body-shamed in the tabloids, she was also ridiculed early in her career by celebrities like the late comic legend Joan Rivers who once claimed:

"If Kate Winslet had dropped a few pounds, the Titanic would never have sunk."

Winslet—who also won an Emmy award and a SAG Award for Best Actress in a miniseries for HBO Max's Mare of Easttown (2021)—said she eventually was able to move on from worrying about her weight, and was more concerned:

“about being that actor who moves their face and has a body that jiggles.”

She went on to discuss having a hard time dealing with what tabloids used to say about her weight.

"It was hard enough having the flipping 'News of the World' on my doorstep, but that doesn’t even cut it now."
"That phrase about ‘today’s news being tomorrow’s fish and chip paper’ doesn’t exist."


She also touched on how the way she was judged back then is different from what women face on social media today.

Said Winslet of online engagement:

"It can be extremely negative. People are subject to scrutiny that is more than a young, vulnerable person can cope with."


Winslet cautioned up-and-coming actors to be mindful of any erratic behavior as it could catch up to them.

“The thing you did when you were drunk or foolish? It may come back to haunt you."
"Needing to be on one’s guard for young actors is just a different thing. It must be extraordinarily hard.”

But she is happy to see how things have slowly started to improve in the industry and referenced her 22-year-old daughter as an example.

"It's heartwarming that this has started to change."
"My daughter's generation has an ability to speak for themselves. They have already learned that they will be heard."
"Obviously not in every situation, but they know how to use their voice — especially young women. That's striking to me."
"When I was younger you spoke when spoken to. That is not the case now."
"Young women are stronger. And they're prouder of their bodies."

Winslet recently reunited with her Academy Award-winning Titanic director James Cameron after 25 years for Avatar: The Way of Water.

She said her experience working with Cameron again was "absolutely amazing."

Speaking to Deadline during the Avatar sequel's premiere on the red carpet, Winslet said of the famed director:

“He’s so good at pulling the actors together and letting them figure it out."
“If something doesn’t work, he’ll say, ‘OK, let’s do something else.’ And so, that sense of collaboration was amazing and actually, I think probably more so than I had anticipated.”

The official U.S. release date for Avatar: The Way of Water is December 16, 2022.

More from Entertainment/celebrities

Elon Musk Just Revealed His New Net Worth Goal After Hitting $800 Billion—And The Greed Is Off The Charts
Elon Musk Ripped After Setting Net Worth Goal To $10 Trillion

Elon Musk Just Revealed His New Net Worth Goal After Hitting $800 Billion—And The Greed Is Off The Charts

If you're wondering if there's an amount of money that would ever be "enough" for gazillionaire sociopath Elon Musk, the answer is apparently no.

He's already the world's richest man, with his net worth surpassing $800 billion in February after his company SpaceX acquired xAI earlier this year

Keep ReadingShow less
Donald Trump
Meidas Touch Network

Trump Just Tried To Impress Some Kids With His Putting Skills At A White House Physical Fitness Event—And It Went Hilariously Awry

MAGA Republican President Donald Trump signed a memo at the White House on Tuesday, reinstating the Presidential Fitness Test Award.

Seated at the C&O Desk—Trump removed the Resolute Desk in February of 2025 for some "light refinishing"—in the Oval Office, the POTUS was flanked by schoolchildren, professional athletes, and members of his cabinet during the event to mark National Youth Sports and Fitness Month.

Keep ReadingShow less
Chuck Schumer; Donald Trump
Kevin Dietsch/Getty Images; Andrew Harnik/Getty Images

Chuck Schumer Claps Back Hard After White House Shades Him With Racist Cinco De Mayo Meme

Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer responded after the White House marked Cinco de Mayo on Tuesday by sharing a racist AI-generated meme of him and House Minority Leader Hakeem Jeffries celebrating the holiday.

In the image, the two men are depicted seated at a table near the border, wearing sombreros and raising margaritas in a toast, with a sign placed in front of them that reads: “I LOVE ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS.”

Keep ReadingShow less
Hannah Natanson
Tom Brenner/For The Washington Post via Getty Images

'Washington Post' Journalist Who Had Home Raided By Trump's FBI Just Won Pulitzer Prize—And Her Reaction In Viral Video Says It All

Washington Post journalist Hannah Natanson won the Pulitzer Prize for Public Service for her coverage of the Trump administration's disastrous DOGE initiative and her somber reaction to the news underscores how taxing the political environment has been for journalists just trying to do their jobs.

DOGE founder Elon Musk previously stated that his goal was to reduce federal spending by $2 trillion from the $6.75 trillion annual budget recorded in the 2024 fiscal year.

Keep ReadingShow less
Kid Cudi (left) removed M.I.A. (right) from his Rebel Ragers Tour following backlash over her onstage remarks.
Joseph Okpako/WireImage via Getty Images; Gilbert Carrasquillo/Getty Images

Rapper Kid Cudi Fires M.I.A. From His Tour After Her Rant About 'Illegals' Draws Instant Backlash

If M.I.A. was hoping for attention, she got it—just not the kind that comes with a tour slot. Following backlash over her rant about “illegals,” Kid Cudi made it clear he’s not co-signing the controversy, dropping her from his Rebel Ragers Tour with zero hesitation.

It all went down on May 2 at Dos Equis Pavilion in Dallas, where fans captured the British rapper in a monologue that quickly went viral online.

Keep ReadingShow less