Skip to content
Search AI Powered

Latest Stories

Clear Backpacks Mandated at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School

Clear Backpacks Mandated at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School
Joe Raedle/Getty Images

The rule is not without controversy.

Students at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida are now required to wear clear backpacks to class, per a new regulation imposed by Robert Runcie, the Broward County School District's superintendent.


The new rule is part of an effort to implement school safety measures following last month's massacre in which 17 students and teachers were murdered. Backpacks will be provided to students who don't have them free of charge.

Runcie's decision is also a response to two recent incidents at the school—last week, the shooter's brother was arrested for trespassing on school property and two students were arrested after being caught carrying knives in their backpacks. A third student was arrested for making threats on Snapchat.

In addition to clear backpacks, students and teachers will be provided with ID cards, which they are required to wear at all times while on school grounds.

The Broward County school system has also proposed installing metal detectors, but Runcie is skeptical over their effectiveness, as well as the logistical challenges involved with installing them. "Someone is not going to go through a metal detector with an AR-15," Runcie said. Runcie also explained that metal detectors may not prevent gun violence, because a determined enough assailant would find a way around them. He then expressed his belief that metal detectors would make the school a less welcoming learning environment.

Recently, the state of Florida passed a law aimed at beefing up school security, with Stoneman Douglas being a priority. The $8.5 million initiative is designed to place an armed guard at every Broward County school by the the start of the next school year. An additional $6 million has been allocated for mental health services.

Per the New York Times:

"In his letter on Wednesday, Mr. Runcie also outlined other steps the district was taking across county schools, such as evaluating "code red" active-shooter protocols and drills, and upgrading surveillance camera systems. Schools with multiple entry points would have single points of entry by the first quarter of 2019, he said. A new Florida law passed after the shooting will set aside $8.5 million for the school district to pay for at least one armed police officer at each school starting in the fall. Broward also will receive $6 million to expand school mental health services, according to Mr. Runcie."

The move to require clear backpacks in school is not without controversy. Students at Stoneman Douglas are expressing their distaste for the rule, and would rather see common sense gun safety measures enacted that would prevent school shootings from happening in the first place.

Giphy

One parent of a student whose school had a clear backpack policy pointed out the slipper slope that it causes. Her child's school graduated from clear backpacks, to no backpacks at all.

Teen activist Kenidra Woods cited her own school's failed school clear backpack policy, noting that kids were still able to sneak weapons into classrooms.

Lauren Hogg, who survived the shooting along with her brother David Hogg, shares this sentiment.

Another MSD senior, Carly Novell, doesn't think clear backpacks will do anything to curb gun violence.

Clear backpacks are also seen as an invasion of student privacy. MSD student Lizzie McNichol tweeted that all her "privacy will be gone."

"Enforcing students to wear clear backpacks is simply like putting a band-aid on a broken bone," MSD student Natasha tweeted in response to the measure.



More from News

Maddie Schizas
Maddie Meyer/Getty Images

Professor's Heartwarming Email To Olympic Figure Skater Who Asked For An Extension On Her Assignment Is Everything

While going through school and possibly college, we probably all had an assignment or two for which we really could have used an extension.

Admittedly, some reasons for needing an extension sound better than others, but competing in the Olympics seems like a pretty solid one.

Keep ReadingShow less
Andy Ogles; Bad Bunny
Heather Diehl/Getty Images; Neilson Barnard/Getty Images

MAGA Rep. Dragged After Claiming Bad Bunny's Halftime Show Depicted 'Gay Pornography'

Tennessee Republican Representative Andy Ogles was widely mocked after he claimed Bad Bunny's Super Bowl halftime show was "pure smut" that depicted "gay pornography"—even going so far as to write a letter to the Energy and Commerce Committee demanding "a formal congressional inquiry" into the "indecent broadcast."

The rapper, whose real name is Benito Antonio Martínez Ocasio, delivered a largely Spanish-language show that has been hailed as a "love letter to Puerto Rico" and that drew from his latest album, Debí Tirar Más Fotos, which won the Grammy for Album of the Year just a week ago.

Keep ReadingShow less
Chris Brown (left) and Bad Bunny (right) are pictured separately amid online backlash and praise following Bad Bunny’s record-breaking Super Bowl halftime performance.
Marc Piasecki/WireImage; Neilson Barnard/Getty Images

Chris Brown Slammed After Appearing To Throw Bizarre Shade At Bad Bunny's Halftime Show

Bad Bunny’s record-breaking halftime show pulled in over 135 million viewers—fans, stans, casual watchers, and yes, professional haters who tune in just to be mad. Which brings me to the loudest one in the room: Chris Brown.

Brown took to social media to offer an unsolicited—and frankly bizarre—reaction to the Puerto Rico-inspired performance, posting a cryptic message that immediately rubbed people the wrong way.

Keep ReadingShow less
Todd Richards; Big Air Snowboarder Seungeun Yu
@btoddrichards/Instagram; Ulrik Pedersen/NurPhoto via Getty Images

NBC Broadcaster Speaks Out After He's Caught On Hot Mic Trashing Men's Snowboarding Competition At Olympics

Well, we've officially got our first hot mic oopsie of the 2026 Milano Cortina Olympics!

Broadcaster Todd Richards took to Instagram Sunday to apologize for comments he made during the men's big air snowboarding event that he didn't realize were being broadcast.

Keep ReadingShow less
Amber Glenn; Donald Trump
Andy Cheung/Getty Images; Samuel Corum/Getty Images

Olympic Figure Skater Reveals 'Scary Amount' Of Threats She Got After Her Criticism Of Trump

Amber Glenn, the first openly queer woman to represent the U.S. in figure skating, spoke out in an Instagram post about the torrent of threats she's received after criticizing President Donald Trump's treatment of the LGBTQ+ community.

Glenn had voiced criticism of the Trump administration earlier in the week during a pre-Olympics press conference, describing the period as especially difficult for herself and others in the LGBTQ+ community. Her comments were among several political statements made by U.S. athletes in the run-up to the Winter Games in Milan, Italy.

Keep ReadingShow less