Skip to content
Search AI Powered

Latest Stories

Chris Rock Publicly Addresses Will Smith's Oscars Slap For First Time During Sold-Out Show

Chris Rock Publicly Addresses Will Smith's Oscars Slap For First Time During Sold-Out Show
ROBYN BECK/AFP via Getty Images

Comedian Chris Rock has at last broken his silence about the now-infamous incident in which actor Will Smith slapped him on live television at the Oscars on Sunday.

Rock dug into the topic a bit at the first night of his new stand-up comedy tour at Boston's Wilbur Theatre on Wednesday night, where a sold-out crowd greeted him with a standing ovation.


Variety obtained audio from the show, in which Rock briefly discussed the incident.

Hear the audio below.

Taking the stage at the Wilbur amid thunderous applause, Rock opened his set by casually quipping:

"How was your weekend?"

Rock then told his crowd that he is "still processing" the events of Sunday night.

“I don’t have a bunch of sh*t to say about that. I had written a whole show before this weekend."
"I’m still processing what happened, so at some point, I’ll talk about that sh*t. It’ll be serious. It’ll be funny, but right now, I’m going to tell some jokes.”

Rock then launched into his previously rehearsed set for his Ego Death Tour, leaving the topic behind.

But the comments were nonetheless significant given his complete silence since the event--and especially amid the wave of new information that has come out in recent days about what went down at the Dolby Theatre.

The Academy of Motion Picture Arts & Sciences, which administers the Oscars, said Wednesday that Smith was asked to leave the ceremony immediately after the incident but he refused, going on to win the Best Actor statuette shortly thereafter.

And today Oscars producer Will Packer revealed that the Los Angeles Police Department came to the Dolby Theatre Sunday night prepared to arrest Smith for battery, but left when Rock repeatedly refused to press charges.

On Twitter, Rock's comments in Boston definitely raised intrigue, but seemed to only intensify the ongoing debate about the incident.












The Academy has since launched an internal review of Smith's conduct on Sunday night. It is expected to take several weeks.

More from Entertainment/tv-and-movies

Pedro Pascal; JK Rowling
Toya Sarno Jordan/Getty Images for Disney; Dave J Hogan/Getty Images

Pedro Pascal Opens Up About Why He Called Transphobe JK Rowling A 'Heinous Loser'

Actor Pedro Pascal recently explained why he said Harry Potter author and anti-trans activist JK Rowling behaves like a "heinous loser," and suffice it to say he has absolutely no regrets.

The comment came in reference to Rowling gloating over the U.K. Supreme Court's recent decision to define what exactly constitutes a "woman" in the eyes of U.K. law, a decision that subjects trans people to violence, among other problems.

Keep ReadingShow less
JD Vance
Johannes Simon/Getty Images

Vance Dragged After Making Cringey Middle Finger Joke About 'Pink-Haired People' At GOP Dinner

Vice President JD Vance was criticized profusely after he attempted to make a joke mocking liberals during his appearance at the Ohio Republican Party dinner this week—only to have people calling out his lack of class for holding up his middle finger as he delivered the punchline.

Vance was in the middle of giving the event's keynote speech when he said the following:

Keep ReadingShow less
Donald Trump
Beata Zawrzel/NurPhoto via Getty Images

Trump Ripped After Posting Disturbing Parody Music Video About His Attack On Iran

President Donald Trump is facing harsh criticism after he shared a music video featuring the 1980 song "Bomb Iran"—a parody of The Regents song "Barbara Ann" that is best known for being covered by the Beach Boys—amid a ceasefire between Israel and Iran that could further inflame tensions in the Middle East.

The controversial parody song by Vince Vance & the Valiants plays over footage of B-2 stealth bombers, the same aircraft used to drop 14 GBU-57 bunker-buster bombs on Iranian nuclear facilities, including the Fordow enrichment plant, Natanz complex, and Isfahan site.

Keep ReadingShow less
Donald Trump; Zohran Mamdani
Omar Havana/Getty Images; Michael M. Santiago/Getty Images

Trump Just Tried To Slam Zohran Mamdani's Looks And Voice—And It Was Projection At Its Finest

President Donald Trump lashed out at Zohran Mamdani after the 33-year-old democratic socialist handily defeated former New York Governor Andrew Cuomo in New York City's Democratic mayoral primary on Tuesday—only to be called out for projecting his own feelings of inadequacy onto the star candidate.

Mamdani ran a campaign centered around economic populism, arguing that the city, a global financial center, has grown unaffordable for everyday residents, citing soaring rents and grocery prices, and outlining policies aimed at reducing the cost of living.

Keep ReadingShow less
salad
Anna Pelzer on Unsplash

Doctors Explain Which Seemingly 'Healthy' Foods Aren't All That Good For Us

Every day it seems like some new health fad pops up.

Eat this, don't eat that.

Keep ReadingShow less