Skip to content
Search AI Powered

Latest Stories

Tom Holland Opens Up About Regret For How He Handled Replacing Andrew Garfield As Spider-Man

Tom Holland; Andrew Garfield
Jose Perez/Bauer-Griffin/GC Images; ANGELA WEISS/AFP via Getty Images

The MCU star admitted he was 'so caught up in getting the role' at age 19 in 2015 that he didn't consider Garfield's feelings.

Tom Holland has opened up about one of his biggest regrets in his career--and it all stems from the biggest role he's played so far.

In a recent interview with The Hollywood Reporter, Holland spoke about his controversial replacement of fellow British actor Andrew Garfield in the titular role in Sony's Spider-Man franchise back in 2015.


Sony's Spider-Man Universe is a media franchise and since 2015 a shared universe of films produced by Columbia Pictures in association with Marvel Entertainment. Marvel sold the rights to Spider-Man to Sony in 1999 before the MCU became box-office gold.

Holland told The Hollywood Reporter he was so excited about landing a major gig at just 19 he didn't consider how Garfield might be feeling in the midst of the switchover.

Garfield, who joined the Spider-Man franchise in 2012, is believed to have been pushed out of subsequent sequels after The Amazing Spider-Man 2.

Garfield was openly critical of the films he appeared in, saying that he felt Sony and producers had excised several "deep scenes" from the second that he felt were important to the film.Neither of Garfield's films were critical successes and they did not live up to expectations at the box office.

The subsequent 2015 Sony hack revealed emails in which Sony staffers discussed being angry with Garfield over his comments and especially his refusal to attend a gala event in Rio de Janeiro at which the third and final Garfield-starring installment of the franchise was to be announced. Shortly thereafter it was announced that Garfield was out and would be replaced by Holland.

Holland told THR he now feels his handling of his casting was insensitive to Garfield because of his "naievete as a kid."

"I was 19 when I got cast. I was so caught up in getting the role that I never took any time to think about what it must have been like for [Garfield]."
"If I’d made my second movie, and it didn’t necessarily deliver in the way it should have done, and they recast me, I would really struggle to bounce back."

He went on to praise his colleague's handling of the controversy and expressed what he wishes he'd done differently.

"Andrew bounced back in the most unbelievable way. I just wish I’d called him and just said, 'You know I can’t turn down this opportunity.'"

There doesn't appear to be any bad blood between the two, however.

Holland revealed he, Garfield and O.G. Spider-Man Tobey Maguire—who appeared together in 2021's Spider-Man: No Way Home—have a group chat they've named The Spider-Boys.

On Twitter, fans were moved by Holland's heartfelt words about his respect for Garfield.

They also loved that the three iconic Spider-Men are buddy-buddy now.






Holland also announced in his THR interview he is taking a year off from acting.

Butndon't worry, Holland is slated to appear in a fourth Spider-Man film, which does not yet have a release date.

More from Entertainment/celebrities

Javier Bardem; Donald Trump
Samir Hussein/WireImage; Kevin Dietsch/Getty Images

Javier Bardem Calls Out Trump's 'Male Toxic Behavior' In Fiery NSFW Rant—And He's Spot On

Oscar-winning actor Javier Bardem criticized President Donald Trump and other despotic world leaders at the Cannes Film Festival on Sunday, condemning the "male toxic behavior" they exhibit on a regular basis.

Bardem spoke while promoting director Rodrigo Sorogoyen's The Beloved, in which he stars as an acclaimed director forced to reckon with his distant relationship with his daughter. Bardem said the film is itself an exploration of toxic masculinity, namely “the bad education that we have received for many ages."

Keep ReadingShow less
Kimberly Guilfoyle
Nicolas Koutsokostas/NurPhoto via Getty Images

Kimberly Guilfoyle Gets Dragged Hard Over Her Ribbon-Cutting Ceremony In Greece For New McDonald's

U.S. Ambassador to Greece Kimberly Guilfoyle was widely mocked after gushing over a new McDonald's location at The Mall in Athens, referring to it as the "most technologically advanced McDonald's in all of Europe."

Guilfoyle took to social media with the following message, sharing photos from the ribbon-cutting ceremony:

Keep ReadingShow less
Screenshot of Eric Metaxas
@atrupar/X

Clip Of MAGA Speaker At Prayer Event Claiming God 'Raised Up' Trump To Build His Ballroom Is Peak MAGA

MAGA author and radio host Eric Metaxas was criticized after claiming that God "raised up" President Donald Trump after two centuries so he could build his new White House ballroom.

Last year, Trump ordered the demolition of the entire East Wing to make way for a 90,000 square-foot ballroom that will dwarf the size of the White House itself, sparking alarm from historical preservationists and the public alike.

Keep ReadingShow less
Pete Buttigieg; Sean Duffy
CNN; Eric Lee/Getty Images

Pete Buttigieg Perfectly Shames Sean Duffy Over His 'Road Trip' Reality Show With A Reminder Of His Own 'Taxpayer-Funded Road Trip'

On Friday, May 8, MAGA Republican President Donald Trump's Secretary of Transportation returned to his Fox News stomping grounds to announce a return to his reality TV roots with a five-part YouTube series. Duffy, who was a self-described party boy on MTV's Real World: Boston back in the 1990s, owes his name value to his time on reality TV.

Following his first stint in the Real World franchise, Duffy returned to compete on MTV Road Rules, later meeting his wife, Fox & Friends Weekend co-anchor Rachel Campos-Duffy—herself a notorious hard partier from Real World: San Francisco—on an installment of the program.

Keep ReadingShow less
Waymo vehicles crowd an Atlanta cul-de-sac during the viral incident.
Courtesy of WSB-TV

Internet Weirded Out After Dozens Of Empty Self-Driving Waymo Cars Descend On Atlanta Neighborhood For No Apparent Reason

It’s one thing to see a self-driving Waymo car and do a quick double-take over the fact that nobody is behind the wheel. It’s another thing when dozens of them suddenly start rolling through your neighborhood like a very confused robot field trip.

Residents on Atlanta’s ironically named “Battleview Drive” say empty Waymo vehicles have been repeatedly swarming their cul-de-sac during the early morning hours despite not picking up or dropping off passengers.

Keep ReadingShow less