Most Read


Man Sues Gwyneth Paltrow's Company Goop After Vagina-Scented Candle Allegedly 'Exploded'

Man Sues Gwyneth Paltrow's Company Goop After Vagina-Scented Candle Allegedly 'Exploded'
Jamie McCarthy/Getty Images for Michael Kors

Gwyneth Paltrow's vagina candles have now exploded on more than one occasion, one of which resulted in a Texas man filing a lawsuit against Paltrow's wellness company, Goop.

Colby Watson, who bought the $75 candle "This Smells Like My Vagina," burned it on his bedside table for around three hours. He alleged the candle "exploded" and became "engulfed in high flames."

The candle jar was charred and black and left a black ring of residue on the surface it occupied.

Goop has a warning that comes with the listing of the candle on the website to not burn it for more than two hours at a time.

They're dismissing Watson's lawsuit as "frivolous."

"We're confident this claim is frivolous and an attempt to secure an outsized payout from a press-heavy product. We stand behind the brands we carry and the safety of the products we sell."
"Here, Heretic - the brand that supplies the candle - has substantiated the product's performance and safety through industry standard testing."

But this is not the first time one of Gwyneth Paltrow's vagina candles exploded.

Jody Thompson, from the UK, alleged her candle exploded mere moments after she lit it.

"Flames roared half a metre out of the jar and bits of molten wax flew out as it fizzed and spat,...Luckily, I had placed it on concrete, at the base of what was once a fireplace."

Goop's reputation for odd and even dangerous wellness products precedes it, but other than being exorbitantly priced, the "This Smells Like My Vagina" candle seemed harmless.

But if even Paltrow's most innocuous products are capable of causing bodily harm by way of explosion, perhaps Goop is a company best avoided altogether.