Skip to content
Search AI Powered

Latest Stories

As the Deadline for #DeactiDay Looms, Twitter Finally Suspends Alex Jones for TOS Violations

As the Deadline for #DeactiDay Looms, Twitter Finally Suspends Alex Jones for TOS Violations
(Infowars/Twitter and Teresa Kroeger/Getty Images for Thurgood Marshall College Fund)

It's not as good as it sounds.

Earlier this month a slew of social media platforms including iTunes, Facebook, YouTube, Spotify and Pinterest, banned Alex Jones and his conspiracy theory promoting website InfoWars. While Jones claims it violates his right to free speech, the platforms bowed to mounting public pressure to enforce the requirements of each company’s own terms of service (TOS).

Twitter now joins them, at least temporarily.


People on social media platforms either personally experience suspensions or bans or know people who have. The push to ban Alex Jones centered on the easily documented and proven double standards each platform used. If an individual called for people to kill someone, they could have their accounts suspended temporarily or outright banned. But if Alex Jones told his many listeners to commit violent acts, Jones suffered no consequences.

The lone major holdout on the removal of Alex Jones and Infowars for repeated flagrant violations of TOS agreements was Twitter. However their founder and CEO Jack Dorsey explained Jones never violated Twitter’s rules, but if he did Dorsey's company would hold Jones and Infowars to the same standard as all—or most with one major exception at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue—other users.

On August 8, Dorsey took to Twitter and stated:

We didn’t suspend Alex Jones or Infowars yesterday. We know that’s hard for many but the reason is simple: he hasn’t violated our rules. We’ll enforce if he does."

However many soon pointed out a small problem with Dorsey's reasoning. They found—without looking very hard—many examples of the Alex Jones and the separate Infowars Twitter accounts violating the platform's TOS agreement.

Just a day later on August 9, CNN's Oliver Darcy presented a series of Jones or Infowars Twitter posts all in clear violation of Twitter's TOS. After the information was published, all of the posts were deleted from the social media platform.

Darcy also used an email from Twitter's vice president for trust and safety, Del Harvey, against the tech giant. Harvey, in a message to employees, assured them that if the content cited by YouTube or Facebook that got Jones banned had appeared on Twitter, they would also ban him.

Not so fast, corrected Darcy.

Unfortunately for Harvey and Dorsey, the offending ban worthy content Harvey pointed out in his company email actually was on Twitter.

On Friday, August 10, Twitter responded to CNN's story and list of TOS violating Alex Jones and Infowars Twitter posts. The social media company admitted at least 7 of the Twitter posts clearly violated their TOS.

But, the social media giant added, since Jones deleted the posts after Darcy's CNN expose, no harm-no foul, Jones was good to go. This response received major pushback.

Even before the CNN story, Dorsey's announcement on August 8 led some Twitter users to plan a mass deactivation of their accounts in protest under the hashtag #DeactiDay. Movement founder and frequent Dorsey critic Mike Monteiro said in an interview with Mashable:

You’ve got the perfect platform for spreading hate and there’s no checks on it whatsoever. Alex Jones was just the final straw."

But Tuesday night, after Jones uploaded another Twitter TOS violating video, he finally earned a ban from the platform. After requiring Jones to delete the video—which he did—he received a 7 day ban from tweeting, retweeting, or liking any messages.

Wednesday morning, Jones went to his separate Infowars Twitter account to post a rambling 13 plus minute diatribe proclaiming himself the real victim. That video was soon also deleted but not before Twitter imposed a 7 day ban on the Infowars account too.

Infowars Twitter post on August 15, 2018 (Twitter screen grab)

Of the video that earned him the week long ban, Jones claims he only defended freedom and denounced censorship. Jones stated in his second deleted video:

On Twitter, we have been so careful even to follow their anti-free speech, university SJW rules, so a video about Donald Trump needing to take action against web censorship, that gets flagged and gets us suspended for seven days...I guess Dorsey is toying with us, or his people are."

A viewing of the 2 minute video made available by Media Matters tells a different story however.

In it, Alex Jones tells President Trump he must gather loyal people to violently take care of censorship against people like Alex Jones then tells listeners—if they are truly patriotic—to get their "battle rifles" ready against mainstream media, the "Chicom operatives" and anyone else who got Alex Jones banned for Jones' own words and behavior.

Alex Jones original Twitter video that earned him a 7 day ban on the platform. (Twitter screen grab)

In his Wednesday rambling 13 minute long rebuttal to his 7 day Twitter ban, Jones stated:

Infowars is now a rallying cry for free speech in Americana, so I am very honored to be under attack."

But anyone familiar with Jones suspects a motive other than freedom is the basis for everything.

Jones used his social media presence—since no remotely respectable news organization would give him airtime—to sell supplements and survivalist gear that he assured his listeners they would need for the coming civil war that he predicted for July 4 and again on Tuesday.

More from News

Lil Nas X
Gilbert Flores/Variety via Getty Images

Lil Nas X Speaks Out

Lil Nas X’s summer swerved from chart-topping to chaotic after his arrest in Los Angeles last week. The Grammy-winning “Industry Baby” rapper, born Montero Lamar Hill, found himself in the middle of a late-night spiral that ended with felony charges, a hospital stay, and a video to fans that was equal parts rattled and reassuring.

According to reports from last week, Hill was spotted drifting in and out of a Hollywood hotel before wandering the streets in nothing but underwear and cowboy boots.

Keep ReadingShow less
Travis Kelce and Taylor Swift
Patrick Smith/Getty Images

Travis Kelce's Dad Just Revealed When Travis Proposed To Taylor—And Fans Are All Noticing A Huge Easter Egg

In "Love Story," Taylor Swift once sang, "We were both young when I first saw you . . . It's a love story, baby, just say, 'Yes.'"

And in "You Belong with Me," Swift sang, "I'm on the bleachers / Dreaming about the day when you wake up and find / What you're looking for has been here the whole time."

Keep ReadingShow less
Screenshot of Charlie Kirk; Travis Kelce and Taylor Swift
Real America's Voice; Jamie Squire/Getty Images

Charlie Kirk Slammed After Telling Taylor Swift To 'Submit To Your Husband' Following News Of Her Engagement

Far-right influencer Charlie Kirk put his misogyny and sexism on full display when he responded to the news that Kansas City Chiefs star Travis Kelce and musician Taylor Swift are engaged to be married, saying that Swift should now take the opportunity to become "more conservative" and reminding her to "submit to your husband."

Kirk was of course just one of the millions around the country who responded to the news that America's most famous couple will soon tie the knot—but few made comments as openly backward as this.

Keep ReadingShow less
Randy Rainbow; Donald Trump
Randy Rainbow/YouTube; Chip Somodevilla/Getty Images

Randy Rainbow Skewers Trump's Desire To Be King With Spot-On 'Lion King' Parody

Since the first presidency of MAGA Republican President Donald Trump, one of the greatest things to happen as a result was the rise of Randy Rainbow. Yes, unlike JD Vance, that's his real name.

His blend of political satire and musical parodies with a Broadway point of view have skewered Trump, his cabinet, and his closest cronies in Congress. His YouTube channel has garnered over 160 million views.

Keep ReadingShow less