Skip to content
Search AI Powered

Latest Stories

Everything You Need to Know About the 2017 Kennedy Center Honors

Everything You Need to Know About the 2017 Kennedy Center Honors
LL COOL J, one of he five recipients of the 40th Annual Kennedy Center Honors with his award as he poses for a group photo following a dinner hosted by United States Secretary of State Rex Tillerson in their honor at the US Department of State in Washington, D.C. on Saturday, December 2, 2017.
Make us preferred on Google

The Kennedy Center Honors is an annual event that typically recognizes three to five people in the performing arts, and their contributions to art and American culture.

Tonight, CBS will broadcast the Kennedy Center Honors gala for the 40th consecutive year in a two-hour primetime television event. The event was filmed on December 3.


The Kennedy Center Honors kicked off in 1978. It was created by George Stevens Jr. and Nick Vanoff; the former co-produced and co-wrote the event through 2014. After that time, the production rights were sold to the Kennedy Center.

Five Performers Will Receive Awards Tonight

Five performing artists will receive a Kennedy Center Honors Award tonight, including dancer and choreographer Carmen de Lavallade, Cuban American singer/songwriter and actress Gloria Estefan, hip-hop artist LL COOL J, TV writer and producer Norman Lear, and musician Lionel Richie.

This year, LL Cool J will become the first rapper to ever receive a Kennedy Center Honor. In an interview with The Washington Post earlier this month, the rap artist said, "I am blown away. This is the biggest musical award you can receive. To be recognized by your country, and to be able to represent hip-hop as an art form is amazing. I’m surprised, grateful, humbled and honored.”

President Trump Will Not Attend

In August, the White House announced that President Trump and the First Lady would not be participating in the Kennedy Center Honors. "The president and first lady have decided not to participate in this year's activities to allow the honorees to celebrate without any political distraction. First lady Melania Trump, along with her husband President Donald J. Trump, extend their sincerest congratulations and well wishes to all of this year's award recipients for their many accomplishments."

Why the decision to skip? Typically, the Kennedy Center Honors are hosted by the President and First Lady. After the five honorees were announced this year, however, a few said they would not attend the ceremony because they do not support the Trump administration. De Lavallade issued a statement that read, "In light of the socially divisive and morally caustic narrative that our current leadership is choosing to engage in, and in keeping with the principles that I and so many others have fought for, I will be declining the invitation to attend the reception at the White House." Lear's statement, meanwhile, read, "This is a presidency that has chosen to neglect totally the arts and humanities — deliberately defund them — and that doesn’t rest pleasantly with me."

In response to the announcement that President Trump would not be attending the event, Kennedy Center Chairman David M. Rubenstein and President Deborah F. Rutter said, "The Kennedy Center respects the decision made today by the office of the President of the United States. In choosing not to participate in this year's Honors activities, the Administration has graciously signaled its respect for the Kennedy Center and ensures the Honors gala remains a deservingly special moment for the Honorees. We are grateful for this gesture."

On the red carpet, Estefan said she is thankful the president did not attend the event. "All it does is overshadow the accomplishments of people who spent a lifetime trying to do something."

More from People/donald-trump

Millie Bobby Brown on 'Celebrity Substitute'
@celebritysubstitute/TikTok

Millie Bobby Brown Praised For Changing Her Accent Mid-Conversation While Speaking With Kids So They Could Understand Her Better

You can tell a lot by how people interact with children, and Stranger Things star Millie Bobby Brown has wowed viewers with her recent interaction with a group of children while giving them a mini-lesson on film acting.

While guest-starring on the Celebrity Substitute series, Brown sat down with a group of young children to talk about a few basic terms found in film acting, including "action" and knowing your "mark."

Keep ReadingShow less
Elderly man smacking a Cubs spectator
@breaking911/X

Older Chicago Cubs Fan Sparks Outrage After Smacking Younger Guy For Not Standing During National Anthem In Viral Video

At this point about 99% of conservatives' politics is based around feeling like even tacit disagreement is an attack on them personally, and a new viral video shows this delusion in action.

People have been left shocked by the clip, filmed in the stands of a Chicago Cubs game, in which an elderly fan slaps a stranger upside the head for not standing during the National Anthem.

Keep ReadingShow less
Ferran Torres
Calvin Hernandez/Eurasia Sport Images/Getty Images

Spain's World Cup Final Goal Scorer Has Fans Spiraling After Sporting MAGA-Style Hat For Victory Parade

Ferran Torres, who scored the game-winning goal in Spain's 1-0 win over Argentina in the World Cup final on Sunday, had fans scratching their heads after he sported a red MAGA-style "Make Spain Great Again" hat for the team's victory parade in Madrid.

Torres, who plays for Barcelona, posted photos on Instagram wearing a cap that closely resembles one of President Donald Trump's signature "Make America Great Again" hats.

Keep ReadingShow less
Screenshot of Jasmine Crockett
@atrupar/X

Jasmine Crockett Just Bluntly Called Out The GOP-Led Congressional Hearing Targeting The Smithsonian For What It Is—And We're Nodding Hard

Texas Democratic Representative Jasmine Crockett summed up the point of a House Committee on Oversight and Government Reform's Subcommittee on Delivering on Government Efficiency's hearing on Tuesday about the National Museum of American History's alleged "extreme political activism."

Smithsonian National Museum of American History Director Dr. Anthea Hartig faced scrutiny on Capitol Hill after a White House report accused the Smithsonian Institution's National Museum of American History of becoming a taxpayer-funded center of "ideological capture" and "extreme political activism."

Keep ReadingShow less
Ryan Gosling attends "Project Hail Mary" New York premiere at Lincoln Center.
Dominik Bindl/FilmMagic

The 'La La Land' Poster Was Just Officially Edited To Fix Ryan Gosling's Bent Hand—And Fans Have Thoughts

If you've spent the last decade unable to unsee Ryan Gosling's oddly bent hand on the La La Land poster, you're not alone. The visual quirk became an enduring talking point among fans. And now, for the film's 10-year anniversary, it's officially been fixed.

The poster for the iconic 2016 musical has been subtly adjusted ahead of its theatrical re-release on August 16 to celebrate its 10th anniversary. While the original artwork shows Gosling's character, Sebastian, with his hand tilted downward in the famous dance pose, the updated version straightens it to mirror Emma Stone's Mia.

Keep ReadingShow less