Skip to content
Search AI Powered

Latest Stories

Al Pacino Speaks Out About 'Controversy' Over How He Announced Best Picture At The Oscars

Al Pacino announcing Best Picture
Rich Polk/Variety via Getty Images

The actor caused some confusion Sunday night due to his nonchalant announcement of 'Oppenheimer' as the winner of Best Picture at the Oscars—so he cleared the air in a statement to 'Variety.'

After sparking quite the controversy over his Best Picture presentation at Sunday night's Oscars, Al Pacino is clearing the air.

The actor had many viewers confused when he took the stage to announce the best film of the year and nonchalantly named Oppenheimer as the winner without even naming the other nominees.


Envelope in hand, he addressed the audience:

“Only one will take the award for Best Picture, and I have to go to the envelope for that, and I will."
"Here it comes."

He then opened the envelope and revealed the winner.

“And my eyes see ‘Oppenheimer.’”

You can watch below.

Al Pacino BREAKS SILENCE On Oscars Best Picture Moment youtu.be

But Pacino said the omission of the other nominees was intentional.

In a statement made to Variety on Monday, the Godfather star explained:

“There seems to be some controversy about my not mentioning every film by name last night before announcing the best picture award."
“I just want to be clear it was not my intention to omit them, rather a choice by the producers not to have them said again since they were highlighted individually throughout the ceremony.”

He continued, "empathizing" with those who felt "slighted by this oversight."

"I was honored to be a part of the evening and chose to follow the way they wished for this award to be presented.”
“I realize being nominated is a huge milestone in one’s life and to not be fully recognized is offensive and hurtful."
"I say this as someone who profoundly relates with filmmakers, actors and producers so I deeply empathize with those who have been slighted by this oversight and it’s why I felt it necessary to make this statement."

People on social media, however, don't feel Pacino owes anyone an apology...








But they appreciated him speaking out, regardless.

Oscars producer Molly McNearney told Variety that having Pacino not list the 10 nominees for Best Picture "was a creative decision" as the creative team was “very worried that the show was going to be long” and clips from all 10 best picture nominees had already played throughout the evening.

She added:

“By the time you get to the end of the show, you’ve seen all 10 best picture clip packages."
"People just want to hear who wins, and they’re pretty ready for the show to be over. At least that’s what we anticipated."
"So, we did not give him a clip package. We did not give him nominations to read. I apologize if our decision to not have to read through all those nominations put him in a tough spot.”

And there you have it.

More from Entertainment/tv-and-movies

dog and cat snuggling together
Krista Mangulsone on Unsplash

Times Pet Owners 'Severely Underestimated' Their Pets' Intelligence

I've lived with cats—because no one owns a feline—most of my life. Some have been very clever creatures while others were real dingbats.

Family members have owned dogs whose talents also ran the gamut.

Keep Reading Show less
Scott Bessent
Meet the Press/NBC News

Scott Bessent Blasted Over His Bonkers Suggestion For How To Bring Your Own Inflation Rate Down

Continuing to follow the example of MAGA Republican President Donald Trump, Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent appeared on Meet the Press Sunday to blame Democratic President Joe Biden for the financial downturn caused by Trump's tariff fiasco, then lied repeatedly about the state of the economy.

Meet the Press host Kristen Welker played a clip of MAGA Republican Vice President JD Vance telling a conservative audience at a Breitbart News event that Americans owe the Trump administration "a little bit of patience"—apparently while they figure out what tariffs are and how they work since they're rolling back more of them to lower consumer prices despite claiming Trump's tariffs don't affect consumer prices.

Keep Reading Show less
Lindsay Lohan attends the men's final during day fifteen of the 2025 US Open Tennis Championships at USTA Billie Jean King National Tennis Center.
Elsa/Getty Images

Lindsay Lohan Is Now Sporting A New Accent—And Fans Aren't Sure What To Make Of It

In a twist freakier than a sequel to Freaky Friday, Lindsay Lohan has debuted yet another new accent—this time at the Fashion Trust Arabia Awards in Doha, Qatar.

Draped in a maroon, jewel-trimmed gown by The New Arrivals Ilkyaz Ozel and accompanied by her husband, Bader Shammas, and their 2-year-old son, Luai, the actress looked serene, elegant, and completely unbothered by the collective whiplash she was about to inflict on the internet.

Keep Reading Show less
Jameela Jamil
Gilbert Flores/Variety/Getty Images

Jameela Jamil Speaks Out Against The Rise Of The 'Aesthetic Of Emaciation' Among Women In Hollywood

Content Warning: eating disorders, thinness as an aesthetic, emaciation in Hollywood

There's no denying that we've been gifted with some incredible music, television shows, and films this year.

Keep Reading Show less
Donald Trump; Screenshot of Jackie Chan and Chris Tucker in "Rush Hour 2"
Andrew Caballero-Reynolds/AFP via Getty Images; New Line Cinema

Trump Is Now Using His Presidential Sway To Pressure Studio Into Making 'Rush Hour 4'—And, Huh?

President Trump has reportedly pressured Paramount head Larry Ellison to make another sequel to Rush Hour, his favorite buddy-cop movie, as the company looks to acquire Warner Bros. Discovery.

The first Rush Hour film, starring Jackie Chan and Chris Tucker, was released in 1998, received positive reviews, and made $245 million worldwide. Chan and Tucker returned for two sequels released in 2001 and 2007 respectively.

Keep Reading Show less