Skip to content
Search AI Powered

Latest Stories

Wells Fargo Forced To Pay $97M For Skimping On Paying Employees For Their Breaks

Wells Fargo Forced To Pay $97M For Skimping On Paying Employees For Their Breaks
Smith Collection/Gado/Getty Images

A federal judge in California slapped a $97 million fine on Wells Fargo for not paying its employees enough money during their breaks.


In January, U.S. District Judge Percy Anderson ruled in favor of mortgage bankers and consultants that filed a class action suit in California, alleging that San Francisco-based Wells Fargo violated state labor laws by underpaying them during scheduled breaks. The $97 million payment is less than the original amount sought by the plaintiffs, however, which was $400 million.

Under California law, employees are entitled to a paid 10-minute break per every four hours of work. The complaint alleged that between March 17, 2013 and August 1, 2017, Wells Fargo failed to provide adequate compensation to their employees during their breaks. The court agreed with this, and imposed the $97 million fine.

Wells Fargo spokesman Tom Goyda said in a statement to Bloomberg that the ruling will be appealed.

"Wells Fargo's compensation structure for its home mortgage consultants complies with California's wage and hour laws, including pay for all break periods, and allows our [home mortgage consultants] to earn competitive, performance-based compensation. We plan to appeal on the basis that the court's decision reflects both a misunderstanding of our HMC compensation plan and a misapplication of the relevant state law."

Consumers on Twitter expressed their frustration with predatory banking and business practices, in which Wells Fargo has been a participant in recent years.





More from News

Alexnadria Ocasio-Cortez; Elon Musk
Jason Connolly/AFP via Getty Images; Brendan Smialowski/AFP via Getty Images

AOC Rips Elon Musk After He Peddles Tired GOP 'Conspiracy Theory' About Rally Crowds

New York Democratic Representative Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez criticized billionaire Elon Musk on X after Musk questioned the legitimacy of the crowd at her recent rally in Denver with Bernie Sanders.

Musk echoed a claim made by right-wing host Mario Nawfal, who alleged that a rally in Denver last week, featuring Ocasio-Cortez and Vermont Independent Senator Bernie Sanders, was attended primarily by professional left-wing protesters affiliated with funded organizations.

Keep ReadingShow less
Bruce Willis and Samuel L. Jackson
David M Benett/Dave Benett/WireImage/Getty Images

Samuel L. Jackson Recalls How Sage Advice From Bruce Willis Came True With Marvel Role

It's hard to imagine someone as successful as Samuel L. Jackson taking advice from anyone, no matter how helpful.

Bringing to life characters in Jurassic Park, Pulp Fiction, Star Wars, and every major superhero franchise including The Incredibles, it seems like Jackson has done it all.

Keep ReadingShow less
Author Dragged After Whining That Target's Fantasy Book Section Only Has 'Chick Lit'
@J0hnADouglas/X

Author Dragged After Whining That Target's Fantasy Book Section Only Has 'Chick Lit'

Author John A. Douglas visited a Target recently and had some opinions to share with his Twitter followers.

In a clip that he filmed and then posted, he showed the Fantasy section of the book shelves at the big box store, which was full of books that he claimed were mostly by women and for women.

Keep ReadingShow less
Parents of the daughter who died from measles
CHD

Texas Parents Whose Daughter Died From Measles Reaffirm That They're Still Anti-Vax

The Texas parents whose 6-year-old unvaccinated daughter died from measles said they have no regrets for not vaccinating their child.

The infected child's preventable death from the virus was the nation's first measles fatality in a decade.

Keep ReadingShow less
Hillary Clinton
Kimberly White/Getty Images for Common Sense Media

Hillary Clinton Has Iconic Reaction To Trump Administration's 'Atlantic' Text Scandal

Former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton had a succinct response after Jeffrey Goldberg—the editor-in-chief of The Atlantic—revealed he was invited into a Signal chat with high-level Trump administration officials discussing military strategy surrounding their war strikes in Yemen.

Goldberg revealed a highly unusual and concerning situation where senior Trump administration officials were allegedly discussing war plans over a group chat on Signal. Goldberg recounted that Representative Mike Waltz added him to an 18-person group chat, which he initially suspected was a hoax or disinformation campaign.

Keep ReadingShow less