They say "be careful what you wish for."
But could that also be applied to be careful what your kids wish for Christmas gifts?
12-year-old Cayden Parson didn't mean to cause a full on lawn fire after asking for a magnifying glass for Christmas, but nonetheless, he did so.
A 12-year-old in Texas got a magnifying glass for Christmas. His parents thought it would be used for reading, but… https://t.co/lsx1zwbYjf— CNN (@CNN)1577757808.0
The boy's mother, Nissa-Lynn Parson, posted about the incident and how it transpired.
"My twelve year old son Cayden, who is an avid reader, very curious, and interested in science, asked for a magnifying glass for Christmas. (It's like a basketball player asking for basketball shoes.)"
"We thought it was for reading, but instead he tried to see if he could light a fire with it!"
"We discovered that he and his two brothers went out on the driveway and burned a couple holes in some paper."
If there's anything we learned from the 90s, it's that kids never ask for magnifying glasses to read.
Toy Story - Sid tortures Woody with magnifying glass (HD clip) www.youtube.com
The fire soon got out of control.
"Everything was under control until the boys came running into the house telling us that a corner of the lawn was on fire and the Christmas lights were melting! Justin and I rushed outside to see the entire front lawn turning black!"
@CNN I gave my kids some blocks of wood with their magnifying glasses and showed them how to etch pictures into the wood using the sun.— TheMadTeacher #55% #Impotus (@TheMadTeacher #55% #Impotus)1577757935.0
@CNN I'm sorry but I gotta laugh! 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂— Sandra Tabbytosavit 🆘 🥁 (@Sandra Tabbytosavit 🆘 🥁)1577758746.0
@CNN Ummm, that’s what you do with a magnifying glass when your 12.— Carl Kincaid (@Carl Kincaid)1577758159.0
@CNN Accidentally? Heck when I was a kid we did this crap intentionally.— Glenn (@Glenn)1577766420.0
@CNN ‘Accidentally’— ChaosComet (@ChaosComet)1577757972.0
They managed to finally get the situation under control:
"We grabbed buckets, Justin turned the sprinklers on, and I grabbed blankets to smother and trap it - before it could spread any more into the neighbors yard!"
"What a sight to see - a bunch of people running around crazy trying to put a front lawn fire out while wearing matching Christmas jammies!"
@CNN https://t.co/9QpMCG2JtV— Deepak 🇱🇰 (@Deepak 🇱🇰)1577758220.0
@CNN Every kid who had a magnifying glass tried to burn a bug or start a fire.— William A Herrick (@William A Herrick)1577758800.0
@CNN I had a magnifying glass as a gift as a child. a couple times, the thought of using it that way did not occur to me. not once— TR Welling (@TR Welling)1577758005.0
@CNN of course he did, have you ever met a 12 year old boy— 💔missmygirl (@💔missmygirl)1577758375.0
@CNN Accidentally on purpose. Kind of surprised I never torched my parents deck when I was growing up.— Chuck Wagon (@Chuck Wagon)1577758532.0
The fire was started when Cayden and Ashton, the younger brother, went to burn a hole in the newspaper and it completely caught fire.
Ashton told FOX 4:
"The smoke was getting like as high as the tree."
@CNN My son did that once. He and his buddies were having Roman Candle wars for New Years, shooting at each other.… https://t.co/mX3nyCnotF— Diana247 (@Diana247)1577757932.0
@CNN @eatrightfitness sound familiar https://t.co/FGqo4L6cLH— Lisa Adams (@Lisa Adams)1577760926.0
@CNN haha. kids just trying something new and it works! Bravo— Ivy Paul (@Ivy Paul)1577758023.0
@CNN https://t.co/bACKvdSOUR— lsutigerzfan (@lsutigerzfan)1577758047.0
@CNN https://t.co/nIUFx82aZX— Sabir (@Sabir)1577758186.0
What is the lesson, parents?
Perhaps not to give your 12-year-old-boys tools to start fires.