Skip to content
Search AI Powered

Latest Stories

Trump's Handpicked Special Master Just Smacked Trump Down In First Hearing In Documents Case

Trump's Handpicked Special Master Just Smacked Trump Down In First Hearing In Documents Case
United States District Court for the Eastern District of New York; Saul Loeb/AFP via Getty Images
Make us preferred on Google

Raymond Dearie—former Chief Judge of the United States District Court for the Eastern District of New York who has been appointed to act as the special master and review documents seized by the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) from former President Donald Trump's Mar-a-Lago estate in August—challenged Trump's lawyers during the first hearing in the case.

Dearie questioned Trump's lawyers for refusing to back up Trump's claim he declassified documents recovered from the residence.


He told them:

“My view of it is: you can’t have your cake and eat it."

Trump claimed the 11,000 documents the FBI recovered from Mar-a-Lago were rightfully in his possession, including about 100 with classified markings. But Dearie questioned the refusal on the part of Trump's lawyers to present proof showing this was the case.

Dearie was firm he would not allow Trump's "litigation strategy" to hamper his review or "to dictate the outcome of my recommendations." He also openly wondered what his role would be if the government says certain documents are classified and Trump’s side disagrees but doesn’t offer proof to support their claim.

He said:

”What am I looking for?....As far as I am concerned, that’s the end of it. What business is it of the court?”

Dearie was appointed to serve as the special master last week by Judge Aileen Cannon, who sits on the United States District Court for the Southern District of Florida.

Dearie was appointed after Cannon rejected a Justice Department (DOJ) request to let federal prosecutors continue their review of classified documents.

Cannon ordered the special master review be completed by November 30. She stressed the importance of appointing "a neutral third party" to conduct the review "in an expedited and orderly fashion."

Dearie was the only candidate Trump's legal team and the DOJ could agree on. Trump had previously rejected all of the DOJ's picks and suggested the investigation is politically motivated.

That seemed to be the direction Trump's legal team were taking. James Trusty, one of Trump's attorneys, said Trump shouldn't have to mount a defense now when criminal charges have not yet been filed.

Trusty said:

“It’s not about gamesmanship. It’s about not having seen the documents. ... We are not in a position, nor should we be in a position at this juncture, to fully disclose a substantive defense."
“We shouldn’t have to be in a position to have to disclose declarations and witness statements.”

It was Trusty's statements that prompted Dearie to suggest Trump's legal team was trying to “have your cake and eat it."

Many concurred with Dearie's assessment.



Complicating matters for Trump is the fact he is on the hook for all legal fees regarding Dearie's review.

In her ruling last week, Judge Cannon said Trump would have to pay the full cost of the special master, handing the DOJ a major concession.

The news prompted many commentators to openly mock Trump, who for decades has avoided or flat out refused to pay his debts.

More from People/donald-trump

Hayden Panetierre
The Rosie O'Donnell Show/YouTube

Video Of Young Hayden Panettiere Belting Out Britney Spears On Rosie O'Donnell's Talk Show Resurfaces—And We're Sobbing

As tributes to actor Hayden Panettiere are shared after her untimely death at age 36, people are remembering that the star of Nashville and Heroes also loved to sing and that her star rose at a very young age.

Panettiere got her first credit for a commercial at just 11 months old and her first steady acting job at age four as Sarah Roberts on the soap opera One Life to Live. From age 7 to 9 she played Lizzie Spaulding on the soap opera Guiding Light.

Keep ReadingShow less
Screenshots of Tim Pool and Mason
Surrounded/Jubilee

Right-Wing Podcaster Storms Off Debate Show Set After Being Epically Called Out For Grifting Off Of 'Civil War' Claims

Right-wing podcaster Tim Pool was widely mocked after storming off the set of the debate series Surrounded when he was grilled over his constant claims that the United States is tracking towards a "civil war."

Pool recently appeared in Jubilee’s series, where progressive commentator Mason challenged his repeated warnings that the U.S. could be heading toward a “civil war.”

Keep ReadingShow less
Scrreenshot of Jon Ossoff; Donald Trump and Natalie Harp
@Acyn/X; Mandel Ngan/AFP via Getty Images

Jon Ossoff Rips Trump During Speech With Brutal Dig About His Problematic Relationship With Fawning Young Aide

Georgia Democratic Senator Jon Ossoff took aim at President Donald Trump's problematic relationship with his young aide Natalie Harp during a campaign speech on Sunday.

Last month, Trump reportedly took extraordinary security precautions during a trip to Turkey, secretly switching from Air Force One to a military aircraft after an alleged threat. Although he was publicly seen boarding the presidential jet, he was later transported to the military plane concealed inside a catering truck.

Keep ReadingShow less
Screenshots of Donald Trump and John Teichert
Fox News

Trump Just Threatened To 'Bomb The Sh*t Out Of' Oman—And Even Fox News Is Flabbergasted

Even Fox News is stunned after President Donald Trump threatened to "bomb the sh*t out of" Oman if the country "gets in the way" of talks between the U.S. and Iran.

Trump’s remarks came amid stalled U.S.-Iran negotiations and separate talks between Iran and Oman over how commercial shipping could resume through the Strait of Hormuz. Fox News correspondent Trey Yingst reported that Trump warned the U.S. would attack Oman if it interfered with American efforts, though Fox did not release audio of the interview.

Keep ReadingShow less
Screenshot of Donald Trump speaking at rally
@Acyn/X

MAGA Rally Crowd Applauds After Trump Says He'll 'Never Apologize' For Higher Gas Prices In Surreal Viral Video

President Donald Trump was met with applause from supporters in a surreal moment at a MAGA rally on Long Island, New York, after he told attendees he'd "never apologize" for higher gas costs due to his war with Iran.

A recent Gallup poll found that 55 percent of respondents felt their finances were worsening, a level of pessimism exceeding that seen during both the COVID-19 pandemic and the 2008 financial crisis. This comes as the highly unpopular war in Iran continues to rage, sending gas prices surging. Americans have spent an additional $59 billion on fuel since Trump launched the war.

Keep ReadingShow less