Skip to content
Search AI Powered

Latest Stories

California School Sparks Outrage With Response After Students Defecate On Teacher's Pride Flag

California School Sparks Outrage With Response After Students Defecate On Teacher's Pride Flag
Norberto Cuenca/Getty Images
Make us preferred on Google

The school superintendent in Paso Robles, California left many outraged by their response to an incident in which students stole a teacher's LGBTQ+ Pride flag and then posted video of them defecating on it to TikTok.

Rather than punish the students involved, Superintendent Curt Dubost announced a district-wide ban on large flags on school grounds, calling flags a "politicized issue."


Students have organized a community forum and protest in response to what many have called a cowardly and anti-LGBTQ+ response to the incident.

Last month, two students walked into chemistry teacher Evan Holtz's classroom, ripped down his Pride flag in front of him and fled.

Holtz tried to chase them down, but lost them in the crowded hallway. Shortly thereafter, a video was posted to TikTok showing Holtz's flag shoved into a toilet, where one of the students defecated on it.

Holtz told the San Luis Obispo Tribune he had displayed the flag so LGBTQ+ students in his class would feel safe and welcome.

Colleague Geoffrey Land told the Tribune the incident was a direct affront to that spirit.

"It was definitely an act of hate directed at the LGBTQ+ community. And a lot of students...felt that attack very acutely."

Students at the school agree.

Five of them wrote a letter to the Tribune on National Coming Out Day, October 11, explaining how the incident made them feel.

They wrote:

"The attack on the flag was an attack on our security as students, and deserved a firm condemnation."

But instead of addressing the problem and reprimanding the students involved, Dubost has chosen to stay ideologically neutral.

Disregarding LGBTQ+ students' feeling threatened by the incident, he banned flags larger than 2 feet by 2 feet to avoid a "slippery slope."

As he put it to the Tribune:

"We don't want to turn it into a politicized issue where a student enters a classroom and looks up, 'Oh, there's a rainbow flag here, or there's a blue lives matter flag here — that determines what the partisanship is of my teacher.' We think that that's a real slippery slope."
"And so we continue to believe that this is a very reasonable compromise solution that allows rainbows, but within reason."

The students characterized the move as a de facto ban on Pride flags placing the onus for rectifying an act of aggression onto the victims.

"As the standard flag size is 3' x 5', the school purposefully banned the very flag that was desecrated. What message does this send to students?"
"The flag ban means the school has allowed the haters to win, while LGBTQ+ students feel punished for wanting to be seen and supported."

On social media, Dubost's response to the incident left many outraged.

Chip James/Facebook

Patrick Nailon/Facebook

Meredith Vezina/Facebook

Jamie Neely/Facebook

Dee Wallace/Facebook









Dubost has not responded to the backlash as of this writing.

More from News/lgbtq

Screenshot of Mark Carney; Donald Trump
@sarobertson_/X; Aaron Schwartz/AFP via Getty Images

Canadian Prime Minister Mark Carney Trolls Trump With Perfect 'Conspiracy' Joke After Technical Glitch During Speech

Canadian Prime Minister Mark Carney had people laughing after he made a clever "conspiracy" joke aimed at President Donald Trump after his teleprompter cut out mid-speech on Wednesday.

Carney was addressing the press and supporters as part of his government's pledge to build more rental homes. A press release announced that "over the next three years, Canada’s new government, in partnership with the City of Toronto, will invest over $2.7 billion to build more than 18 housing projects across Toronto."

Keep ReadingShow less
Nurse Hadley Vlahos
@nursehadley/TikTok

TikToker Speaks Out About Just How Difficult It Is To Get A Divorce In Mississippi—And Wow

While we're well into the 21st century, it's becoming increasingly difficult in the United States for women to execute what should be basic social rights, like getting a divorce. But states like Mississippi and most of the "Bible Belt" are making it practically impossible for people like Nurse Hadley Vlahos to fully separate from a former partner.

Though Vlahos is known on TikTok and YouTube for being a hospice nurse and wrote about end-of-life care in her New York Times bestselling book, The In-Between with How to Let Go to follow, she's now dedicating much more of her platform to documenting her three-year process of just filing for divorce, not including all that happened in the years before and in the year and a half since.

Keep ReadingShow less
Screenshot of Donald Trump
C-SPAN

Trump's Bonkers Quip About What He'd Do If He Coached In The WNBA Just Resurfaced—And It's A Doozy

President Donald Trump is raising eyebrows again after a resurfaced clip showed him trying to bring NBA star LeBron James into the debate around transgender athletes while mocking the WNBA.

The WNBA has been at the center of controversy after Indiana Fever player Sophie Cunningham said she wants "to protect young girls in a locker room, or young girls in sport who shouldn’t have to go against biological men.” She called her beliefs "common sense," stressing that "it’s really important to protect children, and that’s little girls who are also involved in that category."

Keep ReadingShow less
Billie Eilish
Savion Washington/FilmMagic/Getty Images

Photos Of Billie Eilish From Her Upcoming Movie Just Dropped—And Fans Barely Recognize Her

The latest film adaptation of Sylvia Plath's The Bell Jar is led by Women Talking and Splice director Sarah Polley.

As of March, Billie Eilish was cast in the leading role, Esther Greenwood, who goes through a form of mental burnout and psychosis over the course of the book, with a plot that becomes increasingly unhinged and unreliable.

Keep ReadingShow less
Screenshot of Donald Trump
Fox News

Trump Hit With Reality Check After Giving Himself An 'A+' On The Economy In Delusional Interview

President Donald Trump was criticized after he claimed in an interview with Fox News that he should be given an "A+" for the current economy after claiming the "costs are all coming down now."

A recent Gallup poll found that 55 percent of respondents felt their finances were worsening, a level of pessimism exceeding that seen during both the COVID-19 pandemic and the 2008 financial crisis. This comes as the highly unpopular war in Iran continues to rage, sending gas prices surging. Americans have spent an additional $59 billion on fuel since Trump launched the war.

Keep ReadingShow less