Skip to content
Search AI Powered

Latest Stories

Publisher of The Washington Post Just Savaged Donald Trump's Refusal to Hold Mohammed bin Salman Responsible for the Murder of Jamal Khashoggi in an Epic Takedown

Brutal.

Make us preferred on Google

In an unusual move, on Tuesday President Donald Trump issued an official statement, titled "Statement from President Donald J. Trump on Standing with Saudi Arabia" (and subtitled "America First!") in which he announced his solidarity with Saudi Arabia in the face of mounting evidence that the Crown Prince, Mohammed bin Salman, ordered the murder of Jamal Khashoggi:

The statement read in part:


"King Salman and Crown Prince Mohammad bin Salman vigorously deny any knowledge of the planning or execution of the murder of Mr. Khashoggi," the president insisted. "Our intelligence agencies continue to assess all information, but it could very well be that the Crown Prince had knowledge of this tragic event -- maybe he did and maybe he didn't!"

This did not sit well with many, not the least of whom was Fred Ryan, CEO and Publisher of The Washington Post, where Jamal Khashoggi was a columnist.

Ryan penned a scathing rebuke of Trump's refusal to acknowledge that Khashoggi was murdered on the orders of the Crown Prince, calling it "a betrayal of long-established American values of respect for human rights and the expectation of trust and honesty in our strategic relationships."

In his statement, Ryan spoke for many:

“President Trump’s response to the brutal murder of journalist Jamal Khashoggi is a betrayal of long-established American values of respect for human rights and the expectation of trust and honesty in our strategic relationships. He is placing personal relationships and commercial interests above American interests in his desire to continue to do business as usual with the Crown Prince of Saudi Arabia."

He went on:

"President Trump is correct in saying the world is a very dangerous place. His surrender to this state-ordered murder will only make it more so. An innocent man, brutally slain, deserves better, as does the cause of truth and justice and human rights."

People hailed Ryan's statement.

Trump on Tuesday afternoon insinuated the alliance between the United States and Saudi Arabia was far too valuable to be challenged.

Trump's penchant for trusting the word of autocrats over his own intelligence agencies was in full view.

Trump reiterated his solidarity with Saudi Arabia later to reporters.

"If we abandon Saudi it would be a terrible mistake," Trump later told reporters. He added he was "not going to destroy the economy of our country" by potentially disrupting the flow of oil from the Middle Eastern kingdom.

Trump also cited the alleged $450 billion worth of Saudi money he claims is necessary to keep our economy chugging along. "

After my heavily negotiated trip to Saudi Arabia last year," Trump said, "the Kingdom agreed to spend and invest $450 billion in the United States."

Trump has repeated this "pants on fire" lie innumerable times since Khashoggi's disappearance.

"It's a very simple equation for me," Trump gloated. "I'm about make America great again and I'm about America first."

Ryan was having none of it.

"In this failure of leadership from President Trump," Ryan concludes, "it now falls to Congress to stand up for America’s true values and lasting interests.”

More from People/donald-trump

Screenshot of Curtis Sliwa; Zohran Mamdani
@lizkimtweets/X; Lev Radin/Pacific Press/LightRocket via Getty Images

NYC GOP Mayoral Candidate Has Epic Reaction To Calls For Mamdani To Be Banned From Attending 9/11 Ceremony

Former Republican mayoral candidate Curtis Sliwa did not mince words when asked for his thoughts about calls for New York City Mayor Zohran Mamdani not to attend a ceremony honoring the 25th anniversary of the September 11 terror attacks.

Republicans have previously faced criticism for suggesting that Mamdani would have put New York City in even more danger during the terror attacks of September 11, 2001, by siding with the attackers, who were Muslim. Mamdani has spoken publicly about receiving hate messages, including ones declaring, “the only good Muslim is a dead Muslim.”

Keep ReadingShow less
Rosario Dawson (left) revealed her cameo was cut from Tom Holland’s (right) Spider-Man: Brand New Day.
Ernesto Ruscio/Getty Images; Sony/Marvel Studios

Rosario Dawson Reveals Her Cameo In 'Spider-Man: Brand New Day' Was Cut—And Her Mom's Reaction Has Fans Cackling

Fans expected Spider-Man: Brand New Day to deliver its share of surprise cameos, but one familiar Marvel face apparently got caught in the editing web.

In resurfaced footage from July’s GalaxyCon in Raleigh, North Carolina, 47-year-old Sin City and Ahsoka star Rosario Dawson told fellow actor Vincent D’Onofrio that she had slipped back into her Daredevil scrubs as Claire Temple for the blockbuster.

Keep ReadingShow less
Jamie Lee Curtis
Errich Petersen/SXSW Conference & Festivals/Getty Images

Jamie Lee Curtis Clears The Air After Saying She Had An 'Awful' Experience Filming 'New Girl'

Every actor has their preferences when it comes to stage production, and Jamie Lee Curtis is no exception, especially when it comes to comedy.

Curtis was recently touring to promote and answer questions about her latest show, Newlyweds on NBC, which she co-created with Black-ish and Ugly Betty's Gail Lerner. The Freakier Friday actress explained that she was excited to create a story that centered around older characters and finding love later in life, following a couple portrayed by Tea Leoni and Tim Daly.

Keep ReadingShow less
Ashley Callingbull
@corrinaaligned/Instagram

Former Miss Universe Canada Praised After Calling Out Contestants' Costumes For Cultural Appropriation On Live TV

Ashley Callingbull, Canada's 2024 Miss Universe contestant, made history that year when she became the first First Nations competitor to win the pageant.

Now, she's using that platform to call out other contestants for cultural appropriation in their pageant appearances.

Keep ReadingShow less
screenshots from videos of ICE agent and Carolina Molina
@tinyandstrongthings/Instagram; CNN/TikTok

ICE Agent Points Gun In Virginia Woman's Face And Claims She Tried To 'Run Us Over'—But Her Video Tells A Different Story

On August 10, Carolina Molina was driving to immigration lawyers' offices in Falls Church, Virginia, to drop off business cards. A licensed counselor, Molina offers services for immigrants who may be dealing with trauma.

Seeing Department of Homeland Security's Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) agents patrolling around the immigration law offices, Molina admitted to rolling down her window and yelling at ICE as they were abducting two men, calling the agents "ho" and "bitch." Molina said the agents took offense, used their vehicles to box in her car, brandished a gun, and threatened her.

Keep ReadingShow less