Skip to content
Search AI Powered

Latest Stories

Donald Trump Just Posted a Tweet Praising Saudi Arabia for Lower Oil Prices and People Are Calling Him Out for Exactly the Reason You Think

Donald Trump Just Posted a Tweet Praising Saudi Arabia for Lower Oil Prices and People Are Calling Him Out for Exactly the Reason You Think
US President Donald Trump (R) shakes hands with Saudi Arabia's Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman in the Oval Office of the White House on March 20, 2018 in Washington, DC. (Photo by MANDEL NGAN/AFP/Getty Images)

SMDH.

Make us preferred on Google

President Donald Trump thanked Saudi Arabia for lower oil prices in a tweet earlier today.

"$54, was just $82," the president wrote. "Thank you to Saudi Arabia, but let's go lower!"


The president was immediately criticized for his statements. His words, for many, served as an example of his unwavering support for Saudi Arabia amid outrage over Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman's role in ordering the murder of Washington Post columnist Jamal Khashoggi. Others pointed out that the president's claim about oil prices is, in fact, misleading.

Saudi Arabia had initially denied any involvement in Khashoggi’s disappearance but claimed via state media last month that Khashoggi, a Washington Post columnist, had been strangled in a fistfight with 15 men sent to confront him at the Saudi consulate in Turkey. The kingdom blamed some of the crown prince’s inner circle for the murder, and several high-ranking officials were dismissed if not detained outright.

The intelligence community has concluded that Crown Prince bin Salman ordered Khoshoggi's murder. Last month, sources familiar with Khashoggi’s case told CNN that Khashoggi’s murder “was organized by a high-ranking officer with the General Intelligence Presidency, Saudi Arabia’s main intelligence service.”

The report continues:

One of those sources described the officer as close to the inner circle of Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman. It is unclear whether the crown prince authorized an interrogation, abduction or killing. Several officials CNN spoke with said the mission could not have happened without the direct knowledge of the 33-year-old crown prince, the kingdom’s de facto ruler, who is known by his initials “MBS.”
A second source said the officer assembled and sent his own team to interrogate Khashoggi. They suspected Khashoggi of having ties to the kingdom’s arch rival, Qatar, the source said. There has been no evidence to substantiate Khashoggi had such ties.
Another source told CNN the mission’s organizer was not transparent about what he told Riyadh, which, the source said, explained why the government had no clear information for days.

A Turkish official told the network that Khashoggi’s body was cut into pieces after he was killed.

Yesterday, however, the president, in a 649-word-statement, there was “nothing definitive” linking the Crown Prince to the murder.

“Our intelligence agencies continue to assess all information, but it could very well be that the crown prince had knowledge of this tragic event – maybe he did and maybe he didn’t!" the president said. "That being said, we may never know all of the facts surrounding the murder of Mr Jamal Khashoggi. In any case, our relationship is with the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.”

The president's response to the scandal has been criticized as largely ineffectual.

The president initially told Washington Post reporters that “obviously there’s been deception, and there’s been lies” regarding Khashoggi’s killing. But he also said Saudi Arabia is “an incredible ally” and pushed back against assertions that Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman had ordered Saudi operatives to kill the reporter.

“Nobody has told me he’s responsible. Nobody has told me he’s not responsible. We haven’t reached that point . . . I would love if he wasn’t responsible,” Trump said at the time.

Trump characterized Saudi Arabia’s explanation for Khashoggi’s killing as “credible,” but defended his son-in-law Jared Kushner’s close relationship with the crown prince amid concerns that it had become a liability for the White House.

“They’re two young guys. Jared doesn’t know him well or anything. They are just two young people. They are the same age. They like each other, I believe,” Trump said.

The president also shot down the possibility that the scandal would disrupt U.S.-Saudi arms sales.

“It’s the largest order in history,” Trump said. “To give that up would hurt us far more than it hurts them. Then all they’ll do is go to Russia or go to China. All that’s doing is hurting us.” He added: “With that being said, something will take place,” though he did not elaborate as to what those actions might be.

More from People/donald-trump

Brooklyn Beckham
@brooklynbeckham/TikTok

Brooklyn Beckham Grosses Out The Internet After Boiling Pasta In Seawater For New Cooking Video

Brooklyn Beckham, the oldest son of David and Victoria Beckham, is making a name for himself on TikTok, but it might not be the name that most people would want: a questionable cook, at best.

Being a Beckham, his TikTok channel was quick to take off, but he's recently pivoted in the direction of at-home cooking and vying for a degree in the culinary arts. Unfortunately, viewers have not been enthusiastic about his culinary creations.

Keep ReadingShow less
Mike Myers as Cat in the Hat
Universal Pictures

The 'Cat In The Hat' Suit From The 2003 Mike Myers Movie Is Being Auctioned Off—And It's Legit Terrifying

If you've ever wanted to own a piece of film history, now's your chance.

Remember back in 2003 when Mike Myers starred in a live action version of Dr. Seuss' The Cat in the Hat? It was low-key kind of terrifying in that uncanny valley way, if you recall.

Keep ReadingShow less
Rosie O'Donnell; Jesse Watters
Bruce Glikas/Getty Images; Roy Rochlin/Getty Images

Rosie O'Donnell Blasts Jesse Watters After His 'Gang Of Unruly Reporter Yellers' Accosts Her At Theater

Rosie O'Donnell recently came back to the United States from her home in Ireland to star in a 75-minute long, limited-run, one-person Off-Broadway show titled Common Knowledge at New York City's Daryl Roth Theatre from July 22 through August 8, 2026.

On August 5, O'Donnell took to her TikTok account to share a pointed message for Fox News talking head Jesse Watters. The controversial sycophant of MAGA Republican President Donald Trump has been sending members of his team to ambush people and aggressively ask them to be on Watters' show.

Keep ReadingShow less
Omar Jimenez and Nancy Mace from CNN interview
CNN

Nancy Mace Gets Blunt Civics Lesson After Claiming Every Muslim Elected Official Is A 'Trojan Horse'

South Carolina Republican Representative Nancy Mace was called out by CNN anchor Omar Jimenez for her lack of understanding of the First Amendment after she published a series of Islamophobic tweets, including one referring to every Muslim elected official in the country as a "Trojan horse."

Mace's posts came after Abdul El-Sayed won Michigan's Democratic primary for U.S. Senate. El-Sayed, a physician who campaigned on expanding healthcare access, strengthening the economy, and ending unconditional U.S. military aid to Israel, became the first progressive to win a statewide primary in a state carried by President Donald Trump in the 2024 election. He is set to face former Republican Congressman Mike Rogers in November.

Keep ReadingShow less
Bill Cassidy; Donald Trump
Kevin Dietsch/Getty Images; Chip Somodevilla/Getty Images

GOP Senator Hit With Brutal Reminder After Slamming Trump Over Executive Order To Break Up MMR Vaccine

Louisiana Republican Senator Bill Cassidy was criticized for voting to confirm Robert F. Kennedy Jr. as Secretary of Health and Human Services (HHS) after he spoke out against President Donald Trump's executive order recommending that the measles, mumps and rubella (MMR) vaccine be broken up into separate shots.

The new policy would recommend giving the MMR vaccine as three individual injections rather than as a combined shot, while also spacing childhood vaccinations across separate doctor visits.

Keep ReadingShow less