Skip to content
Search AI Powered

Latest Stories

Donald Trump Said He Wants to Arm 20% of Teachers in Schools, and Teachers Just Responded

Donald Trump Said He Wants to Arm 20% of Teachers in Schools, and Teachers Just Responded
WASHINGTON, DC - FEBRUARY 21: (AFP OUT) U.S. President Donald Trump (C) speaks during a listening session with Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School students who survivied last weeks mass shooting (L-R) Jonathan Blank, Julie Cordover and Carson Abt and others in the State Dining Room at the White House February 21, 2018 in Washington, DC. Trump is hosting the session in the wake of last week's mass shooting at the high school in Parkland, Florida, that left 17 students and teachers dead. (Photo by Chip Somodevilla/Getty Images)

They have some opinions on the matter.

After President Donald Trump suggested that arming 20 percent of educators would help curb the spate of mass shootings, teachers largely condemned his proposal.

"So let’s say you had 20 percent of your teaching force, because that’s pretty much the number,” Trump said describing his plans for teachers to be armed using concealed carry during a listening sessionwith survivors of last week's mass shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida, which killed 17 people. “If you had a teacher who was adept at firearms they could very well end the attack very quickly."


You can watch the president suggest this to the survivors in the video below:

“We need solutions that will keep guns out of the hands of those who want to use them to massacre innocent children and educators,” Lily Eskelsen García, president of the National Education Association, told Education Week. “Arming teachers does nothing to prevent that.”

A slew of teachers took to social media to criticize the proposal. Many said that they would never agree to carry a gun around children. Others joined the chorus of critics demanding teachers receive hazard pay for their troubles. And still more others pointed out that children would be better served with school supplies and textbooks than by arming teachers.

Other people relayed messages from family members who happen to be teachers. One social media user quoted his brother, a high school teacher in Los Angeles who said that "if teachers are required to carry guns that he and most of the teachers he knows will resign immediately."

Two parents of children who perished in the 2012 Sandy Hook Elementary School massacre also weighed in.

"Rather than arming [teachers] with a firearm, I would arm them with the knowledge of how to prevent these attacks in the first place" by making sure that troubled students get the mental health and counseling services they need, said Nicole Hockley, a co-founder of Sandy Hook Promise, a nonprofit that works to protect children from gun violence, whose 6-year-old son Dylan died during the massacre.

Mark Barden, whose son Daniel, 7, also died at Sandy Hook––and whose wife, Jackie, is also a teacher––said foisting this responsibility on teachers would be unreasonable.

"She [Jackie] will tell you that schoolteachers have more than enough responsibility right now than to have the awesome responsibility of lethal force to take a life," said Barden, another Sandy Hook Promise founder.

Even Senator Marco Rubio (R-FL), who last night faced off with survivors of the Parkland shooting at a CNN Town Hall, disagreed with the president's proposal.

"Well, first, I don't support that," Rubio said after a teacher told him she could not fathom bringing a gun––let alone using it––in a school. "I think I join everyone here in saying what you've done is incredible heroism... I don't support that and I admit to you right now that I answer that as much as a father as I do as a senator. The notion that my kids are going to school with teachers that are armed with a weapon is, frankly, something I'm not comfortable with."

The president, meanwhile, is already denying that he ever suggested arming teachers. He insisted that he was misquoted by CNN and NBC, which he once again branded as "Fake News."

He later doubled down on his support for the NRA.

"What many people don't understand, or don't want to understand, is that Wayne, Chris and the folks who work so hard at the @NRA are Great People and Great American Patriots. They love our Country and will do the right thing," he wrote. "MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN!"

More from People/donald-trump

Andy Ogles; Bad Bunny
Heather Diehl/Getty Images; Neilson Barnard/Getty Images

MAGA Rep. Dragged After Claiming Bad Bunny's Halftime Show Depicted 'Gay Pornography'

Tennessee Republican Representative Andy Ogles was widely mocked after he claimed Bad Bunny's Super Bowl halftime show was "pure smut" that depicted "gay pornography"—even going so far as to write a letter to the Energy and Commerce Committee demanding "a formal congressional inquiry" into the "indecent broadcast."

The rapper, whose real name is Benito Antonio Martínez Ocasio, delivered a largely Spanish-language show that has been hailed as a "love letter to Puerto Rico" and that drew from his latest album, Debí Tirar Más Fotos, which won the Grammy for Album of the Year just a week ago.

Keep ReadingShow less
Chris Brown (left) and Bad Bunny (right) are pictured separately amid online backlash and praise following Bad Bunny’s record-breaking Super Bowl halftime performance.
Marc Piasecki/WireImage; Neilson Barnard/Getty Images

Chris Brown Slammed After Appearing To Throw Bizarre Shade At Bad Bunny's Halftime Show

Bad Bunny’s record-breaking halftime show pulled in over 135 million viewers—fans, stans, casual watchers, and yes, professional haters who tune in just to be mad. Which brings me to the loudest one in the room: Chris Brown.

Brown took to social media to offer an unsolicited—and frankly bizarre—reaction to the Puerto Rico-inspired performance, posting a cryptic message that immediately rubbed people the wrong way.

Keep ReadingShow less
Todd Richards; Big Air Snowboarder Seungeun Yu
@btoddrichards/Instagram; Ulrik Pedersen/NurPhoto via Getty Images

NBC Broadcaster Speaks Out After He's Caught On Hot Mic Trashing Men's Snowboarding Competition At Olympics

Well, we've officially got our first hot mic oopsie of the 2026 Milano Cortina Olympics!

Broadcaster Todd Richards took to Instagram Sunday to apologize for comments he made during the men's big air snowboarding event that he didn't realize were being broadcast.

Keep ReadingShow less
Amber Glenn; Donald Trump
Andy Cheung/Getty Images; Samuel Corum/Getty Images

Olympic Figure Skater Reveals 'Scary Amount' Of Threats She Got After Her Criticism Of Trump

Amber Glenn, the first openly queer woman to represent the U.S. in figure skating, spoke out in an Instagram post about the torrent of threats she's received after criticizing President Donald Trump's treatment of the LGBTQ+ community.

Glenn had voiced criticism of the Trump administration earlier in the week during a pre-Olympics press conference, describing the period as especially difficult for herself and others in the LGBTQ+ community. Her comments were among several political statements made by U.S. athletes in the run-up to the Winter Games in Milan, Italy.

Keep ReadingShow less
Rick Scott
Kevin Dietsch/Getty Images

MAGA Senator Slammed After Saying U.S. Olympians Critical Of Trump Should Be 'Stripped Of Their Olympic Uniform'

Florida Republican Senator Rick Scott was slammed after sharing a video criticizing U.S. Olympians who are conflicted about representing the United States amid President Donald Trump's controversial policies.

Scott spoke out after multiple Olympians made headlines for criticizing the Trump administration amid its nationwide immigration crackdown.

Keep ReadingShow less