Most Read

News & Politics

Mom Has Warning For Parents After 1-Year-Old's Sippy Cup Explodes And Sends Her To The Hospital

Mom Has Warning For Parents After 1-Year-Old's Sippy Cup Explodes And Sends Her To The Hospital
Dzevada Becirovic

Parenting can require mothers and fathers to be on high alert, and dangers can sometimes come from places they'd least expect.

Dzevada Becirovic of Boise, Idaho, the mother of a one-year-old son, has issued a warning to fellow parents about sippy cups.

Becirovic says her son's light-up sippy cup exploded in her face while she was filling it with milk.

The explosion left her with burns and chemical exposure to her lungs and face.

Mother suffers burns after she says sippy cup exploded in her

"I was just standing right here. I grabbed milk out of the fridge -- just regular milk. I went and poured it. Turned around to put the milk back, I turned around to grab the lid and I was about to put it on it and it blew," she told KTVB.

The cup was a Nuby-brand 360° Insulated Light-up Wonder Cup which comes with a lithium battery. After the explosion, Becirovic enlisted the help of a friend to watch her kids while she went to the hospital.

"It was super scary," she said. "I immediately couldn't breathe -- my lungs were on fire, my throat, I couldn't stop coughing ... It did a lot of damage, and what would [it] have done in his hands? I don't even want to imagine. I really don't. I'm scared to death of something like this happening again with another product or another toy or happening to somebody else."

An attorney for Luv n' Care Ltd., the company that makes the cups, says this is the first time the company has received complaints about the cups. The attorney added that all cups undergo testing and inspections before they're shipped to stores to be sold and that the company doesn't believe it would have exploded had proper handling instructions been followed. The manufacturer has requested she send them the cup for inspection, but Becirovic says she's waiting on legal advice and for a third party to inspect it before she feels comfortable sending it back.

Becirovic, who says she wants the cups recalled, insists she's always followed the care instructions, which specify to never put the cup in the microwave and to always wash it by hand.

"If it had been in [my son's] hands, I really don't even want to imagine what could have happened," she said. "If it choked me up that bad and burned me, it could have taken a limb off a child that little."

"Obviously they missed something," she added. "I just want to get the word out there in case somebody has it just to throw it away and get it away from a kid's reach before it hurts them."

Beciviroc's warning has caused many to express harsh words for the cup's manufacturers.

6abc Action News/Facebook

6abc Action News/Facebook

6abc Action News/Facebook

Fox Carolina News/Facebook


Watch out, parents. Best to avoid these.